Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
My 2009 e350 just threw codes P0172 & P0175 and sounds like it's going to die. It also has a strong gas smell coming into the car when started. I check the oil dipstick and the oil smells like it has gas in it. I am also getting these other codes as well. Does anyone know what is causing this? I thought it would be the purge valve or 02 sensors but the gas smell is in the oil makes me think its something else. Thank you.

P0172 - Powertrain System too Rich (Bank 1)
P0175 - Powertrain System too Rich (Bank 2)
(pending fault) P0300 powertrain random/multiple cylinder misfire,
p0632 Powertrain,
p0746 Powertrain, pressure control solenoid 'A' Performance or stuck off,
p0750 - powertrain shift solenoid 'A',
p02092, powertrain a camshaft position actuator control circuit low bank2 b,
p02096 powertrain post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank1.

·
Registered
2005 E320 wagon
1,839 Posts
If the engine’s running rich, it might be what’s causing fuel to wash into the crankcase where you smell it in the oil. If you can, clear the codes and see which come back. Some might be old codes. If you have a device with live data, check MAF sensor, oxygen sensors, etc.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 199K miles (for sale)
00 E320 wagon 158K miles
05 E320 wagon 171K miles

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the engine’s running rich, it might be what’s causing fuel to wash into the crankcase where you smell it in the oil. If you can, clear the codes and see which come back. Some might be old codes. If you have a device with live data, check MAF sensor, oxygen sensors, etc.

Sixto
00 E320 wagon 158K miles
05 E320 wagon 171K miles
Thank you for your response. I already cleared the codes and got them all back right away. Also, this time the car almost didn't start and the smell of gas scared me so I turned it off quickly.

·
Registered
2005 E320 wagon
1,839 Posts
Do you have a way to check fuel rail pressure?

There aren’t injector codes so it probably isn’t injectors stuck open.

Sixto
00 E320 wagon 158K miles
05 E320 wagon 171K miles

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi everyone,
My 2009 e350 just threw codes and sounds like its going to die. It also has a strong gas smell coming into the car when started. I check the oil dipstick and the oil smells like it has gas in it. I am also getting these other codes as well. Does anyone know what is causing this? I thought it would be the purge valve or 02 sensors but the gas smell is in the oil makes me think its something else. Thank you.

p0632 Powertrain,
a OBD2 tester could be big help here in live data mode [ under $ 100 ] great tool to have , work on any brand of cars from 94 / 96 and up .i have a AUTEL brand .

·
Registered
2005 E320 wagon
1,839 Posts
Live data is the feature you want regardless of what the device is called. You can get a dedicated device or an ELM Bluetooth OBD dongle ($10-15) and software for your phone to connect to it. I use a free app simply called Car Scanner. Not the most intuitive to use but good enough to point me to a tired fuel pump. With lots of forum help, of course. But it only works with the engine running.

Sixto
00 E320 wagon 158K miles
05 E320 wagon 171K miles

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Autel is selling $49 dongles with license for specific car mode.
I had a misfortune of needing it on my Sprinter and was nicely surprised how cheap scanner gave me full troubleshooting page.
2009 model should have rail pressure sensor, what will show on the scanner.
Older models need a gauge attached to rail valve.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,442 Posts
I used the OBD2 reader. Is the tester better?
Here is one that beats generic OBDII hands down.

And sorta duplicate post.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Live data is the feature you want regardless of what the device is called. You can get a dedicated device or an ELM Bluetooth OBD dongle ($10-15) and software for your phone to connect to it. I use a free app simply called Car Scanner. Not the most intuitive to use but good enough to point me to a tired fuel pump. With lots of forum help, of course. But it only works with the engine running.

Sixto
00 E320 wagon 158K miles
05 E320 wagon 171K miles
Thank you. My Torque app gives me real time data but what data should I be looking for? Want to make sure my app displays the data you think I need to validate. I'm also afraid to start my car again when I smell fuel in the oil. Could I cause any damage if I try to start the car with gas in the oil?

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is one that beats generic OBDII hands down.

And sorta duplicate post.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,442 Posts
Thank you. My Torque app gives me real time data but what data should I be looking for? Want to make sure my app displays the data you think I need to validate. I'm also afraid to start my car again when I smell fuel in the oil. Could I cause any damage if I try to start the car with gas in the oil?
Is oil level higher then normal? Remove air cleaner and do visual for any fuel leaks. Examine crankcase ventilation hoses for cracks or disconnection. Mainly hose going to breather cover back of right head. Plastic end plugs on rear of both heads.
Any work on engine prior to this event?

In Torque select values for fuel trims. STFT B1 and B2, LTFT B1 and 2.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is oil level higher then normal? Remove air cleaner and do visual for any fuel leaks. Examine crankcase ventilation hoses for cracks or disconnection. Mainly hose going to breather cover back of right head. Plastic end plugs on rear of both heads.
Any work on engine prior to this event?

In Torque select values for fuel trims. STFT B1 and B2, LTFT B1 and 2.
Thank you for your reply. The Heater Control Valve was replaced a few months ago but nothing since. I'll go check all the things you suggested. Will it be bad if I tried to start the car again? I don't know what kind of damage could be done if there is too much fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi everyone,
My 2009 e350 just threw codes and sounds like its going to die. It also has a strong gas smell coming into the car when started. I check the oil dipstick and the oil smells like it has gas in it. I am also getting these other codes as well. Does anyone know what is causing this? I thought it would be the purge valve or 02 sensors but the gas smell is in the oil makes me think its something else. Thank you.

p0632 Powertrain,
you could disconnect the purge valve and cap the line that goes to engine and see .the purge system could dump a lot of gas in the intake .

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,442 Posts
Thank you for your reply. The Heater Control Valve was replaced a few months ago but nothing since. I'll go check all the things you suggested. Will it be bad if I tried to start the car again? I don't know what kind of damage could be done if there is too much fuel in the oil.
You have not answered question about oil level. 😕

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,442 Posts
sorry about that. the oil level is not higher than normal.
So, what makes you think there is gasoline in oil? Smell?
Most people have no clue about stink vehicles emanate. Oil burning on exhaust smells like rubber to them. :)

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have a way to check fuel rail pressure?

There aren’t injector codes so it probably isn’t injectors stuck open.

Sixto
00 E320 wagon 158K miles
05 E320 wagon 171K miles
Thank you . That's good to know its not the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, what makes you think there is gasoline in oil? Smell?
Most people have no clue about stink vehicles emanate. Oil burning on exhaust smells like rubber to them. :)
Because I checked the dip stick and rubbed it on a paper towel. Definitely smells like gas in it. Also, their was a strong gas smell coming into my car when I started the engine and the car started to run really rough so I turned it off. I'm confident I know what gas smells like. :)

·
Registered
2009 E350 4matic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because I checked the dip stick and rubbed it on a paper towel. Definitely smells like gas in it. Also, their was a strong gas smell coming into my car when I started the engine and the car started to run really rough so I turned it off. I'm confident I know what gas smells like. :)
Also, I haven't been able to check the items you mentioned because there is a pile of snow on my car. Should be melted off by tomorrow. The O2 sensors will be the last on my list since I need to lift the car. However, is it normal for both sensors to go bad? I have errors for both banks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts