Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHICH IS THE MOST RECOMMENDED READER, AND ARE THE MANUALS ON MERCEDESMANUAL.COM ANY GOOD

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
The 96- would be OBDII and Carsoft. The 95 is OBDI - just build the flash code reader. Carsoft may claim it will work but there's lots of reports that it doesn't. By the way Carsoft isn't really the recommended solution, just the only solution, at a DIY price point. It seems to be quite dreadful company. OBDII leaders are Actron and Equus.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 96- would be OBDII and Carsoft. The 95 is OBDI - just build the flash code reader. Carsoft may claim it will work but there's lots of reports that it doesn't. By the way Carsoft isn't really the recommended solution, just the only solution, at a DIY price point. It seems to be quite dreadful company. OBDII leaders are Actron and Equus.
Wil the Actro CP-9190, support the 96 & 98 ?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Yes Luis, the '96 and '98 but the Actron will not be compatible with the MB 38 pin plug in your '95.

But why are you wanting to go from no scanner to a $275 handheld ?

Yes, it also reads pending codes, and read MIL - but you have to ask, what does that mean to you, really ?

Do not misunderstand - the $275 handheld will NOT be able to erase MB "hard codes".

You are getting live data feed on the $275 handheld, and more features like MIL - but starting from where you are now, why do you think you might ever even need those added features in your real life ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, which one should I choose for the 96 & 96, (I noticed that the 320, has a round plug, on the driver's side of the engine compartment, is this the same pin plug, as the 95?)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My main concern, is with the 320, I bought it on an auction, (ON LINE) it looks good, body, is great, no dents, seems like original paint, interiors, well , some wear, but not much, but when you start !!!, and then all the switches on the console don't work, so I guess, that I need something to tell me what it is, or next step, send it to a shop, and hope for the best

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I too would start with a low end OBDII reader, $100 or less. The 38 pin connector is the same, but it's a different system. The home build flash code reader that will work on the 95 will not work on 1996 and after. By hard codes I think he meant manufacturer proprietary codes as opposed to government mandated OBDII/emission codes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts