Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi everyone,
My 2009 e350 just threw codes and sounds like its going to die. It also has a strong gas smell coming into the car when started. I check the oil dipstick and the oil smells like it has gas in it. I am also getting these other codes as well. Does anyone know what is causing this? I thought it would be the purge valve or 02 sensors but the gas smell is in the oil makes me think its something else. Thank you.

(pending fault) P0300 powertrain random/multiple cylinder misfire,
p0632 Powertrain,
p0746 Powertrain, pressure control solenoid 'A' Performance or stuck off,
p0750 - powertrain shift solenoid 'A',
p02092, powertrain a camshaft position actuator control circuit low bank2 b,
p02096 powertrain post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank1.
p0632 does not exist . p0746 and 750 are transmission codes .

·
Registered
937 Posts
p0632 does not exist . p0746 and 750 are transmission codes .
if car is not driven enough , or not long enough , a slight gas smell with a normal oil level is probably normal .most cars when you do a oil change have oil with slight gas smell . that is where a obd2 tester in live data could give you the answer .you could read engine temp , air mass sensor air flow value , and injectors mill second time opening .when you want to fix your own car , you have to educate yourself .you are lucky today it is all in google / you tube .you just need to have that passion for it .

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
if car is not driven enough , or not long enough , a slight gas smell with a normal oil level is probably normal .most cars when you do a oil change have oil with slight gas smell . that is where a obd2 tester in live data could give you the answer .you could read engine temp , air mass sensor air flow value , and injectors mill second time opening .when you want to fix your own car , you have to educate yourself .you are lucky today it is all in google / you tube .you just need to have that passion for it .
I drive the car every day except now that we just had snow storm. Just waiting for the snow to melt off my hood. The gas smell was pretty strong to me but could be considered normal to others. I'm not used to smelling gas in my car.

Thank you for all your feedback. I really do appreciate and look forward to it. I'm not a professional mechanic but have been fixing my car. This forum and the people on it, is an exceptional resource.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
1,135 Posts
How many miles on the car? Are you sure it's not the gas tank leak that's covered by a 15 year unlimited miles warranty? You get that smell in the cabin if you have a full tank. Gas pools on top of the fuel pump which is located under the rear seats. You should also take the advice mentioned earlier and get a scanner that can read MB specific codes, the regular OBDII scanner you have only reads engine and emissions codes. The ones that can do MB specific codes can give you codes that haven't yet triggered a CEL. As for O2 sensors, they also wear out, only the upstream sensors. Misfires aren't good though, easy to cook your cats if you don't take care of those. Many possible causes, spark plugs, vacuum leak, fuel injectors, fuel pressure etc. Codes could also be old, I'd start by clearing them and see if they come back. You can get weird temporary codes when it's cold and the battery is weak.

·
Registered
937 Posts
How many miles on the car? Are you sure it's not the gas tank leak that's covered by a 15 year unlimited miles warranty? You get that smell in the cabin if you have a full tank. Gas pools on top of the fuel pump which is located under the rear seats. You should also take the advice mentioned earlier and get a scanner that can read MB specific codes, the regular OBDII scanner you have only reads engine and emissions codes. The ones that can do MB specific codes can give you codes that haven't yet triggered a CEL. As for O2 sensors, they also wear out, only the upstream sensors. Misfires aren't good though, easy to cook your cats if you don't take care of those. Many possible causes, spark plugs, vacuum leak, fuel injectors, fuel pressure etc. Codes could also be old, I'd start by clearing them and see if they come back. You can get weird temporary codes when it's cold and the battery is weak.
funny you mention gas tank , had a customer one time that had that car at 90.000 the dealer had already replaced 3 gas tank under warranty , now tank number 4 also needed , dealer this time refused to warranty it , $ 4000 .the solution was to dump the lemon and buy a HONDA .problem solved .it s hard to believe the stuff MB was making .the cars from the 60 , 70 , 80 and early 90 s where descent , the rest not so .after that if you wanted luxury without the problems/ poor quality , Lexus was it .the LS 400 was it .

·
Registered
937 Posts
funny you mention gas tank , had a customer one time that had that car at 90.000 the dealer had already replaced 3 gas tank under warranty , now tank number 4 also needed , dealer this time refused to warranty it , $ 4000 .the solution was to dump the lemon and buy a HONDA .problem solved .it s hard to believe the stuff MB was making .the cars from the 60 , 70 , 80 and early 90 s where descent , the rest not so .after that if you wanted luxury without the problems/ poor quality , Lexus was it .the LS 400 was it .
Hi everyone,
My 2009 e350 just threw codes P0172 & P0175 and sounds like it's going to die. It also has a strong gas smell coming into the car when started. I check the oil dipstick and the oil smells like it has gas in it. I am also getting these other codes as well. Does anyone know what is causing this? I thought it would be the purge valve or 02 sensors but the gas smell is in the oil makes me think its something else. Thank you.

p0632 Powertrain,
time to invest in a scanner that can read MB S.it look like for about $ 160 , the I carsoft MB2 would do it .the only thing , buy it only from the I carsoft store on line .apparently if you buy it anywhere else like amazon , and you have difficulty , you wont have any support .that is what i read from the feedbacks that people write ????? . so make sure you are dealing with the real Icarsoft store . this will give you live data plus on all modules of the car .

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The car has 110,000 miles. I replaced the purge valve and MAF sensor and the car would not turn over. Spark plus are fairly new. Replaced about 6 months ago. I did notice that when trying to start the car, pressing on the gas didn't do anything. It wasn't accelerating at all. Now that I cleared the codes. The car isn't throwing any new codes but the old codes were the ones I kept getting before replacing the parts. I just ordered the new scanner so I am waiting on that.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The car has 110,000 miles. I replaced the purge valve and MAF sensor and the car would not turn over. Spark plus are fairly new. Replaced about 6 months ago. I did notice that when trying to start the car, pressing on the gas didn't do anything. It wasn't accelerating at all. Now that I cleared the codes. The car isn't throwing any new codes but the old codes were the ones I kept getting before replacing the parts. I just ordered the new scanner so I am waiting on that.
you need to be more accurate on describing the problem .when you say car would not turn over , to me that mean car would not crank over , if engine was cranking over but not starting , i would say not starting .then when you say pressing on the gas it was not accelerating , so , was engine idling but not accelerating ?? . also what kind of MAF sensor did you buy , brand ??? .reading those 2 codes , unplug the MAF electrical wire , the car will run without it .OBD2 tester does ok , if you know how to use it , in life data , you will read some useful infos .now if you have one that only read and erase codes , that is not enough .$ 60 will get you there with autel .

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
you need to be more accurate on describing the problem .when you say car would not turn over , to me that mean car would not crank over , if engine was cranking over but not starting , i would say not starting .then when you say pressing on the gas it was not accelerating , so , was engine idling but not accelerating ?? . also what kind of MAF sensor did you buy , brand ??? .reading those 2 codes , unplug the MAF electrical wire , the car will run without it .OBD2 tester does ok , if you know how to use it , in life data , you will read some useful infos .now if you have one that only read and erase codes , that is not enough .$ 60 will get you there with autel .
Sorry about that. My car was cranking but not starting. As I was cranking it, I put my foot on the gas to so see if it would accelerate but it did nothing. The engine never started. I bought the Bosch MAF recommended for my year and make. I buy all my parts from FCPEuro and mostly buy the genuine parts. The codes I had prior to clearing them are the following;

P0172 & P0175

p0632 Powertrain,

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sorry about that. My car was cranking but not starting. As I was cranking it, I put my foot on the gas to so see if it would accelerate but it did nothing. The engine never started. I bought the Bosch MAF recommended for my year and make. I buy all my parts from FCPEuro and mostly buy the genuine parts. The codes I had prior to clearing them are the following;

P0172 & P0175

p0632 Powertrain,
i used to use the part number on the old part .Bosch is fine .the older car with the 112 engine was a lot easier to deal with .never cared for that one , just too complex .maybe a basic fuel pressure test .also how did this come about .was car running fine before ?? .

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
2,837 Posts
Injector or injectors are getting voltage to operate, even after engine switched of ..

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i used to use the part number on the old part .Bosch is fine .the older car with the 112 engine was a lot easier to deal with .never cared for that one , just too complex .maybe a basic fuel pressure test .also how did this come about .was car running fine before ?? .
The car was running fine but then one day it had a rough idle and the check engine light came on shortly. I was close to home so I drove home fine. The next day, the car started with a really rough idle so I turned it off. The day after, the car would not start anymore. It still cranks over but never starts. It is still the case after replacing the purge valve and MAF sensor.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The car was running fine but then one day it had a rough idle and the check engine light came on shortly. I was close to home so I drove home fine. The next day, the car started with a really rough idle so I turned it off. The day after, the car would not start anymore. It still cranks over but never starts. It is still the case after replacing the purge valve and MAF sensor.
That did not happen after putting gas in it ???.you could disconnect the purge valve and cap the line for test , as for the MAF , one of the test is to unplug the wires to it and run engine that way , if problem goes away , then the MAF was bad .doing those 2 things would keep you from gambling .

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just wanted to say thank you to all of you. You're advice was very helpful. It ended up being the MAF Sensor. When I replaced it, the car still wasn't running good and their were no error codes. Had someone with a good diagnostic tool to show me the values on the MAF Sensor were not good even though it was brand new and OEM. Had the vendor send me a another new replacement and that fixed the problem. Who would have thought I would received a defective part.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts