Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E350 Wagon
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my Audi cars I bought a special cable with an ODBII connector and software (VAG-COM) that I installed on my laptop to read CEL codes, clear same, and also to make changes to some of the options (such as reprogramming the transmission so it would stay longer in 1st gear, etc...).
Is there such an animal for Mercedes in the $300-400 range?
I am not interested in much more than that but I want more than just an ODBII product.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Take a look at Bazzle's thread in the 170 forum about Carsoft 7.4 (it's a sticky). You can buy a multiplexer and the software for around $150 on ebay and that will access most of the systems. It's not as comprehensive as the commercial variants (Snap On, SDS, etc.) but excellent for the dedicated DIYer.

FWIW, I don't think you need it to train your transmission. There is a procedure, outlined in this thread, that tells you how. I have not heard that MB locked this out on subsequent years, so it should work on yours. That thread also suggests that you may not be able to manipulate shift points through Carsoft, too. (I've never tried.)

You may not know that you can simply reset the adaptive transmission, too. If you do lots of freeway driving your shift points get pretty "grandpa" like, and resetting the adaptations let's it re-learn. In my car it made a dramatic difference, so instead of locking them in (as above) I just reset the shift adaptations periodically.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2006 E350 Wagon
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg, doing my mandatory reading now...! :p

·
Registered
2006 E350 Wagon
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too lazy to open another thread for my next question:
What do folks on this forum recommend as a shop manual?
I have searched and found tons of them... but I want to buy a quality printed edition (having bad luck with the electronic version of the Bentley manual for Audi).
I saw some STAR CD/DVD and others on fleabay but I would prefer to get some advice first from real life users.;)

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,802 Posts
The second link that Konigstiger posted is the place I got mine from they have great
customer service. Also very good pricing compared to MB and other sources.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts