Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Recently bought an 01 cab with 20K mi. Great condition, beautiful car...but the suspension feels sloppy and loose, taking speed bumps and potholes painfully. I had it in recently for warranty work (unrelated to suspension) and was given a little C230 as a loaner...this entry level benz was SIGNIFICANTLY better on holes, bumps... you name it, than my CLK. Also, tonight I hit a dip pretty hard and sprang up my rear headrests! She bottomed out way too easilly. I'm not at all impressed with the suspension on the CLK and would like to modify it somehow. Anyone else experience this? If so, any advice on what I can do to the suspension without the car riding stiff like a race car? Is part of owning a CLK inheriting the burden of having to creep over every speed bump and dip that's in front of me?

·
Registered
202 Posts
My '99 was kinda sloppy before I bought Bilstein shocks for it. The front is perfect now, but the back is way too stiff, the stuff in my trunk gets air because I can hear it land.
If I had to do it over again I probably would've left the rears stock.
Bilstein makes a rubbery/foam bump stop that fits on the shaft of the shock. Just a thought, but I'd try it if I had your problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts