Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1988 190 E
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it hard to remove the instrument cluster for my 190E 1988 ?
Looked on youtube did not find any interesting one.?

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Not really difficult, just a PITA. Having small hands helps.

Instrument Panel

5. Remove the cover under the dash on the drivers side. Looking under the dash find and remove the left hand air duct. 6. Reach up behind the dash and unscrew the speedometer retaining nut on the back of the instrument panel and detach the cable from the speedometer head. 7. Push out the instrument panel from the rear to release the five retaining clips. 8. Remove the electrical connectors form the instrument panel mark them so u know where they go for reassembly 9. Remove the panel from the car.
Disconnecting the speedometer cable from the transmission first makes it alot easier.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Nope, not hard at all. Small hands would be helpful. The hardest part is disconnecting the speedometer cable, this is where small hands would help. You have to put your hand through the left vent and blindly disconnect the cable. Then the cluster will pull out enough to disconnect the rest of the connections. The reverse is really the tricky part. It's much easier with the steering wheel off but not necessary.

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,394 Posts
May I suggest placing some masking tape on the ledge of the dash just before the cluster. That will protect the ledge from any scratches.

+1 on the instructions and reference above.

·
Registered
1986 190-e 2.3-16 manual shifter
108 Posts
Just a question. What would happen if I remove the cluster without disconnecting the negative terminal???

Thanks;
hmarmaizmd717

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
In all seriousness aside, the car would likely completely short circut with so many disconnected wires and catch on fire. I would recommend using a garden hose to lightly spray into the center vent and behind the cluster so nothing catches on fire, you know?

·
Registered
1986 190-e 2.3-16 manual shifter
108 Posts
I thought I was asking a serious question, Viper. Due to the fact that in the " tutorial"
on how to remove the cluster, it was stated to disconnect it. I think I deserve a human answer. Ha.

hmarmaizmd717

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
Ok haha

I don't think it matters if you remove the negative terminal or not. When I removed my cluster, the battery was still hooked up. The only thing that will be getting power is the clock I believe.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
Most likely just for safety, you never know what could happen, there is always a chance the airbag could blow up with all the moving around behind there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts