Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002-SL500 SilverArrow,71Monte Carlo,06 Ram "Hemi",06 Sport trac,89 custom Harley,98 Road King &boat
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently noticed when either turning into uneven driveways or over speed bumps i hear a clunk crack sound on the left side of car under and i think the rear side or there abouts.
Today driving slow over short speed bumps whereas i can drive one sided over the bump, i know it is coming only from the left side under my vehicle.

Any ideas as to what in the rear half left side, what the noise is ? :confused:

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
it could be something in the suspension that's loose. a sheered bolt and a loose arm or something like that. look underneath and take a look to see if anything is loose then go from there.

·
Registered
2002-SL500 SilverArrow,71Monte Carlo,06 Ram "Hemi",06 Sport trac,89 custom Harley,98 Road King &boat
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive been reading several forums , already checked the exhaust system mounts & front suspension.
What I have read is a cross brace should be looked at and maybe torqued up ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is this cross brace located?
I was looking earlier today under the car but i could only see what i think is a brace from the front radiator area that goes to approx front wheel well area frame also a brace looking bar from the rear axle to the frame area.
anyone have a picture?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
where is this cross brace located?
I was looking earlier today under the car but i could only see what i think is a brace from the front radiator area that goes to approx front wheel well area frame also a brace looking bar from the rear axle to the frame area.
anyone have a picture?
Look at the front area where the front jack rubber is a few inches away to the front is one side of it.

It is screwed with a 10mm STAR bolt, the other side crosses the engine to the cross member, re pit for the other side.

It is about 3.4"X4feet long flat steel.
It is bolted with lock TIGHT.

Regards,
aam

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so with this cross brace should it be loosened and torqued again.
does it get loose with time or something.

i see the bars now they look tight
will get a 10mm star in there tomorrow & see if these are loose somewhat.
what is the correct torque spec for this ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just want to confirm the cross brace WAS the issue all tightend up also went over anything else related and drives smooth as silk no clanking/banging also found one front wheel bearing needed slight adjustment ..all good !
thanks for everyones input.
motor on!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,084 Posts
Had severe clunking on mine too. Tightening cross brace with T55 socket made it quiet again.

·
Registered
1997 SL 320
193 Posts
My car seems to have this issue as well, I will check out all that has ben mentioned in this thread.

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
If your driving slow over a speed bump or slow turning on uneven surfaces,and your hearing a clunk from rear of car,and car seems to sway side to side its usually the rear sway bar links,those are the first to fail,not hard to replace and cheap! my 300SE has that problem and have new ones to install,received the OEM part and guess what? they are made out of plastic! WHAT?!!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts