Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have 97 e420 and I bought on ebay w210 instrument cluster. When I installed it and turn the engine on, on the display where showing miles there was message that "display defective". Then I thougt that the guy gave me a broken cluster. I went to his place and ask him what is the problem ... He told me that cluster should be good. Then he bring me 4 more clusters the was one 96 - 99 and others were 00+ so I tried them all and it was the same problem.... Couple days later I went to the younk yard and tried to put in the 00+ cluster. Guess what ! The same thing .... :( Maybe someone knows what might be wrong ?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
E220T cdi
28 Posts
As far as I know the cluster has to be reprogrammed with data from the cluster from your car.

I think the different units talk to each other via the CAN bus and now your new cluster isn't recognized.

This problem also applies to several other items such as the climate control display and electronic boxes.

It's not easy to be a DIY these days, but don't take my word for it I'm not an expert in this field so you better dig deeper in this problem to be sure.

Morgan

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
The electronics change from year to year. If in 98 or 99 CAN bus was added, you will get an error on a 96 or 97. See if you can find one from a 96 or 97 model.

·
Registered
1997 E420
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh I guess you're right .... There is any way to fix 00+ cluster that it would work in my car ?

·
Registered
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
283 Posts
You need to have new cluster version coded. SteveNL did mine for $50 (you will need StarDiagnostic to do it).

Even if you exchange one for same year, you "might" still have to do it, I don't know what trigger the computer to display msg, all I know is after version coded, it went away.

·
Registered
1998 E320
50 Posts
First off, I'm definitly no expert. I have a '98 and purchased a "new" cluster that was still in the box. I believe it was for a '97 model because it looked just like mine, but the display registered "Defective". I presumed that I had purchased a defective unit and found 2000(?) unit on Ebay.
Better, but not perfect. As listed at one of the other discussions, the clock is a bother to set, the temp is no good, and the display area at the lower right is goofy.
So, what does all of that mean? Try a '97 display. You can try my spare if you like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts