Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am refurbishing the front suspension in my 1990 420SEL, I thought I might as well replace the spring pads. I have seen these refered to as Coil Spring Shim.

Question is, what is the OEM thickness (8mm?, 13mm). I do not want to raise or lower the car. Just factory original.

How may are needed for each side ? Two? Top and Bottom?
What is the MB Part Number?
Where can I buy these? What brand is acceptable? Febi OK?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,143 Posts
The OEM thickness varies based on how the car was optioned and the springs used. See the manual, section 32-220, page 142 for the spring pad part numbers and thicknesses.

I recommend and use mboemparts.com and always get MB original for rubber parts.

There is one spring pad on the top of each spring. If you take a close look at them, you'll see little nubs around the perimeter. The number of nubs (1, 2, 3 or 4) indicate the thickness.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
246 Posts
Hugo, I just did this on my 500sel. I bought the MB spring pad for the top 4 nubs) and
Meyle 14mm shims for the bottom. If you want more details look at my recent post on "What did you do...."or PM me. Cheers.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,128 Posts
As far as I know the bottom of the springs sit in a perch and are not supposed to have a spring pad, only the top takes the pad/shim.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,761 Posts
Indeed, nothing on the bottom of the springs, they sit in the metal perch. Pads are at the top.

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 3 nubs. What would be the Part number and / or thickness?

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,143 Posts
1263210984, 18mm. FYI, spring pads are available in 5mm increments which translates to 9mm change of wheel height, in case you need to do any adjusting.

·
Registered
420SEL
1,224 Posts
When doing this.
Can you go with a thinnest pad and MB spring for a bit lower look.
I’m terrified of changing springs and having a 4x4 look.

Will there be a penalty when going with a thinnest spring?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,761 Posts
Are you changing springs too?

If so there is essential reading for you in the archives. Another member made a voyage of discovery that would help you.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
246 Posts
good suggestion to read up, but sometimes it doesn't answer specific question. I just changed front springs, upper control arms and ball joints. Control pad is 2 nub (did not know what a nub was until Lucky Mike's post 7 above), bottom shims are 14mm and shocks are Bilstein B4. For the moment the car's front is a bit higher than the back. I am told (hope) it will settle down. Back coil springs are a bit lower than they should be (old age is not for sissies goes for cars and people).

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,143 Posts
When doing this.
Can you go with a thinnest pad and MB spring for a bit lower look.
I’m terrified of changing springs and having a 4x4 look.

Will there be a penalty when going with a thinnest spring?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbilisi79, if you just want to lower your car a little, you can install thinner spring pads, assuming your car doesn't already have the thinnest.

For instance, if you have three nub-]pads now and install two-nub pads, the new pad will be 5mm thinner and the car will drop 9mm. If you have three-nub pads and install one-nub pads, the car will drop 18mm.

If you add new springs into the mix, from my reading all bets are off and you'll likely be starting from scratch and may have a bunch of fiddling ahead of you to get the car where you want.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,143 Posts
good suggestion to read up, but sometimes it doesn't answer specific question. I just changed front springs, upper control arms and ball joints. Control pad is 2 nub (did not know what a nub was until Lucky Mike's post 7 above), bottom shims are 14mm and shocks are Bilstein B4. For the moment the car's front is a bit higher than the back. I am told (hope) it will settle down. Back coil springs are a bit lower than they should be (old age is not for sissies goes for cars and people).
Stewpot, loved your observation about old age in cars and people!

You mentioned bottom shims and I just want to clarify that the shims/spring pads go on top of the springs, front and rear. The bottom of the spring mounts directly onto the spring cup on the control arm. I suspect you meant to write "top shims" but if not, I would definitely look into that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts