Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite some time this has been driving me nuts. Every time I make a right turn onto an incline/hill I hear a loud snapping sound coming from the right rear suspension. When driving on a flat road at any speed I don't seem to hear or feel any noise coming from the rear. It's only happening when I go and make a right turn up on an incline/hill. Also, occasionally when I go into reverse and again towards the right I hear and feel more of a clunking and even grinding sound being made. I put the car on jacks and inspected if there is any play in the ball joints using a crow bar. I am not getting any play on either the left or right rear wheels. For good measure I check the front wheels too. Nothing. I checked the sway bar bushing and links and they are in good shape and nothing looks or feels loose. The front torsion brackets are well greased and bushing are not cracked. I already had a previous battle with that.... But for the life of me I can not figure out what is causing this sound? My front and rear shocks were changed last year....Can bad engine and transmission mounts cause this sound?

·
Registered
2002 ml55
205 Posts
it sounds like you did this... but just in case :

check your upper control arms.... look for any shiny metal (from metal on metal rubbing) :

view from engine bay... looking at the wheel well areas toward the front right and left side (near the bumper)

and go under the car... and examine every metal bracket. metal control arms.... again... looking for shiny metal - which would indicate that the control arms are loose

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,738 Posts
The chain on your transfer case could be stretched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,738 Posts
Positive it is the right rear and not the middle which could be a torsion bar bushing?
He has done the bushing recently Wallyo.
My transfer case clicked on accelerating right hand turns. Swapped it over and the noise was gone.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
942 Posts
He has done the bushing recently Wallyo.
My transfer case clicked on accelerating right hand turns. Swapped it over and the noise was gone.

Yes correct.

But he did not state if the noise was first then he replaced the bushing and still had the noise.

or

Replaced the bushing then the noise showed up.

One member replaced a bushing 2 weeks later it was cracked.
Engine mount can usually cause steering wheel vibration though,and not just limited to turns. Matt is correct a transfer case chain as well.

Other items are
Wheel sensor, rear 1/2 shaft, drive shaft center support bushing, check rear axle carrier bushings (ie differential bushings), rear wheel bearing. Sure the noise is right rear sometimes a noise say when turning right is actually from the opposite side (left in this case). Open the left rear quarter window turn right see how loud then, close it open the right window and see if louder. I am all for safety but maybe have some one sit in the cargo area and do so in an empty parking lot.

Sounds are weird had a bad center support bearing 4 people in the car everyone said the noise was coming from their wheel closest to them, it was actually from behind the console

·
Registered
2000 ML320
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I will find out tomorrow on what's wrong. I am having my mechanic use my car overnight and he is going to see what causing the sound. I am also having him replace the rear main seal. It's gotten to a point where I am getting tired of cleaning up oil puddles on my driveway. For good measure I am having him replace the transmission mount since the job already requires dropping the transmission. I will update soon.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,153 Posts
Well I will find out tomorrow on what's wrong. I am having my mechanic use my car overnight and he is going to see what causing the sound. I am also having him replace the rear main seal. It's gotten to a point where I am getting tired of cleaning up oil puddles on my driveway. For good measure I am having him replace the transmission mount since the job already requires dropping the transmission. I will update soon.
I would hold off with rear crank seal until source of the noise is identified. Transfer case has to come out before transmission. Drain transfer case fluid through fine mesh paint filter. Stool samples reveal more then stethoscope.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what I reading here is that it can be:

Worn out control arm bushings (I didn't check for that...)
cracked torsion bushings (checked; all good but please god not again)
Broken rear Springs (I didn't notice anything broken)
Metal shavings/chunks in Transfer case fluid (I did not check that)
Other threads and forums say:
Worn out transmission/engine mounts (didn't check that)
Bad ball joints (I checked with crowbar; all good)
Left/Right rear lateral toe arm (Did not check that)
Worn out sway bar links and sway bar bushings (I checked that; all good)
Bad shock absorber (no way to test that without removing the coil....)

So already lots of things to consider......
For the transfer case. I have changed the fluid every 50k miles....so far twice I have done it with MB approved fluid.I do engage the low range a few times every month to ensure its functionality. It's always worked and when engaged I have never heard or felt anything except for the thud/clunk of it engaging and disengaging.

Since the abnormal sound/snapping is made by making specific maneuvers (going up a hill while turning right and going in reverse while going right) I am betting it might be a suspension related problem. I mean I can clearly hear the sound coming from the right rear passenger side.....

I will find out more tomorrow. My mechanic will call me before he does any work.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 230K Miles
89 Posts
I had a rear coil passenger/Right side break and you would never tell by looking at the coil.
Friggen drove me nuts!
I was convinced it was the brake/wheel bearing as tire was wearing odd, kinda feathered.
I had the wheel jacked up to go through the brakes and check wheel bearing that I spotted it while not even looking for it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
942 Posts
So already lots of things to consider......
For the transfer case. I have changed the fluid every 50k miles....so far twice I have done it with MB approved fluid.I do engage the low range a few times every month to ensure its functionality. It's always worked and when engaged I have never heard or felt anything except for the thud/clunk of it engaging and disengaging.
For the transfer case as matt said it could be the chain.
Check the rear differential bushings I think there are 3. Easy to check the bolt should go through very close to dead center. They do not fail as much as the front because there are no oils (power steering, brake, etc) that drip on them are present.
Check that the struts were torqued correctly.
Check wheel bearing.
Check the half shaft.
Drive shaft center support bearing.

Keep in mind though turning right due to weight transfer the problem can be on the left. Also One issue say a broken spring can lead to another; bad strut or brake noise due to uneven wear.

Like I said when the center support bearing went out I thought it was front wheel bearing or front drive shaft joints. Here is an easy test I did near my house is a subdivision on a hill with a very steep grade, my noise was constant. Drove to the top turned around put it in N rolled down no noise/vibration at all. did this several time stopping then starting. Got to a flat spot In D noise/vibration, so it was some where in the drive line. You can try some thing similar making rt turns. The area I was in had very little traffic.

You say it is on right turns only. But more info is needed is it always there no matter what or only when you brake or accelerate?

·
Registered
2002 ml55
205 Posts
So what I reading here is that it can be:

Worn out control arm bushings (I didn't check for that...)..
sounds like you have a full list ! ... just for clarity .... i wasn't specifying the control arm bushings, but actually the control arm attachment points... because it was specific noise when turning a wheel and driving at an incline... anyway.. good luck !

·
Registered
2000 ML320
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can not believe this ANOTHER CRACKED TORSION BUSHING on the passenger side.......smh. Apparently it was a clean crack that cleaved the bushing right in half that I didn't even notice. I mean i removed the bracket examined it. I don't know how I missed that. Maybe because the grease was holding it in place.....These bushing suck. Anyways my mechanic replaced the rear main seal, transmission mount, shifter bushing, and passenger torrison bushing and now the snapping/clunking seemed to have disappeared for now as well as no more oil leaks. A future project I am curious if anyone has ever switched over to coil overs and deleted these damn torsion bars? I think I remember someone doing it for their ML55. Anyone remember? Worth it?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
942 Posts
I can not believe this ANOTHER CRACKED TORSION BUSHING on the passenger side.......smh. Apparently it was a clean crack that cleaved the bushing right in half that I didn't even notice. I mean i removed the bracket examined it. I don't know how I missed that. Maybe because the grease was holding it in place.....These bushing suck. Anyways my mechanic replaced the rear main seal, transmission mount, shifter bushing, and passenger torrison bushing and now the snapping/clunking seemed to have disappeared for now as well as no more oil leaks. A future project I am curious if anyone has ever switched over to coil overs and deleted these damn torsion bars? I think I remember someone doing it for their ML55. Anyone remember? Worth it?
Hate to say I told you! But the only reason I knew was that another member just had that happen. His situation was a littler different he had forgotten the grease. But also purchased a not highly regarded one, there are urethane bushings now.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,196 Posts
PTE and sgtpepperaut I recall switched over to coilovers for the rear. Torsion bars up front cant be converted or modified.
I also went with coilovers at the rear as suggested by pte. For the front torsion bar, I adjusted (lowered) by 1".
Never had any issues with the bushings cracking.....yet.
The swap to coilovers was the best decision vs. the butt-up struts. ML55 struts are hard to find (in any decent condition). new OEM ML55s rear struts will cost you both arms. Coilovers using B6s and re-purposing the oem top piece strut mount worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,196 Posts
Hate to say I told you! But the only reason I new was that another member just had that happen. His situation was a littler different he had forgotten the grease. But also purchased a not highly regarded one, there are urethane bushings now.
Polyurethane bushings for the torsion bar?
where?

EDIT:
These?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
942 Posts
Yes posted over here Torsion bearings yes I have not looked into them but llc recommended them.

FCPEuro upgraded their web site lately which now does not display all the parts under the Category tree. Search for "Mercedes Torsion Bar Bearing Pad Kit - Super Pro SPF2844K".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts