Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this isnt done so dont say i should remove the old air cleaner mount coz im lazy and havent got to it yet.

I made this out of a old K&N and aluminum pipe i got at my father inlaw's tow yard where he works as a mechanic. FOR FREE! The only down side is the oil drip line for the turbo to feed off of.

I wanna know if where i have it placed will hurt it or will it still suck in the oil it needs?

I used the OE that i "RIPPED" out of the old air cleaner....im cheap ok.

Tell me what you ALL think.

THANKS,
Garrett

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
did u do some 0-60 times with ur stock filter? Do some now with ur new filter and see if theress any difference. Dont let the louder sound confuse u with speed.

·
Registered
1980 300D
309 Posts
It appears your "cold air" intake is actually a hot air intake, as hot air from the engine compartment - engine, radiator, etc - is now feeding your diesel.

·
Registered
1982 300d turbo
32 Posts
Ive seen this done on Chevy S-10s. the K&N filter does allow more air through and does give a small boost in performance, because of the filter, not the set up. But this in no way is a cold air intake. it does make the engine compartment neater looking. i have seen people build these insulated walls between the engine, radiator and intake to "block out" the heat....i dont think it works though. what would be cool is to modify a spare hood to see if you can increase the stock ram air set up. the air coming from outside the hood is a lot cooler than the air in the engine compartment. like i said it does look nice. do you know if they make the K&N circular filters for the w123s?

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blah Blah other people have the same set up and say cold air .....sorry for missleading people , but to answer the other not i havent done ones with the stock ...maybe17sec but not it FEELS like 14s or 12s 0-60.
I raced a 99 buick and won ,but the guy was ghetto and probely stoned coz it was to easy.

Anyway im going to start sending new pix as they come.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes they do , i saw a polish site and i guy had his straight on the turbo not a pipe....and cold air goes from the front of the car back....hence there is "COOLER AIR" going throught the intake also coz of the fact there is not steel holding in the heat from being mounted to the engine in conguntion to holding heat naturally coz of the materialits made from.

Not a "true" cold air intake ,but indeed a cold air intake.

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
BernieBenz, Yes, K&N does offer a round filter, I have it on my car. It is cool that you can reuse it, but there is no performance gain.

·
Registered
1982 300d turbo
32 Posts
thanks lancer. i have one in my S-10 and i thought it felt a little better than the stock filters. i think im going to stick w stock for the benz though.

·
Registered
1982 300D,1986300E, 1991300TE AND GROWING
80 Posts
THE BLUEISH LINE YOU ARE HOLDING IN YOUR HAND DID YOU HOOK IT TO THE AIR INTAKE? ALSO ARE THERE ANY OTHER VACUME LINES TO HOOK UP? I HAVE A AIR INTAKE FROM A HONDA FREEBIE WITH SOME MODS I CAN GET IT TO WORK. JUST DONT WANT TO HURT ANY THING. ITS MY DAILY DRIVER.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Setup is mechanically fine (have done it a million times in my rice days), but from a performanc point of view you should get very little gains except that maybe your turbo will spool up faster.

For best results get a heat shield fabricated or fit a housing over the filter with a feed from under the bumper (colder air down low).

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes i did hook it up to the intake....ill have pix later and yeah was thinking of taking out a fog light and trying to make good source of cold air.

Just been lazy and cheat.

Thanx for the input about going under the hood.

G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts