Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the weirdest thing happen this morning. Jumped in the 404, started it right up, but the clutch wouldn’t disengage. It’s only been 2 days since I last used it so it’s hard to believe the pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel stuck together like they sometimes do if a vehicle has been sitting outside for a while. I checked the linkage and all seemed well. I started it up in gear and backed it out, and after a few more tries pushing the pedal down it seem to be fine now. The set up is all mechanical, not the single hydraulic set up.
Any ideas what’s going on? Its one thing to be stuck at home base but can you imagine having to start it in 2nd and drive it home. It would be spring before I got here.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Start it up in 4th (or 2nd and shift into 4th without the clutch), push in the clutch and hold it down, and find a big hill to provide some resistance. Use the brakes if you have to Problem with these beasts is the clutch is not challenged much and when they get stuck from leaking stickies or overheated plates or just sitting, its hard to get them to slip and disengage.

When I got my Mog, the clutch was completely shot but they even didn't know it since it wouldn't slip in first or second. They thought 3-6 gears were not working.

If your sure about the linkage, try the above.

Edit:

I re-read you post and see that you did get it disengaged. Rust can be a two day item. Leakage is also a possibility.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts