Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Im shifting gears heading to dinner and i pull in i try to downshift to first and it wont go in. I put weight onto my clutch, as much as i could and i got it intofirst and now i shift but its abnormal shifting. if that make since. it feels like my clutch doesnt have much leeway. ill try to explain. i use to have 2 inch of clutch now i only have 1 inch. if that makes any since. so is my clutch going bad or has it just decited to spazz out. It still shifts fine it just feels like a whole differnt clutch.

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well this morning i thougth the problem went away and maybe it was my imagination. on my way home a block away from my house i couldnt down shift. well i got it out of fourth into neatural, but have to press as hard as i could to get it into force (with a little force) any suggestions or ideas whats wrong. Maybe tomorrow morning ill have my clutch back. Once i get it back it seems to get better eventually. again hard for me to explain HELP!

· Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,668 Posts
Sounds like the master or slave cylinder is leaking causing engagement disengagement issues. That should be taken care of because you may not have forward motion when you need it!

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is this hard to fix do i have to buy a new master cylinder? and what caused it. running high rmps. keeping at a too fast of speed. i usualy go 80 to in from work. for like a 15mils stretch then slow it down the rest of the way once im off the high way. and thanks for commenting

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HELP HELP i drove about 60miles to my friends house and luckly only had to stop twice well 4 times with traffic lights and stuff toward the end. but anyways stopping for tolls i couldnt get my clutch into gears. Im pretty sure its the master clutch cylinder. and pumping the clutch doesnt seem to help much maybe its time i donno or maybe im pumping it wrong, but eventually after about half hour each stop i was able to pump it back. when i was off the high way at lower speeds i was able to pump it while driving and eventually got back my clutch. so anyways see its the weekend and most auto shops are closed and even if they were open would have to order the part. so this is the delima i need to get back to my house without fear of having to call a tow truck, any suggestions maybe i could uninstall the dash and pump that pump thing if that maakes since. well alright please help thanks

· Registered
1981 300CD, 1973 280C
448 Posts
You need to verify you have fluid in the master cylinder. It sounds like you have lost enough fluid so the hydrallic system cannt move the release arm far enough. Get some brake fluid at a store and top off the fluid. The fluid goes down for three reasons. 1. leak somewhere 2. brake pads worn very thin. 3. clutch disc thin.

· Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i thought i mentioned this but i guess not. the brake fluid is still full, so theres no leak. i believe my car is having a hard time building pressure maybe something inside the master clutch clyinder is bent and needs to be replaced the bent thing is allowing fluid to pass and no compress when the clutch is pushed in. so this being said does speeding have anything to do with the release of pressure within the master clutch cylinder if so ill just go 40 the whole way home. i drove it today around 50 and i had no problem at all. i just have to drive home which is about 60 miles and dont want to cough up hundreds of dolars for a tow truck. Thanks the car is going in the shop monday morning. :surrender:

· Registered
1981 300CD, 1973 280C
448 Posts
Speeding has nothing to do with it. Shifting later at a higher RPM does. Shift early and drive it home. If at a stop light it wont go back to 1st, just shut off the engine, put it in 1st, restart and then leave the intersection. Then shift early to second thru forth.

· Registered
137 Posts
Same problem here

Hi 240Dbio. I've got the same issue. I actually went ahead and replaced my clutch, but still to no avail. I was told that it becomes difficult to shift due to master cylinder or the slave cylinder. Anyways, I'm going to order some parts for this weekend project. Let me know if you got your issue resolved and how you did it. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.