Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 S550 4matic
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 E320 with 4Matic (5 weeks ago and it now has 15,720 miles) and I recently noticed that if I take my foot off the gas and let it coast for a few seconds and then apply some gas I get a clunk coming from the rear of the car. I thought it might be a U-joint and I took it to Mercedes and they gave it back telling me the noise was "normal" for a 4matic. Being a first time Mercedes owner I thought I'd ask if this is indeed legitimate. I've also noticed that on occassion as I roll to a stop I will get a very light clunk as the transmission downshifts into 1st gear. Is that normal?? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Duffy

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
That actually is a complaint about the E-Class. It is not the flex disks either but the rear diff. It happens more frequently when you are going around a cruve so that one wheel is spinning faster than the other. When you hit the gas, you get a bump from the rear end like you got tapped on the bumper.

·
Registered
2001 e320 wagon
36 Posts
yeah, i have the same issue with my 2001 4matic wagon. only the noise seems to be more of a clanking (at idle speed, for example at a drive-thru), and it comes from the middle section of the car. i was wondering if that's something i should have a tech look at.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine does this as well, noticably at low speeds if I'm coasting then quickly hit the accelerator. Dealer said it was 'normal'.

·
Registered
2001 e320 wagon
36 Posts
well, if i was the dealer, i'd be embarassed to admit that a rattling noise is 'normal'. these cars are supposed to be a notch above all others, and in my experience (i've had 3), they're very finicky.

i guess if money is no object you can have them in the shop a lot, but after spending a lot more for a mb, the shop is the last place you need to be.

i think a caddillac is in order.... [8D]

·
Registered
2008 S550 4matic
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is going into MB of Greenwich on Tuesday - I'll let you know what happens. When I talked to the tech advisor he suggested it could well be the slip disk - there are apparently 2 of them. He responded to the other minor issues in a manner quite different than the folks at MB of White Plains - they acted as though they were doing me a favor and when I got the car back - nothing had been done so they didn't do me any favors. Who you have the car service by can make all the difference in the world - I found this out the hard way with my Volvo S80 Turbo (piece of junk). I'm hoping Greenwich has their act together.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic
23 Posts
Please update us when you hear back....

Let me tell you the story of my 2000 E320 4matic clunking.

Took it into Manhattan Mercedes twice. First time, replaced the transmission computer and reset the electronic shifting.. Maybe they didn't hear me when I said the rear of the car was clunking not the shift pattern....

Second time, no fault found. So, $75 charge. Which, I dealt with because they were great in replacing the other $18,000 in parts (Kudos to MB Manhattan for a new dash and transfer case, cat converters, and electronics all around) that Keeler Mercedes in Albany failed to replace as part of their "certified program". In any case, tragic for a car with 28k miles... but I digress.

Third time... David Michael Mercedes in NJ. They replaced the drive shaft. The ujoint was toasted and the engine mounts also were shot. Improvement by 90%!!!

However, it still clunks when city driving... but only noticeable when coming to a fast stop. I swear something is shot in the rear end. Sad, because the non 4matic version my friend has doesn't do this...

I sure hope the 4matic in the S-class is better than this POS when I trade up or I'll stay far away....

·
Registered
2008 S550 4matic
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my car back from Mercedes in Greenwich CT yesterday and I am IMPRESSED!! Let me back up. I bought the car from Mercedes in White Plains NY 2 months ago - Starmark car (12,619 miles on it). After I had it a week or so and got over the initial joy factor I noticed a few things - the clunking from the rear, the steering wheel squeeking, there was a shimmy on the front end at 38MPH, a clinking noise in the cabin and a few other things. I took it to White Plains and they said all the noises were "normal" and returned the car to me. I made an appointment with the folks in Greenwich and they went thru the car and fixed the things I had asked for and did more than I asked for.

The wheel squeek is a known problem - fixed
Clinking inside cabin - known problem driver seat frame - fixed
Clunking from the rear - engine mount broken
Shimmy - tires rotated and speed balanced

Now how could white plains sell me the car like this after it had gone thru the Starmark inspection program and how could they not catch these items when I brought it back for repair.

But WAIT - it gets better.
Greenwich said that the software needed to be upgraded, then they said the steering high pressure hose should be replaced, then they said the air conditioning flow was within specs but marginal so they replaced the regulator and the blower, they found a very slight leak in the transverse case so the replaced the seal, they found that the catalytic converter on the right side was marginal so they replaced it, they replaced some bushings and seals on the rack and pinion steering, reset the software on the transmission that recognizes the users driving habits and knows when to shift gears, did a front end alignment, changed the oil, coolant, wiper and did the usual wash.

My cost - $00.00 The experience - Priceless

The tech rep who assisted me knew the car inside and out and asked questions when I brought it in and said he would check areas that were known issues. He asked to keep the car for 2 days and then called me and asked for a 3rd day - he wanted to make sure they got everything - they did.

There is still an ever so slight clunk when the car downshifts into first gear as you're rolling to a stop but I am told by MB and other owners that that noise is indeed normal.

Which dealer you go to can make all the difference in the world. With my Volvo - the dealer that sold me the car screwed things up so badly (it was in the shop 16 times in 1 year) that I almost went to Lemon law arbitration and then Volvo NA asked me to take it to a different dealer and the car ran beautifully afterwards. My experience at Mercedes tells me this is very true once again. I intend to write the owner of Mercedes in White Plains and let him know that his service department is not up to snuff. I'm not asking for an apology or anything like that - just hope the information is uesful to him.

Jeff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I have the same clunking problem as you, coasting and when i accelerate, i hear this clunk. Did you replace both engine mounts to fix the problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts