Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently acquired a set of staggered 18" wheels off of a 2006 cls500. i went to put them on my 05 c320 coupe and the lug bolts are too long and the lug bolts off of the cls are too big. can anybody point me in the right direction to what size or what car i need to get lug bolts from and if the wheels have any issues rubbing and if i need spacers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey did you manage to figure out what was needed for your CLS wheels on your C320? I'm considering buying 2006 CLS wheels to install on my 2002 C320. I've been told, based on a convenient chart listing wheel offsets for each car, that some relatively thin spacers are needed. That may solve your lug nut problem too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey did you manage to figure out what was needed for your CLS wheels on your C320? I'm considering buying 2006 CLS wheels to install on my 2002 C320. I've been told, based on a convenient chart listing wheel offsets for each car, that some relatively thin spacers are needed. That may solve your lug nut problem too.
I found some short lug studs on ebay that had the correct seat type and thread pitch. They were relatively inexpensive but I had to cut an 1/8th inch off the end only in the rear so they wouldn't rub the inside of the hub/ rear parking brake assembly. I have no rubbing issues front or rear with the wider wheels and tires but my C320 is the coupe/hatch back. Not sure if yours is a sedan or if there is difference in suspension/wheel well space. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah that is helpful, thanks for the quick response! I wasn't even considering the lug nuts as an issue. Did you use spacers at all? Or just direct bolt on? I wonder if I use spacers to match the exact offset if the lugs will not need any trimming. Do the wheels seem heavier/slower/effect mileage? What size tires are you running? I doubt there's too much of a difference in the wheel well space between your car and mine, but if there is, I bet the sedan has more space if anything. From that small pic, it seems like they look great! Have any bigger pics? I think I'm going to go for it and buy them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that is helpful, thanks for the quick response! I wasn't even considering the lug nuts as an issue. Did you use spacers at all? Or just direct bolt on? I wonder if I use spacers to match the exact offset if the lugs will not need any trimming. Do the wheels seem heavier/slower/effect mileage? What size tires are you running? I doubt there's too much of a difference in the wheel well space between your car and mine, but if there is, I bet the sedan has more space if anything. From that small pic, it seems like they look great! Have any bigger pics? I think I'm going to go for it and buy them.
When i first got the wheels I was in too much of a hurry to wait to install them so I used the lug studs I purchased and immediately I realized the studs were too long (rubbed the inside of the hub) and bought some 2mm spacers from advance auto parts, but when I would go over bumps or humps in the road the outside of the tire would rub the inside fender well. No damage occurred but it was just enough to make a noise which was rather annoying. I was lazy for a while and just left it alone but finally got tired of the rubbing so that's when I trimmed down the studs and no more rubbing in the wheel well or the inside of the hub. I run a 245/40r18 front and rear. The rear tires are stretched a little bit (which helps with the fitment) but not enough to look like a ricer. The tires that come on the wheels are 255/45r18 which rubbed terribly. Over all I am very pleased with the aesthetics and have not noticed a difference in fuel mileage or weight. Below is the link for more pics of the car.

Benz Photos by slidin240sx | Photobucket

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah they definitely look great! So the 255/45s rubbed in the back? With or without the spacers? Sorry I'm a little confused. There's another guy with a C320 that is using these CLS wheels with 3mm spacers in front, 225/45 and no spacers in back 255/35, with some specific lugs he bought. Says it's working perfect, no rubbing. With the wheels I'm buying are two new 245/45s but I was thinking that was too wide and could rub on front, and maybe a little stretched on back, but sounds like they're working both ways for you. Guess I will have to decide whether to use them on the front or back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Sorry for the confusion. The fronts came with 245/40r18 so I left those alone. The rears came with 255/45r18 and rubbed the fender well when going over bumps or going hard into turns with the spacers but when I removed the spacers they did not rub but looked a little monster trucky to me. (see image below). 255/35 will probably work in the rear without spacers because the tire is shorter therefore creating that clearance you need to avoid rubbing. The wheels I have are 9 inches wide in the front and 9.5 inches wide in the rear with different offsets so if the wheels you are getting are the same you will be running different offsets (staggered fitment) and will not be able to put the rear wheels on the front of your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts