Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'83 300D, hopefully a Mog soon...
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the subject line says, I'm seriously considering a Mog- a friend has a Doka camper that he's willing to sell to me for an embarrassingly low price.
I don't have details from him yet, but I know it's diesel,pretty sure it's a '74 416.
My wife and I are going to be packing up our stuff and spending a year on the road, seeing wild places in North (and hopefully South) America.
Any major problems I should be aware of? Achilles' Heel sort of stuff? This is really far off from what I've been looking for in an expedition vehicle, but I've always lusted after Mogs, and I can't pass up a deal this good without serious consideration.
Thanks for any input, I'll also keep up my research here and in other places!
BTW, is there anyone in the area (South Central Tx) that might be willing to let me drive theirs?

Carlos

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,315 Posts
Visit Bill Caid's web site and look at his trips and his maintainence and repair sagas. He has the most extensive travel history of any Mog owner who you will have access to (he can be contacted on the Unimog Discussion board) and has one of the most refined expedition Mogs. I think at the conclusion of that review you will want a Mog even more than you do now, but you may consider a series of shorter trips as opposed to the "year on the road" expedition.

Bill Caid Home Page (1&1)

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,404 Posts
Any major problems I should be aware of?
Related to 416's - seeing you may take off cross country in it:

A#1 issue - Be sure the portal boxes are in good shape. Hard to be 100% sure without breaking them down, but at least look at the oil in them (ALL 4 of them). Any metal particles or water in the oil should be reason for concern. DRIVE the truck at high speed for a distance and then CHECK the portal box temperatures - if one or more are hotter then, say, 120 degrees F (not an exact number), be concerned. Check the temp of the casting inboard, outboard readings will be effected by brakes heating the hub assembly.

Do the same lube check on the diffs and transmission - look for metal pieces or parts of gear teeth. CHECK the temperature of the trans housing near the output shafts that might warn of bearing problems.

If the engine starts right up and idles at 700-800 RPM after warming up, without major smoke and if it pulls well in 4-5-6 gears all the way to the IP limiter, you're probably OK in the motor department. Look at the oil and coolant to make sure both are ONLY where they are supposed to be. At normal air temperature, you should never be able to hold coolant temp above 80-85C when idling. If it stays high at idle, you may have a radiator or coolant problem that could manifest itself in big ways crawling through the desert.

Pretty much everything else is cosmetic. Locker failures or fail-to-function can be a PITA but will not leave you stranded in BFE. Same with MOST electrical issues.

Good Luck Pilgrim !

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
915 Posts
Just to add to the last comments... while checking the oil reservoirs mentioned, take note if any are greatly OVER full. This would suggest a bad oil seal "up stream".

·
Registered
'83 300D, hopefully a Mog soon...
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the great responses!
@wilson1010- That's a great site! We're definitely going to do a few long weekend- week long trips before the big one.
@Mogasaurus & burqueDOKA- That's some good info on what I need to look for!
I hope to give the old girl a thorough going-through around June 1 when we're in San Diego again. this stuff is definitely going on my punch sheet! If all checks out, I'll be driving it back to San Antonio for a shakedown run.

Carlos

·
Registered
1984 Unimog 406
6 Posts
Carlos,
I sent you a PM with my number. I'm in San Antonio and own a 406. You're welcome to take a look at it anytime.
Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts