Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes C180 W203, dumped on 20" rims, limo tint all round.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Well my car was sitting low and level until I just had a few hundred pounds of stereo installed in the boot and well now its ass is dragging lower then I like ...

So, these shims that go with the coil springs .... are you able to add one on top of one another? Id liek to lift the rear end up about 15mm if possible ....

If not, I might put the lowest shim in the front and the biggest shim available in the back ... ?

Anyone seen these in the flesh? Are they just a round rubber spacer like thing? Are they slotted to accept a non flat coil? Pics would be awesome if anyone has any ...

My rear springs hang loose when the car is jacked up, so I may just be able to pop one in the rear hopefully ....

·
Registered
2004 C240 Wagon
355 Posts
Hey Dumped, the spring pads are only used in the rear on the W203, and they sit on top of the spring. they are formed to sit flat over a half coil if i remember correctly. They come in 4 thicknesses. You need to see what ones you have and if it is not a 4, then you can jump up to a 4 and raise your ass end a bit. There is no set rule on which pad they used from the factory.. i think it depended on how your car was optioned. They will have a marking on the side that will indicate if it is a I a II, III or IIII.

PAD 1 = 5mm
PAD 2 = 9mm
PAD 3 = 13mm
PAD 4 = 17mm

Good luck, Greg

·
Registered
2004 C240 Wagon
355 Posts
pic for ya...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2004 c230 sport. It has the #2 spring pads. You can tell by looking at the top spring perch with the wheel off. The pad will have either 1, 2, 3, or 4 small nub like protrusions sticking donwn. They look like they could be injection points from the mold but they are not. I would post a pic but it would involve going and getting my wife's car, taking off the wheel, and learning how to post a pic. Let us know how it goes, I'm thinking about some # 4 pads for mine as well.

·
Registered
Mercedes C180 W203, dumped on 20" rims, limo tint all round.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WoW tonnes of helpful information thank you guys!

Thanx Greg for all the number and pad sizes in the list, that helps a bunch! Also good to know they only use them on the rear and not front!

Ok Rukowh so I can just jack the back up and pull the wheel off and see the number of the pad thats awesome! I might do that tommorow.

Are these pads able to be removed without removing the spring? Keep in mind my rear springs can be moved up and down an inch or too when there is no weight on the car. The rear springs are quite lowered ...

Thanx again for all ya help.

·
Registered
2004 C240 Wagon
355 Posts
Dumped, if your springs are short enough to move them then you should be able to pull the shim/pad off the top, as they are just sitting on the top of the spring. Godd Luck on it. Greg

WoW tonnes of helpful information thank you guys!

Thanx Greg for all the number and pad sizes in the list, that helps a bunch! Also good to know they only use them on the rear and not front!

Ok Rukowh so I can just jack the back up and pull the wheel off and see the number of the pad thats awesome! I might do that tommorow.

Are these pads able to be removed without removing the spring? Keep in mind my rear springs can be moved up and down an inch or too when there is no weight on the car. The rear springs are quite lowered ...

Thanx again for all ya help.

·
Registered
2004 C240 Wagon
355 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am having the same problem. I got H&R coilover and my truck is full of audio equipment, so my ass is lower then the front. Even with the rear coil adjusted to the highest setting my wheels are still tuck.
Dumped, did it work when you add the oem spring perch on your coilover? A shop that did the installation told me I can't use my oem spring perch with coilover, is that true?

·
Registered
2004 C240 Wagon
355 Posts
I am having the same problem. I got H&R coilover and my truck is full of audio equipment, so my ass is lower then the front. Even with the rear coil adjusted to the highest setting my wheels are still tuck.
Dumped, did it work when you add the oem spring perch on your coilover? A shop that did the installation told me I can't use my oem spring perch with coilover, is that true?
That is true...the pads are not used with a coilover set-up. If you are threaded all the way up on your rear coilover adjustment, there is not much you can do short of reducing ass-end weight or going back to a conventional spring/schock combo....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts