Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2003 E320, with 73K miles, in terrific general condition.

I noticed that when barely rolling (say, in a parking lot, after backing out of a space), if I shift from reverse to drive (or the other way around) the car makes a fairly loud `clunk' and shudders a bit, if the car is not completely stopped. Otherwise, the transmission seems to be operating perfectly.

Is this normal, meaning you cannot shift from drive to reverse unless the car is 100% stationary? Or, is this an indication of a problem?

I've never experienced this with any other car with automatic transmissions, over many years of driving hundreds of cars.

A hint: The dealer said the car had some `vibration' when they took it in trade, and replaced the engine mounts. Could the cause of that problem be related to the cause of the `clunk'?

I am new to Mercedes, so will appreciate your help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
372 Posts
The answer is simple... yes, the car must be completely stopped before you shift from reverse to drive or vice versa. The trans is highly refined and not "sloppy" like so many American products. It wants to be ready to take off and go when in the selected gear. So, there is little "play" that would otherwise allow you to drift in the wrong direction, while shifting from reverse to forward. I yell at my wife about this all the time! These transmissions are expensive and should be taken care of. You say it works well, other than not being able to shift directions while moving. So, please don't do it!!!!

·
Registered
2003 E320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's encouraging. However, in other forums, I did see reference to it being indicative of other issues.

But, good advice, which I will follow.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
372 Posts
Good! I was just checking my owner's manual. It says "Only shift into gear when the engine is idling normally and when your right foot is firmly on the brake pedal". And, it goes on to say "Shift to reverse gear only with the vehicle stopped". So, I was just telling you what Mercedes recommends. It should be in your owner's manual.
Welcome to Mercedes and the forum!
Best regards, Peter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good! I was just checking my owner's manual. It says "Only shift into gear when the engine is idling normally and when your right foot is firmly on the brake pedal". And, it goes on to say "Shift to reverse gear only with the vehicle stopped". So, I was just telling you what Mercedes recommends. It should be in your owner's manual.
Welcome to Mercedes and the forum!
Best regards, Peter
What he said^^^^ X 1000. Demand a refund from your driving school. :shit not:

The car is a RWD and has a drive train with some built in play. If it does not clunk when you are fully stopped while changing from R to D or vice versa, I would not worry about it. Enjoy:D

·
Registered
2003 E320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re clunk when shifting into reverse.

Thanks to all replies. Really appreciated.

New to Mercedes, but loving it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts