Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a C320 yesterday and am totally loving it, but I am be very nit picky about it currently so I can get it all the little bugs worked out.

There were a few things I noticed about the LCD cluster. The first, which in my time of owning cars, is the strangest, the milage odometer reads 105,000 but the seller and the title says it has 139,000. I found service records from the Mercedes dealership with a somewhat recent date on it and it was checked in at 102,000. Could this possibly be wrong? or did the seller report the car as having higher milage because she misread the numbers (the lcd is starting to fade due to heat).

The second thing is, there are no malfunctions, I'm not complaining! BUT my windshield washer fluid was dead empty and I was never notified to "Check washer fluid." Is it possible that my cluster is not reading the cars diagnostics correctly and if so, how can this be fixed?

More questions to come, but I'll keep those in separate threads.

Thanks!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,452 Posts
Fading of the MFD panel is common. Search the forum - there is a lot of discussion and reports where people have had theirs repaired.

As for the mileage, it's not impossible to change it, but it's very difficult and often expensive, and it probably wouldn't be worth if to roll back from 139K to 105K. My guess is the seller just made a mistake. Of course now, your Carfax will show "odometer discrepancy" if you ever have the car service by a facility that reports mileage to them (most dealers and chain store garages). I wouldn't worry much about it because at this age, it won't affect the vehicle's value that much.

Finally, the washer fluid indicator should be working. That can't be a problem with the cluster as it just reports the signals it receives over the CAN bus. My guess is that the sensor in the tank is defective. You can take it out and check it - you have to remove the front left road wheel, and the plastic shroud that sits between it and the bumper. The reservoir is behind there. While you have it out, you might as well replace the pump motor and it's o-ring seal, too. These fail and they are inexpensive (under $30 at parts.com).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts