Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430, 2006 LORINSER CLS500, 2001 Honda Accord Coupe, 2005 Yamaha R1 Raven
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I've been playing with the idea of putting a 55 AMG motor in my CLS500 for a while now. After visiting my friend Jake (mbworld: money-one) at the dealer here in Md, and seeing a 55 motor in his 1998 C42 W202, I was seriously inspired to do this to my CLS500. Just want to give many thanks to Jake and Rudy Compart (Accelerated Industries) for the hard work and dedication to making my idea a reality. :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Here is a pic of the motor when I picked it up in NY. Bought the motor from mbworld member fiftyflyve, and the motor was in good working condition just as he described it :y. Picked up the motor in my old 2000 Voyager mini van :rolf:

Got back to Md safely, then started the installation a week later. Took the original motor out, then cleaned up the 55 motor.

CLS500 with no motor:

Changed my oil pan by using the pan from the 5.0 motor. CLS55 has a different subframe.

Lowered the beast slowly into it's new home.

Motor was mounted and prepared for the intallation of belts, oil cooler lines, and heat exchanger hoses. Oil cooler lines are not cheap :eek:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Before I picked up the motor, I bought a used 150A Alternator and sent it out to Ohio Generator to beef it up and recondition it. It came back with a 234A rating.

After installing all lines it was time to do the SCN coding. Rudy Compart (Accelerated industries) flew out from Minnesota to take on the task :bow:

Installed the Heat Exchanger (which I want to upgrade ASAP), and oil cooler

Motor with everything installed and ready for a test run, which was successful.

Front bumper installed and motor swap completed :zoom:

Here is a video of the motor starting up:

Here is a video of a quick run. Notice the tail of the car swirve during the gear change from 1st to 2nd. Motor is strong and works great!!!

Thank you for reading my long thread. The car runs great, but the 7 speed tranny must be changed to the 5 speed. The ECU refused to code my transmission, and disabled ESP, which disabled my power steering. I will be working on taking care of these problems with the help of Rudy and Jake very soon. Overall, this project was a huge success, and I want to thank you guys once again for your help :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man that car is awesome. I live in MD too (Ft.Wash)and, well, I had the same car as you wht/red. I keep looking for you but haven't seen you on the road yet. I'm sure you'll be blowing by me at some incredible speed soon! Nice job!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man!! Did you get rid of the CLS?

Man that car is awesome. I live in MD too (Ft.Wash)and, well, I had the same car as you wht/red. I keep looking for you but haven't seen you on the road yet. I'm sure you'll be blowing by me at some incredible speed soon! Nice job!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,136 Posts
Great work Brent, congrats on the successful engine swap! I am very happy for you.
I see you have the headers, but do you have any plans to enhance performance further? Pulley, tune, heat exchanger, etc.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tech. I plan on doing TB, pulley, heat exchanger and tune.

Great work Brent, congrats on the successful engine swap! I am very happy for you.
I see you have the headers, but do you have any plans to enhance performance further? Pulley, tune, heat exchanger, etc.

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,136 Posts
Nice, hopefully I'll be installing my 82mm TB today.
Good luck and keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still have it and enjoying it. But I was referring to how much you've done to yours makes your car stand way out next to mine! Lol I'm usually cruising around town on the weekends. I'll have to post a pic of mine. Nothing fancy, I just added 20" wheels for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts