Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 2008 CLS 550 and now own a 2010 CLS 550. Both cars had brake squeeking and heavy dust build-up issues. Mercedes says this is normal. I was real tired of cleaning my rims every day and hearing my brakes squeeking all the time (embarrassing for an $80k car). I spent $400 on ceramic brakes...best investment! Rims stay clean and brakes NEVER squeek! Wanted to share this with you guys!

·
Registered
2009 Audi S5 4.2L 2006 Mercedes CLS 500
121 Posts
I spent $400 on ceramic brakes...best investment! Rims stay clean and brakes NEVER squeek!
Hi,
Thanks for sharing. How is the breaking power after changing to ceramic pads?

Did you change rotors as well or just the pads? This is important if you are considering a solution for squeaking breaks on MBs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
CLS 550
888 Posts
Seems like we all have brake-squeaking issues. Aren't ceramic's most commonly used in F1 race cars and high-end sports cars? Has to be a great solution to the issue. I too would like to know how the braking power has differed from stock to ceramic's.

·
Registered
CLS 550
888 Posts
Oh it will BBZLC lol. The other day after just merging onto the highway next to two other MB's (one was a new-body SL 550 and the other a new-body C300) we all got stopped at the red light about 200 yards after the merge lane. I was in the far right lane, in the middle was the SL and left was obviously the C300. As we all were braking for the light all that could be heard was a symphony of squeaking brakes coming from the three MB's at the front of each lane. Probably the nicest three cars in the immediate area all making the terrible nail-on-chalkboard sound all the way to the light. It was kind of funny, thought I'd share, but it made me think the issue is prevalent enough that MB should somehow address it. To pay this kind of money for a car and to have it squeaking as you brake for valet parking or through a drive-thru - or any place for that matter where people can hear you coming lol - it absurd. Personal opinion..

·
Registered
2008 CLS-550
4 Posts
Did anyone advise which ceramic pads you used? Also, did you change the rotors at the same time or have them turned?
I've had and e-350 and now a CLS 550, I researched the brake job on the 350 and everyone I spoke with said it is not recommended to turn any MB rotor. From a practical standpoint? I bought two new rotors. hint: ceramic pads

1 - 12 of 12 Posts