Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Seems like those coilovers that @pte used are for lowering the ride height. Are there any coilovers that maintains the stock ride height or even gives it a lift?
You can use them to either maintain, raise or lower your oem ride height. Like the other members, pte and sgtpepperaut, it was used to lower the oem ride height & still have the same/similar firmer ML55 ride.
I found the ML500 rear strut ride height was too high for my liking (for our driving/road conditions).
These are adjustable so if you wish to raise the height or maintain oem, just adjust the coil rings. Its that simple. Based on pte's discussion we had, I settled on the 650lbs hypercoil springs. Pte had experienced with 700s I think, a tad too harsh of a ride.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@khomer2
I currently have Bilstein 41-0173435 in the rear. I prefer a firmer ride. It's really windy in my area and my ML loves to sway quite bit. Before I go for a new coil over set up I might try a thicker swaybar. H&R have them right? So I will try that first.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
@khomer2
I currently have Bilstein 41-0173435 in the rear. I prefer a firmer ride. It's really windy in my area and my ML loves to sway quite bit. Before I go for a new coil over set up I might try a thicker swaybar. H&R have them right? So I will try that first.
I couldn't find anything on these bilsteins of yours.
We installed these with the coilover kit - Bilstein B6s
H&R Rear swaybar is 23mm (yes they have them) vs. ML55 19-20mm (not 100% sure - our ML500 measures 19mm - I've check and it seems the rear oem sways for the ML55 and ML500 are the same). Front oem sway for our 02 ML500 is the same size as the ML55s. H&R sways are $$$, hence why I stuck with the coilover conversion to lower the ride (priority 1) and changed out all the rubber bushings front and rear to PU including the rear links.
If by chance, the price comes down on a H&R rear sway (which I doubt), I may swap, but not at $390usd for that one piece. This suv is still a truck and it's not going to take hair pin turns like my E50, but it sure rides firm and corners well with the present setup.
Now if I could find a way to better bolster these oem front seats (another story), hummm - my upholstery man, did the best he could beefing up the side bolsters (seat and back), but sad to say, Recaro seats they are not.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
@khomer2
I have these installed in the rear
These look to be Bilstein B4s according to the link info at FCPEuro.
Not wishing to digress away from your original topic Legend - here's a discussion we had 7mos ago on the topic of the shocks -

Your input on your B4s is a firm ride. I'm now wondering how my B6s are vs. the B4s.
Then again, you have a complete strut setup you purchased and so the spring rate (I would imagine) is not the same as the hyperco springs on our coilovers. Perhaps your firm ride has to do with a higher spring rate? with B4s?
Just surmising at this point. :). And perhaps not a proper comparison.
Either way, if it works for you based on your priorities, then the job is done/ :)
I wanted the ability to have firm ride like an ML55 and lower ride height & adjust-ability on the fly, so-to-speak.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts