Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diesels set to return to the U.S. - May. 3, 2007

"Mercedes-Benz, for example, will soon be selling diesel versions of its M-class, R-class and GL-class SUVs here and will be phasing out the E320 diesel sedan it currently sells here."

Phasing out the e320 diesel (Bluetec)? Has anyone else heard about this? Or is it typical misreporting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
BrianMcGann said:
Diesels set to return to the U.S. - May. 3, 2007

"Mercedes-Benz, for example, will soon be selling diesel versions of its M-class, R-class and GL-class SUVs here and will be phasing out the E320 diesel sedan it currently sells here."

Phasing out the e320 diesel (Bluetec)? Has anyone else heard about this? Or is it typical misreporting?
I am scratching my head.....
Introduce more diesel engine and phrase out E320 bluetec?
I think that CNN reporter might inhale too much of gasoline fume?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
I thought I remember reading something about the urea filtration tank would not fit in the W211 chassis. This may be the reason why the E320 bluetec may be discontinued.
 

·
Registered
2015 E250BT 4Matic
Joined
·
172 Posts
No Bluetec phase out !

BrianMcGann said:
[
Phasing out the e320 diesel (Bluetec)? Has anyone else heard about this? Or is it typical misreporting?
This report is utter nonsense !
Bluetec is the leading edge of clean diesel technology for Mercedes-Benz, both in Europe and North America. The E320 Bluetec will receive even greater emphasis when it becomes 50 state legal in the very near future. You will soon see more advertising on the environmental benefits of Bluetec.
The potential market for this new technology is huge, so there is no way that MB will be scaling back on it; quite the opposite !
Recent rapid growth of diesel sales in Canada is just the beginning of a North American resurgence. For the month of April, diesels accounted for more than 33% of sales for E Class, ML, GL and R Class in Canada.
There is a Bluetec wave coming; get ready !! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
Joined
·
5,113 Posts
This is a poor writer's attempt to note that the W211 will soon be replaced by the W212.
 

·
Registered
2006 ML350, 2005 C230K, 2000 E320
Joined
·
24 Posts
The bluetec currently available does not meet 50 state approval due to lack of a filter. What the author is TRYING to say is that the current CDI AND Bluetec that might be available in the 320 is already being phased out to introduce the 50 state compliant diesels. This introduction will begin with the super-clean SUV's and then go onto the E-Class after that.

It's CNN what do you expect...lol.
 

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
Hippocrates said:
The bluetec currently available does not meet 50 state approval due to lack of a filter. What the author is TRYING to say is that the current CDI AND Bluetec that might be available in the 320 is already being phased out to introduce the 50 state compliant diesels. This introduction will begin with the super-clean SUV's and then go onto the E-Class after that.

It's CNN what do you expect...lol.
What he said.

The current V6 will continue unchanged with only the addition of the Ad-Blue system to further reduce NOx down to Tier II Bin 5 levels for sale in 50 states.

DB
 

·
Registered
'06 E320CDI & '08 GL320CDI
Joined
·
112 Posts
Yeah, but would you rather have one of the new BT V6's or an 05/06 I-6's?

Saw a block out of a v-6 E320 yesterday. It had over 175,000 on it and there was no scuffing of the cylinder walls. You wouldn't even have to hone this engine to rebuild it.

I bought the I-6 because I like having 7 main bearings...
 

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
drivbiwire said:
What he said.

The current V6 will continue unchanged with only the addition of the Ad-Blue system to further reduce NOx down to Tier II Bin 5 levels for sale in 50 states.

DB
I thought they were able to get rid of exhaust recirculation too with Ad-Blue, was this info (that I got somewhere) not accurate?

Would be an improvement too, no more intake manifolds getting clogged.
 

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec
Joined
·
4 Posts
DerekS said:
This report is utter nonsense !
Bluetec is the leading edge of clean diesel technology for Mercedes-Benz, both in Europe and North America. The E320 Bluetec will receive even greater emphasis when it becomes 50 state legal in the very near future. You will soon see more advertising on the environmental benefits of Bluetec.
The potential market for this new technology is huge, so there is no way that MB will be scaling back on it; quite the opposite !
Recent rapid growth of diesel sales in Canada is just the beginning of a North American resurgence. For the month of April, diesels accounted for more than 33% of sales for E Class, ML, GL and R Class in Canada.
There is a Bluetec wave coming; get ready !! :thumbsup:
In addition to new MB diesel models in North America, we might see the introduction of the Bluetec V6 in cars from other manufacturers. I've read articles recently in The Star and Scientific American that suggested the Bluetec V6 will be licensed to Volkswagen/Audi. The inference was that VW would adopt the Bluetec V6 rather than attempt to modify the TDI to meet the US emissions requirements.
 

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
Diesel Benz said:
I thought they were able to get rid of exhaust recirculation too with Ad-Blue, was this info (that I got somewhere) not accurate?

Would be an improvement too, no more intake manifolds getting clogged.
With diesel combustion running as high as 2800 K/ 2550 C/ 4600 F within the combustion bowl Liquid cooled EGR is perhaps the most effective way to reduce the formation of NOx at the source.

Carbon fouling due to high sulfur fuels was a major concern and documented issue especially in engines designed to run 50ppm sulfur fuel and then operated on 500+ppm. The resulting increase in carbon/soot formation led to many operational issues in the motor.

USLD virtually eliminates this as a concern. Greatly reduced soot formation allows trouble free use of EGR in conjunction with liquid to gas pre-cooling prior to injection of the gasses into the charged air of the intake.

EGR + Ad-Blue seems to be the best solution for Tier II Bin 5.

DB
 

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
Joined
·
5,113 Posts
benz_driver said:
I bought the I-6 because I like having 7 main bearings...
Every bearing is more friction and poorer fuel economy.

Can't get 7 in a V6 anyway.
 

·
Registered
'06 E320CDI & '08 GL320CDI
Joined
·
112 Posts
lkchris said:
Every bearing is more friction and poorer fuel economy.

Can't get 7 in a V6 anyway.
That's true on the V6 - 4 main bearings.

The thinking on an I-6 is that by spreading out the load over 7, they last longer due to less load on each. Plus associated friction should be less per bearing.

Plus, there are no balance shafts required in an I-6 for harmonic reduction - less friction driving those and supporting their associated bearings.

Last but not least, the rated fuel economy for the older I-6 is BETTER than the new Bluetec V6. Wonder why that is?
 

·
Registered
2015 E250BT 4Matic
Joined
·
172 Posts
benz_driver said:
That's true on the V6 - 4 main bearings.
The thinking on an I-6 is that by spreading out the load over 7, they last longer due to less load on each. Plus associated friction should be less per bearing.
Plus, there are no balance shafts required in an I-6 for harmonic reduction - less friction driving those and supporting their associated bearings.
Last but not least, the rated fuel economy for the older I-6 is BETTER than the new Bluetec V6. Wonder why that is?
Interesting that many owners of 320 CDI argue that the I-6 engine is "better" (as in better fuel economy and longevity) than the V6.

Why then would MB switch from the I-6 configuration to V6 ? Perhaps some of the answers are offered by the engine block manufacturer (www.hydro.com) :

"Hydro has advanced its proprietary Core Packaging System CPS to become the leading tecnology for complex engine castings. Far-reaching design options allowed the integration of oil and water channels and pre-casting of attached parts, supporting Daimler-Chrysler's innovative 'one-box concept'.

At a V-degree of 72, the most compact engine architecture in its class achieves a performance-weight ratio of 0.79 KW/kg, up 20 per cent compared with its predecessor. Cast-in rough iron liners ensure high thermal conductivity and low friction for the engine run. Yet, Hydro's final aluminum block is saving more than 35kg compared with a similar engine in cast iron.

The casting method has been refined to provide outstanding fatigue strength, even exceeding the level of grey cast iron. Thanks to a combination of contact poring, chill technique and a fine-tuned alloy, the new block meets the famous Mercedes standard for long term durability, even at such tremendous torque level as 510 Nm."

So, it would appear that higher output ( 210hp & 400 ft-lbs torque v's 201hp & 368 ft-lbs.), lighter weight over the front wheels (-35kg), comparable fuel economy, similar durability and better recyclability (aluminum v's cast iron) offered Mercedes sufficient reasons to make the changeover to a V6. Whilst it is true that the I-6 has better rated fuel economy than the V6, the real world fuel economy figures do not appear to vary significantly between the two engines.

The recent Paris - Beijing tour that was made by 36 E Class with diesel V6 engines certainly offered compelling testimony to the engines' reliablility, with not one engine problem encountered in the grand total of more than 600,000 kms accumulated by the team. Mercedes also set recent endurance records for a diesel with the V6 engine in a long distance trial (100,000 kms) at average speeds exceeding 200km/h. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top