Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way to work this morning and the car in front of me slammed on his brakes. I knew I could stop, the SLK brakes have been good to me so far... but I wasn't sure if the guy behind me on the motorcycle could stop in time... so when I stopped, I went onto the shoulder to give the guy some extra stopping room.
It's a good thing I did. I bunch of burnt rubber later, and I see the motorcycle sliding by my driver's door on it's side. Without the rider.

4 of us got out of our cars to make sure he was ok, and helped him pick up his bike. He was ok.

I keep thinking about how much worse things could have been... had he slid under the SLK, or ended up going over the SLK.

All in the daily commute. UGH!

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
178 Posts
That is so funny, in the past 2.5 yeears of SLK ownership I have never felt like I was going to run into someone. But I am constantly looking in my rearview mirror to back sure the drivers behind me stop in time.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Ever since my close call of someone rear ending me while I was waiting to turn I constantly check my rearview mirror when I am slowing or stopped.

Glad to hear you were able to avoid an accident.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Well, I've BEEN rear ended, and it definitely svcks [:(]

I also tend to look nervously behind me if I have to break harder then usual. Pain in the ass when you can't count on your fellow citizens to keep their distance from you [:(!]

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
This actually happened 3 days ago in the town where i live. Some guy stopped at a pedestrian crossing, and the guy on the bike behind didn't stop. Bike went under the car, rider went over. It was the bikers fault, he was riding far to fast in a built up area, being a complete idiot, and paid the price. Hopefully he survived to tell the tale.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with you guys... It only takes being rear-ended once before you start watching everyone in the mirror from that point forward.

People really do have a tendancy to tailgate. I had another guy on the way to work yesterday who was on my bumper in the slow lane, trying to push me up the road. I was already going 15 MPH over the speed limit. Did I say... IN THE SLOW LANE. Geez!

It's a jungle out there.

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230
144 Posts
I was once stuck in traffic on a downhill stretch
of road. The lights ahead were red and I had cars
both left and right from me.

I looked in my rear mirror and saw a Toyota Camry
screaming down the road with a lady in her 60s
driving. She saw the banked up cars late and hit the
breaks hard. I watched her in the mirror as if it was
slow motion. It was quite surreal. I had no where
to go so all I could do was wait.

She locked it up and her car comes about 25 metres
to a halt. There was smoke everywhere from her
tyres and pads. Fortunately, she didn't hit.
Once the smoke cleared, I looked back and she
was in shock!

I often wondered if you have enough time in those
situations to react and change lanes if necessary.
Having everything go past you in slow motion
certainly makes me thing there is opportunity to
do so.

Hopefully I'll never have to test my hypothosis.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
First accident i had - driving rental in Morocco - stooped behind a big truck on a red light, truck's door opens, passenger looking out guides while truck driver backs up - straight into my car... i was on a horn all time.... I wasn't even pissed...i was in a shock... So as a cop how was standing on a side of the steer and saw the whole thing...

·
Registered
'99 230
17 Posts
Got my 230k a few weeks ago. First time it's sunny enough to have the top down over here in limey land and I'm just cruising around for cruising sake.
Soaking up the sun, feeling great and slowly driving around, enjoying my first convertible.
Get to a roundabout, the car in front gets its turn to go and I start to watch the traffic for my go. Theres a car on the inside of me at the junction so I'm watching for them to go, because then I am definitely safe with their car between me and any on-coming traffic.
They start to pull away so I begin to as well.
Look forward to see that the car I thought had gone was still there and stationary.
Hit the brakes hard but still went into the back of him.
We both pull over out the way of traffic and I get out of the car with an look of un-belief on my face.
Go the front of the car fearing what I'm going to see, and thank the lord above I've just got a very slight bit of scuffing (unnoticeable unless you know it's there) and the number plate has been cracked in the middle. His car has a slight bit of scuffing on the rear bumper as well.

Now I'm not violent unless really provoked beyond any reasonable amount, and would never ever start anything, but I do have a look that friends say makes me 'someone you just don't mess with'. I very casually explain that I couldn't grasp why he hadn't gone ages ago when he had at least 2 chances to, to which he had no real answer. I think the answer was he was just a crap driver, but that has no bearing on the real fact that I hit the back of him, so I am at fault whatever happens.

We exchanged details but I haven't heard anything and don't think I will now. But that was about the closet call I ever want to have in my lovely new car.

·
Registered
2003 MB SLK 320
35 Posts
seems like the world needs brakes like us SLK drivers have :)

I have had my car for about 3 months and the area I live in is growing by leaps and bound which means the small two lane roads are getting crammed with traffic.

I had to stop to make a left turn on to my street and the road I am on is a 45 MPH zone but most people do 60 as their is no police to enforce, funny cosidering their are 3 police officer in the tiny 60 house area I live in, anyways I had to go to a stop as oncoming traffic would not allow me to turn. No big deal just an extra minute when out of my rear view mirror I see this pickup truck coming right at me with no slowing down at all!

I did not want to do anything as I was worried if I moved I might get partial blame so I resigned myself to being rear-ended (this all took place in about 3 seconds) and then the guy realizes I am not moving (maybe the left turn signal gave it away?) and then at the last moment put himself in a ditch to the right of me ( I guess he figured it was cheaper than rear-ending a MB convertable?) I just looked at him like he was crazy and then made my turn and went home.

I am just glad that my car was okay as I just got it and it would suck if it got totally wrekced within 3 months.

Elias

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Sometimes it isn't the brakes that get you in trouble.

A number of years back, I was sitting at a red light around midnight. I noticed some lights in my rear view mirror, but they didn't seem to be slowing down. A pickup truck slammed into me without even attempting to stop.

I was hit by a EMT (emergency medical tech), who had just got off work after working 18 hours. He just didn't see me!

At least I didn't need to call for medical help!

Back then I didn't have a MB, just a Toyota Supra. It really took most of the impact, and my seats saved my back and neck.

Atlanta rush hour traffic is crazy, to say the least. I would never commute with my 32 in Atlanta. The car is strickly a pleasure car (better insurance rate too). I gave up fighting the rush hour traffic a couple of years back (I work computer contracts all over the country now), it just isn't worth the danger!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts