Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560 EUROSEL 1984 190e8V 2000 e320 sport
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone one of you guys get rid of your stock 190e air and mount a cold air intake or ram air intake??? pics if you have pleasei work as a sheet metal person but no matter what config i come up with besides a ram air which invloves a scoop can i configure a possible scenario to mount on the body where i can close the hood.

·
Registered
84 190e 2.3 soon to be LS1 powered
95 Posts
If all your ducting is there, you already have a cold air intake. It pulls air from infront of the car directly into the air cleaner, no under engine air is intorduced to the air flow coming from the front of the car.

Why fix what is not broken? No sharp bends or air mufflers to effect flow.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
If all your ductin is there, you already have a cold air intake. It pulls air from infront of the car directly into the air cleaner, no umder engine air is intorduced to the air flow coming from the front of the car.

Why fix what is not broken? No sharp bends or air mufflers to effect flow.
Agreed. You might want to learn the definition of a ram-air intake: "...uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold."

You already have one smart guy. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,406 Posts
You already have one, but its pathetically undersized and not really a ram air intake since it breaths from behind the driver's side headlight. Its mostly there to muffle the noise of the engine.

Not exactly 'efficient' by any stretch of the imagination.

Now this is more like it.

·
Registered
84 190e 2.3 soon to be LS1 powered
95 Posts
ok but he is not asking for a ram air, he is asking about a cold air intake. I agree it is a bit undersized, but unless you are modifing your engine, it works very well.

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,406 Posts
Its still too small and inefficient. The whole engine breaths through 1/2" gap at the side of the radiator. The round part of the intake tube narrows down to just 2" at its smallest point. Its great for muffling sound of the engine but it also murders fuel economy and top end power. The most efficient CAI is a large, round forward facing intake ahead of the radiator. Call it ram air or whatever you want. It works. Thats why mercedes used it on the 16 valve cars where noise wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Its still too small and inefficient. The whole engine breaths through 1/2" gap at the side of the radiator. The round part of the intake tube narrows down to just 2" at its smallest point. Its great for muffling sound of the engine but it also murders fuel economy and top end power. The most efficient CAI is a large, round forward facing intake ahead of the radiator. Call it ram air or whatever you want. It works. Thats why mercedes used it on the 16 valve cars where noise wasn't an issue.

If you simply want more air to "get in" then get yourself the scoop and hose from a 260E (its about 3 times the diameter of the 190's)
you will simply need to do some slight modification to fit the larger hose to the air box (very easily done).

If you cant find the pieces, PM me i've got a spare 260 scoop and hoses.

Ivan K.

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,373 Posts
1,000th Post

Do nothing to butcher your Benz. Do not play engineer, chemist, physicist, or expert at fluid dynamics.

Great minds all got together to execute the design of your Mercedes. Rest assured your air intake was the industry standard the year your 190E was assembled and continues to wow the automotive public.

You have a purely mechanical fuel injection system. Your air intake works together with the injection system to atomize fuel at the intake port so that the combustion chamber gets the exact amount of air/fuel that is needed given engine speed and atmospheric conditions. Your fuel pump pressurizes the fuel for distribution by the fuel distributor in direct proportion to the passage of air into the intake.

Ramming air through ducts and fabricated piping will not alter the nature and amount of air/fuel at the intake port. It will only screw up the motor.

If I had an iron duke four, I am sure I would be drilling holes and fabricating piping into the intake because anything would be a help to that kind of motor.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6
369 Posts
Do nothing to butcher your Benz. Do not play engineer, chemist, physicist, or expert at fluid dynamics.

Great minds all got together to execute the design of your Mercedes. Rest assured your air intake was the industry standard the year your 190E was assembled and continues to wow the automotive public.

You have a purely mechanical fuel injection system. Your air intake works together with the injection system to atomize fuel at the intake port so that the combustion chamber gets the exact amount of air/fuel that is needed given engine speed and atmospheric conditions. Your fuel pump pressurizes the fuel for distribution by the fuel distributor in direct proportion to the passage of air into the intake.

Ramming air through ducts and fabricated piping will not alter the nature and amount of air/fuel at the intake port. It will only screw up the motor.

If I had an iron duke four, I am sure I would be drilling holes and fabricating piping into the intake because anything would be a help to that kind of motor.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
911 Posts
Whatever the issues you may have in regard of the required amount/pressure of air to you MB engine, you don't want to re-engineer the air path

You may want to keep an eye on the air filter and if it gets clogged by dust, debris and gunk (head cover breather). Hving said that I tried different filters (Stock, OEM, K&N which was the most expensive) and I didn't notice any significant change in the gas/milage or noise

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,373 Posts
I remember my days on active duty in Germany. Little old ladies and gentlemen blew the doors off of my Datsun when they sped past me in their Mercedes motor cars.

The recollection goes like this. I bought a 1982 280-ZX in Fort Benning, Georgia on the basis that it was "awesome" and that at Nissan, "we are driven".

The 280-ZX sucked. Its steering wheel shook at 60 and then at 80 mph. Its windshield wipers flapped at speeds above 80mph. The German highway system had unlimited speeds on most of its roads and the 280-ZX had enormous trouble taking advantage of that.

The exhaust manifold blew holes. The exhaust system fell out of the car. Rust formed on the shell high and low as well as the hood, doors and trunk. The ignition control system would periodically fail and the car would not run at all. The clutch would fail quickly. The rear output shafts would break.

I never owned another Japanese car again no matter how often they changed their names (Datsun to Nissan to Infiniti) and no matter the features they added to their cars. Period.

This brings me to the Mercedes. As these cars used to pass me on the autobahn, the wind coming from the car would strike my side like a baseball bat hitting a baseball. The Mercedes would appear from behind, slap me broadside with its wind and then disappear into the distance ahead of me. My speed was off the 80mph scale on the car, yet the Mercedes outmaneuvered me easily.

After the third or fourth W201 did that to me, I saved up my money to buy one. I returned to the U.S., saved up my nickles for years and in 1991 got one for $27,274.

I still believe the K-Jet system and its factory air plumbing is a gem as likely those do who giggled as they passed the meat heads in their Datsuns.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow somewhat of a heated discussion i guess

·
190E, SLK350
66,969 Posts
If I can get my 190E not to stall with a redneck scoop I would. Right now the car is collecting pollen and it's looking rather sad with bird droppings all over it.

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.3
101 Posts
anyone one of you guys get rid of your stock 190e air and mount a cold air intake or ram air intake??? pics if you have pleasei work as a sheet metal person but no matter what config i come up with besides a ram air which invloves a scoop can i configure a possible scenario to mount on the body where i can close the hood.
Take my word. I tried it, bought an intake, it made the car slower. And louder. My car probably dropped at least 10 horses when I put the "cold (?) air intake(?) in. It's sitting in my garage on a shelf, and I feel like I wasted 160 dollars for nothing.

Don't go for it, just because japanese and american car owners doing it, (for no reason), since even a real and effective air intake would require re-programming the CU and re-designing the entire fuel induction/delivery/air mixture parts. Just because you hear a loud honda civic, watch how fast they are going...mostly just making noise. and not going anywhere really.since most won't even think, that they aren't really getting more air without recalibration of the control unit and re adjustment- or better, replacing- of fuel delivery systems, ignition etc..

real working cold air intake:

NOT a cold air intake! it's a Hot air intake!

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
Simple, straightforward question . . .

Has anyone ever seen a bonafide "before & after" dyno test of these "cold air intakes" on a Mercedes Benz 190E?

Certainly those sellers would be quick to post and circulate objective evidence of their performance and superior engineering, no?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
to hell with that i have a 560 sel its a beast.. i have a 320e or es sport model i just honestly thnking this 84 i bought for 700 bucks still has a little more umpppff behind it.. personabally...specially a 190

1 - 20 of 26 Posts