Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 420SEL and need help with the codes on the placard under the hood; could someone tell me what all these codes represent?

Under Hood Code Placard

Thank you,

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you trying to find out?
Just curious what all the codes mean: I'm thinking that maybe the exterior and interior colors are listed, options, etc. and would like to have a breakdown or a website that could help determine their meaning...

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
My mechanic has worked on my car many times in almost 4 years and has never ever referred to the placard. Try calling one of the Mercedes parts at a dealership near you. Maybe they can provide a quick explanation of what the numbers are used for.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Richard--

The placard is the "build list" for when the car was moving through assembly. It's got the engine #, tranny #, paint code, interior code, etc. The easiest way to find out about the codes (most of which are on that placard) is to use the Russian MB VIN site. Simply fill in your VIN, and most of the info will be shown.

Mercedes-Benz Club Russia | Mercedes-Benz / VIN

Have fun with your new car-- and yes, do get it checked over by a good indy mechanic. Might as well change all the fluids (PS, trans, diff, coolant, brakes) now, too, just so you have a good baseline to start from.

Dave

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Thanks Elrojo. You learn something new everyday. I popped my vin # in and found out what my actual car color is. Pine Green (night green) metallic.

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Richard--

The placard is the "build list" for when the car was moving through assembly. It's got the engine #, tranny #, paint code, interior code, etc. The easiest way to find out about the codes (most of which are on that placard) is to use the Russian MB VIN site. Simply fill in your VIN, and most of the info will be shown.

Mercedes-Benz Club Russia | Mercedes-Benz / VIN
Very cool; one item of interest is the interior and exterior color 'names'. I thought in the USA I had Desert Sand Metallic with Palomino interior. The website shows it as impala metallic (с 01.01.1986 по 31.12.1992, с 1994) exterior with an interior of leather light brown / java (274).

Were the names actually listed as something different in other parts of the world?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
NP, Pro--

Pine green-- oooh, that sounds nice-- any pics? (but don't change the avatar-- I always like the distraction)!:D

D

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
NP, Pro--

Pine green-- oooh, that sounds nice-- any pics? (but don't change the avatar-- I always like the distraction)!:D

D
Definitely not changing the avatar. It even distracts me when i'm posting.

I need to borrow my wife's new digital camera and finally take some shots of my car. I've had it now almost 4 years and not one picture. Considering all the work i've done to her that would be nice!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Richard-

Check out this new link I just came across--

MB Codes

I recall seeing somewhere that there was minor change in colors/names when the 2nd gen. cars came out in 1986, and this might be why there's a difference in what you've heard. I also think the names of the colors have become mixed up a bit over time because people have simply called the colors what they have heard before. I though I had a "parchment" interior (it looks like parchment paper at least), but it's actually "mushroom." Now, I don't know about you, but I think it might be easier to sell a car with a "perfect parchment leather interior" than a "perfect mushroom leather" one-- it just sounds a bit nicer. The "palomino" color has been a common Mercedes interior color over time (and it does sound nice and exotic, in that "upper-crust, polo-playing, glass-of-chardonnay-while-the-help-serves-the-salmon" sort of way) that I think most people look at a light brown interior in a Benz and call it "palomino."

On the other hand-- look at these samples from World Upholstery--

Mercedes Leather 80-94

and my color has two names-- "Champignon" (mushroom), and Parchment. Hmmm... I think I'm calling my interior "Champignon" from now on... Glass of chardonnay, anyone? :rolleyes:

D

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Your "Champignon" (mushroom), is different color than my #265 Mushroom. for 1989. Mine is more like the World's Cream Beige. So no I have to sort between Mushrooms to find the interior bits I need for my 560 SEC. UH...UH.. thanks a lot! LOL!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Chadahar-

My color is kinda like the cream beige too-- I notice that neither of these in WU's site have the same number (265) attached, as both our colors are termed in the MB codes. So I'm sympathetic to your plight. When the time comes to fix some of my leather, I'm gonna have to get whatever is closest and redye the rest to match.... I would love to have the java color, but then again all the other trim pieces wouldn't match.

D

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,109 Posts
interesting, when i bought my car i was told it was desert toup, then champegne, now i find out its impala metal flake, 441, going to get paint mixed then we will see. the interior now i find out might be java. well time to change my avitar again.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E320
266 Posts
Omg the website is god, thanks so much. I've been trying to open up the engine compartment to find out about my interior/exterior color, but couldn't. Thanks so much, I love you ElRojo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts