Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
ML320, 2001
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I really need help, my ML320 2001 is giving me problem. The BAS/ETS,ABS,ENGINE, PARKING BRAKE and BRAKE lights keep coming on, and if they do,the tranny sometimes would'nt changed from 1st. If I shut the engine and restart it, everything works fine but not for long then the lights come on again. I had searched this forum and gone with some advise by changing the brake switch, the lateral acceleration sensor even changed the brake pads and cleaned the abs and all that, but my problem still remains. When I had it scanned it read PO720 (output speed sensor).
Can some one please help me....thanks

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
How old is the battery? When the battery voltage is 'marginal', that can set off bunch of the dash board lights. I can't think of one sensor/problem that can set of all those lights you mentioned at the same time. All those things have one common thing, all those sensors and ECU need correct voltage. Have an auto parts store check the battery and the alternator. Also, check the ground connections. There are several ground connections on ML.

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
761 Posts
Sounds like you need a new Battery to me. I bought a Bosh Batt for about $50-$70 at Pep Boys with a 7 year warranty

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,873 Posts
It appears you have a problem with the right rear wheel speed sensor. The signal from the sensor to the ETC control module is implausible. Check the magnetic tip for metal shavings attached to it. If so blow off with compressed air. Also, detach the connector and then inspect both male and female plugs for corrosion.

·
Registered
ML320, 2001
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the help...'am going to test the battery and the alternator, and also the rear right wheel as 43sqd advised. I appreciate you all for the help.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
43sqd, I am trying to understand your diagnosis (not questioning :)
I can understand that a faulty wheel speed sensor can set off ABS, ETS, BAS lights. How about Brake Pads and parking brake lights? And then add "Check Engine" light triggered by a wheel speed sensor?
I am just trying to understand, so that I don't misguide other members in the future.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,873 Posts
43sqd, I am trying to understand your diagnosis (not questioning :)
I can understand that a faulty wheel speed sensor can set off ABS, ETS, BAS lights. How about Brake Pads and parking brake lights? And then add "Check Engine" light triggered by a wheel speed sensor?
I am just trying to understand, so that I don't misguide other members in the future.
pcy, I can't print and scan everything and put it into pdf format, it's a cost/time effective thing. With any problem you have address the code first and then work from there. This is a complicated system and has too many things rolled up in it and when one problem surfaces it triggers everything. All four speed sensors inform the computer/module of their individual rotational speed. If something is wrong with any one of them, the entire system is shut down, hence the CEL. I wasn't saying your diagnosis was wrong, I was just giving my opinion on the topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
right rear wheel sensor? Interesting. aprox 1000 km ago I got CEL and read codes 0700 & 0720. Forum searching suggested might be contamination (water or fluid) in the transmission connector. I was unable to remove the screw holding the connector so cant say. Anyway i cleared the codes and they have not returned (yet). my ML320 has been a bit flaky in this regard with dash warning lites coming on and then going away - examples CEL, Coolant, High beam indicator. happened at least 4 - 6 times over the last 18 months with no pattern. Seems best to not get overly exited about an intermittent or none returning warning light on a 9 year old vehicule. Oh I recently finally got around to checking the battery... it took almost 2 liters of distilled water ( oh-oh!). Jalon please post your findings. cheers.

·
Registered
1998 ML-320
6 Posts
I know I'm new here, but I'm an experienced forum user and I ALWAYS search the posts and read them before asking questions that may have already been answered. As Unhofliche_Gesundheit noted, in another post it was recommended (by 43sqd) to check the 13-pin connector for contamination when you get 0700 and 0720 codes at the same time.

This issue is of particular interest to me, because I just scanned my '98 ML320 due to a CEL (which turned out to be the MAF sensor) and I see "pending" 0700 and 0720 codes. Those codes are not causing a CEL and my trans seems to be shifting normally. I cannot clear those codes, but they are not causing a CEL or any other warning lights.

I haven't checked the 13-pin connector on my trans (I'll do that this weekend). Should I be checking the right wheel speed sensor this weekend?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
kmac727, I had that exact same problem (700 and 720 codes) after washing the engine bay. 43sqd's diagnosis was that the 13 pin connector may have gotten wet and causing thost codes. Per his suggestion, I removed the battery cable and connected the positive cable to the negative cable (NOT on the battery). That seems to have cleared the problem. I haven't seen 700 and 720 codes after that. Search previous posts with P0700 and P0720, you should be able to pull up my thread.

·
Registered
1998 ML-320
6 Posts
pcy,

Yes, thanks. I found that thread. I'll try that tomorrow to see if it clears the pending codes and then see if they come back. My CEL is not lit.

·
Registered
02 C32, 08 C350, 00 CLK320 (sis'), 01 ML430 (gone)
1,698 Posts
It appears you have a problem with the right rear wheel speed sensor. The signal from the sensor to the ETC control module is implausible. Check the magnetic tip for metal shavings attached to it. If so blow off with compressed air. Also, detach the connector and then inspect both male and female plugs for corrosion.
would this hold true for the W203 as well if you can help. I'm having the same p0720 code problem on the W203, but the dealer determined that it is the control/sensor unit located on the transmission. After some search some other 203 that has the same issue said the same thing, but after the module was replaced with a new one the same code occured just 4 days after I got the car back. Now they have been testing both new and old version of the module (all new parts) saying the only one that doesn't trigger the code is the old version. They're keeping the car for extended period just to be safe.

my question is that do W203 also has output speed sensors on the wheel? I had also asked them to check the o-ring seal around the sensor if that may also be the cause.

thanks

p.s. the first trip to the dealer they cleaned the esp module connector as well.

·
Registered
ML320, 2001
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, I am back to report to you about my ets,abs/bas,parking brake,brake light and then engine lights....I had the alternater checked which was working fine, changed the battery ($260.) worth be'cos I still had the original bettery from (2001) and after all that the problem did not go away. Now it comes on either driving or sitting idle. My next move is to go with 43sqd's advise and I will report back.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,873 Posts
would this hold true for the W203 as well if you can help. I'm having the same p0720 code problem on the W203, but the dealer determined that it is the control/sensor unit located on the transmission. After some search some other 203 that has the same issue said the same thing, but after the module was replaced with a new one the same code occured just 4 days after I got the car back. Now they have been testing both new and old version of the module (all new parts) saying the only one that doesn't trigger the code is the old version. They're keeping the car for extended period just to be safe.

my question is that do W203 also has output speed sensors on the wheel? I had also asked them to check the o-ring seal around the sensor if that may also be the cause.

thanks

p.s. the first trip to the dealer they cleaned the esp module connector as well.
The answer to your question is yes. Code P0720 (R/R wheel speed sensor) applies to the C32 as well.

A quick check of both rear wheel speed sensors can be accomplished by the following method:

Remove both rear wheels.
Back the pads off a bit so they do not make contact with the rotor.
Disconnect the connector to the R/R speed sensor.
Attach both wires of an ohm meter to the two wires of the sensor.
Take an ohm reading and mark it down.
Spin the hub as fast as you can by hand and take another ohm reading.
Do the same for the L/R sensor and compare readings.

I will PM you later this evening.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Some nerve you've got there...

thanks

Well, well, well - Wonders will never cease!:rolleyes:

Aren't you the same FrankW who made these crude and rude comments about 43sqd in another earlier post?:

I've just read the entire thread instead of the last few posts by you. you were the aggressor from the first post randomly implying debading the car has something to do with showing off to people that don't know shit like you are.

MJ wasn't flaunting anything. he was simply sharing what new stuff he has done for HIS car for those are are interested. Obviously you weren't, so why start running your mouth like you did? words of wisdom? I think it sounded more like words of someone who forgot to take their xanax. If you don't like someone doing something to THEIR cars then don't post. Apparently you haven't even stepped onto the ladder yet.

I'll take it you are not the type that would own any classic muscle cars because majority of the owner all customize their cars one way or another.
According to you (above) 43sqd doesn't know sh*t but now you are asking him for help/advise?:eek:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1372550-brabus-flat-hood-badge-installed-8.html

I think it's a measure of the man that he would unreservedly offer you help like he did above and even offer to PM you more help after your less than gentlemanly comments about him.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
Hi Jalon. on my other car (2002 Saab 9-3) the method to check the wheel speed sensors was to spin wheels and see if small **AC current** was produced (i.e not ohms... but 'milli-amps AC range' on the Volt-Ohm-meter). Something to try if you find you cant get an ohm reading on either wheel. cheers.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well, well, well - Wonders will never cease!:rolleyes:

Aren't you the same FrankW who made these crude and rude comments about 43sqd in another earlier post?:

According to you (above) 43sqd doesn't know sh*t but now you are asking him for help/advise?:eek:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1372550-brabus-flat-hood-badge-installed-8.html

I think it's a measure of the man that he would unreservedly offer you help like he did above and even offer to PM you more help after your less than gentlemanly comments about him.
are you thick or what? :rofl:

that was regarding a whole other topic. i.e. implying someone showing off because himself isn't into modding. the
you were the aggressor from the first post randomly implying debading the car has something to do with showing off to people that don't know shit like you are.
was directed to him not knowing what is Brabus and the meaning of Brabus.

the
Obviously you weren't, so why start running your mouth like you did? words of wisdom? I think it sounded more like words of someone who forgot to take their xanax. If you don't like someone doing something to THEIR cars then don't post. Apparently you haven't even stepped onto the ladder yet.
was directed to his interest in the MOD that MJ50 was posting for those interested if you haven't read the whole post. I never once implied that he doesn't know about the W163 mechanically just his antics towards people who modifiy their cars.

ask Buellwinkle yourself...we constantly argue on aftermarket supports, but still help each other out with majority of technical informations.

you are correct about the measure of the men, but it also shows the measure of the men when someone like you makes non-factual based comments simply because I probably "pissed" you off when I responded to your random comments about me here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/3013062-post92.html and left you nothing to say. Now you have to change the topic of this thread and attack me personally? LMAO

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I'm not going to dignify you by getting into some sort of spat with you - That is beneath me.

Most members understand what a person means when they say (to quote you):

...to people that don't know shit like you are.
I'm not the one who ended up asking a person they said didn't 'know sh*t' for help.:rolleyes:

Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who asks the fool for help?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'm not going to dignify you by getting into some sort of spat with you - That is beneath me.

Most members understand what a person means when they say (to quote you):

I'm not the one who ended up asking a person they said didn't 'know sh*t' for help.:rolleyes:

Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who asks the fool for help?
LOL...why are you editing every post you make?

like I have already told Jim as he had PMed me still on the Brabus emblem subject. that comment was directed towards his action that day nothing further. It'll only make you look foolish when you kept pumping the already empty well.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
LOL...why are you editing every post you make?

like I have already told Jim as he had PMed me still on the Brabus emblem subject. that comment was directed towards his action that day nothing further. It'll only make you look foolish when you kept pumping the already empty well.
You two need to take this "discussion" back to where it came from (link below) and stop polluting here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts