Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 ml350, 2009 s550
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how to clear fault codes with a code scanner. on a 2009 s550.

Do u have to have the engine on? Running or not?

Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,092 Posts
The first step in clearing codes is to fix the problem. If the problem isn't fixed, the code will immediately reappear.

When the problem is fixed, some, not all, codes will automatically clear after a few drive cycles.

Instructions arrive with the scanner.

·
Registered
2001 210.082 +494, 2008 221.176 +494
145 Posts
I would like to know how to clear fault codes with a code scanner. on a 2009 s550.

Do u have to have the engine on? Running or not?

Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
When I am diagnosing, I make a printout of all current fault codes and after they are all documented, clear them. The, operate the affected control unit and see if the fault code returns.

Depending upon what diagnosis device you are using, such as an inexpensive OBD2 scanner, they generally only interrogate the engine ECU and emissions-related items. The ignition should be on when reading and clearing DTCs, but engine should be off. When the diagnostic device says theDTCs are cleared, turn the ignition off for 10 seconds, and turn it back on and recheck for DTCs to confirm they have been cleared.

·
Registered
2001 210.082 +494, 2008 221.176 +494
145 Posts
This was not intended to be posted twice but rather edited, so apologies for duplicate post in thread.

When I am diagnosing, I make a printout of all current fault codes and after they are all documented, clear them. Then, operate the affected control unit and see if the fault code returns.

Depending upon what diagnosis device you are using, such as an inexpensive OBD2 scanner, they generally only interrogate the engine ECU and emissions-related items. The ignition should be on when reading and clearing DTCs, but engine should be off. When the diagnostic device says theDTCs are cleared, turn the ignition off for 10 seconds, and turn it back on and recheck for DTCs to confirm they have been cleared.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts