Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my two front passenger side doors replaced. I noticed today that the passenger door always uses the close assist feature whether i close the door hard or soft. While my drivers side will only use the close assist only when the door is slammed soft.
why is my passenger door always using the close assist, and not closing all the way when i slam it. Is this a door adjustment issue? Its also very hard to open. no matter how hard i slam my passenger side door, it wont close all the way, forcing the close assist to work. Thanks

·
Registered
w140 s300turbodiesel
238 Posts
Could be something wrong with your latching mechanism. But before jumping to conclusions compare booth doors where they meet the roofline, do the rubber seals on both doors meet the door frame the same way or is your passenger side door seal slightly off or maybe there's a gap between the seal and the door frame? Also looking from the front right headlight down the side of the car is the door flush to the front quarter panel and the rear door? Any rubbing marks on the passenger door sill? Also check whether the thick rubber seal that goes all the way around the door is seated properly.

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying Pos, everything looks good, and even when the door gets sucked in, it lines up perfect. However i cant slam it shut on my own, it must use the close assist like i explained above. If i slam it shut, the door stops 1/2" sticking out, then the close assist takes over.

Iam gonna play with the latch adjustment and see what happens from there. I plan on marking its original position just incase i need to go back to it.

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying Pos, everything looks good, and even when the door gets sucked in, it lines up perfect. However i cant slam it shut on my own, it must use the close assist like i explained above. If i slam it shut, the door stops 1/2" sticking out, then the close assist takes over.

Iam gonna play with the latch adjustment and see what happens from there. I plan on marking its original position just incase i need to go back to it.

·
Registered
w140 s300turbodiesel
238 Posts
one more thing to bear in mind though: it is very difficult to close either front door without engaging close assist due to pressure in the cabin. I find it very difficult whilst being seated in the driver seat to close the door shut, without close assist. So it could be that your passenger side is actually ok but your drivers side is knackered in some way...just a thought...check the seals perhaps?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts