Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here and I am sure this has been gone over before, but I could not find what I was looking for so bare with me.

I am looking at either a CLS55 or CLS63 but wanted to know which has more potential for modding the engine. I would assume it would be the CLS63 seeing as the 55 already has a blower. Is the 63 built strong enough to handle a blower or would it need significant lower end rebuiling?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the 63, but quite honestly if you're into engine mods and are looking to make the car as fast as it can be then go with the 55. It has much more mod potential.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 63, but quite honestly if you're into engine mods and are looking to make the car as fast as it can be then go with the 55. It has much more mod potential.
Thanks for the reply. After doing some looking around on the forum I have seen this mentioned in a couple of spots. Seems the already blown engine is more receptical to further engine modding.

I do find it interestng that the new 63 puts out significanlty less torque than the 55 though. I have not seen a torque curve for either engine but would assume the 55 has more area under the curve and would explain why it is claimed to be quicker than the 63. Just saw an 07 55 with 21K for 40K but can't find it anymore, think it was even white with cashmere intterior I;ll keep looking for it.

I would like to find one that is still under factory warranty so I could get the extended warranty (would not be modding for some time)

I also ran across a thread where people were going to be very happy if they get 100K miles out of their car before it started needing major fixing (and not to the engine, just other things). I find this very sad for a $100K car

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, that info sounds correct about the engine. I'm not an engine mod kinda guy, but honestly both cars are 'stupid fast' and I'd have a hard time believing that you wouldn't be satisfied with the power in both. The 55 has a bit more low end grunt (just a bit) than the 63, but looking at the performance numbers side by side from a standstill up to 120 mph they're VERY similar (.1 seconds either way).

Also, Mercedes stopped making the 55 in '06. If you saw an '07 it was definitely a 63. I've always operated with the school of thought that I should purchase the newest car with the lowest miles that I can afford. Also, every CPO'd '07 should still have a decent chunk of warranty coverage left. An '06 may have a couple months, if that, remaining.

EDIT: I just saw your comment about 100k miles and I remember reading that thread and just rolling my eyes. There's no reason that this car (or any modern day car for that matter) shouldn't easily surpass this amount of mileage with nothing more than basic maintenance. There's A TON of guys in the AMG Private Lounge forum that are well over 100k miles on their AMG's and they claim they're just as strong as the day they were delivered new.

Depending on your driving style, tires and fuel can kill you. Most of my miles are highway where I'm averaging about 18 mpg's in my CLS63, but I can comfortably get 22-23 on long highway trips at 75 mph. Some have reported needing new rear tires every 10k miles (about $1k total) and fronts about every 18-20k miles. Brakes are very expensive too, but it's all relative. My car will never see the track and law enforcement around here makes it tough to have more than a couple short spirited runs every once in a while, so I fully expect some of these wear items will be replaced much less frequently than most.

Good luck and be sure to post pics once you pull the trigger!! :)

Thanks for the reply. After doing some looking around on the forum I have seen this mentioned in a couple of spots. Seems the already blown engine is more receptical to further engine modding.

I do find it interestng that the new 63 puts out significanlty less torque than the 55 though. I have not seen a torque curve for either engine but would assume the 55 has more area under the curve and would explain why it is claimed to be quicker than the 63. Just saw an 07 55 with 21K for 40K but can't find it anymore, think it was even white with cashmere intterior I;ll keep looking for it.

I would like to find one that is still under factory warranty so I could get the extended warranty (would not be modding for some time)

I also ran across a thread where people were going to be very happy if they get 100K miles out of their car before it started needing major fixing (and not to the engine, just other things). I find this very sad for a $100K car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that info sounds correct about the engine. I'm not an engine mod kinda guy, but honestly both cars are 'stupid fast' and I'd have a hard time believing that you wouldn't be satisfied with the power in both. The 55 has a bit more low end grunt (just a bit) than the 63, but looking at the performance numbers side by side from a standstill up to 120 mph they're VERY similar (.1 seconds either way).

Also, Mercedes stopped making the 55 in '06. If you saw an '07 it was definitely a 63. I've always operated with the school of thought that I should purchase the newest car with the lowest miles that I can afford. Also, every CPO'd '07 should still have a decent chunk of warranty coverage left. An '06 may have a couple months, if that, remaining.

EDIT: I just saw your comment about 100k miles and I remember reading that thread and just rolling my eyes. There's no reason that this car (or any modern day car for that matter) shouldn't easily surpass this amount of mileage with nothing more than basic maintenance. There's A TON of guys in the AMG Private Lounge forum that are well over 100k miles on their AMG's and they claim they're just as strong as the day they were delivered new.

Depending on your driving style, tires and fuel can kill you. Most of my miles are highway where I'm averaging about 18 mpg's in my CLS63, but I can comfortably get 22-23 on long highway trips at 75 mph. Some have reported needing new rear tires every 10k miles (about $1k total) and fronts about every 18-20k miles. Brakes are very expensive too, but it's all relative. My car will never see the track and law enforcement around here makes it tough to have more than a couple short spirited runs every once in a while, so I fully expect some of these wear items will be replaced much less frequently than most.

Good luck and be sure to post pics once you pull the trigger!! :)
Ya, I tried to edit the year I posted but no go. I have been looking at so many cars on Autotrader and Cars.com I can't keep them straight. I am looking to buy next spring. For now I am just trying to learn as much as I can about the CLS AMG's, good and bad. I have been on the fence about what I really wanted. The choice is between an 08 Z06 Vette or the CLS AMG. The Vette is by far a better sports car as far as its capabilities but it has neither the class or comforts of the CLS and at my age I have no need to keep banging my head on the side window as I go around the corners. I am not real big into cornering but just love straight line acceleration. I currently have a LS460 and the wife drives a GS350 AWD (both Lexus) I have owned Toyota/Lexus my whole life and have come used to their quality and reliability. MB scares me as far as their reliability and cost of repair. The CLS would be my toy car, not a daily driver so if it breaks I can fix it when I can afford it.

$1K for wheels? I assume this is just for the back ones, Yikes, I burn through rubber on my bike in about 7K, and I am sur the CLS would be know differant. Why are the breaks so expensive? You don't have to put the super high blacken your your rim pads on everytime do you? Are the pads and rotors specific to this car with no other choices?

As far as being satified with the power, I have found there is no such thing as too much. You don't have to use it all, but it is nice to know it is there if you need it. I have owned several sport bikes so until they make an affordable car that will out accelerate a GSXR 1300....... I think I will be happy with the CLS63. I think the cost of tires will keep me enjoying it all the time and it will just be a treat now and then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I have a 2007 CLS63 AMG for sale.
It is a 2007 CLS63 AMG with Designo Edition White/beige.P2 with Keyless-go. I-ipod connection. MSRP 110K(High MSRP).
It has 28k miles right now
It has been garage keep and hand wash every week or twice a week. Detail every 2 months.
That me know if you are interesting.

[email protected]

Ralph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts