Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
slk 200 kompressor
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you identify that the slk you want to buy has the original miles that are written in the odometer?If somebody has turned back miles,is there any electronic memory that you can check and find out?

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
It is not very easy to turn back the miles. I am sure the mileage is logged somplace in the ECU. Plus if they have had it serviced at the dealership there will be a record of the mileage everytime it was brought in. It would be kind of tough to explain 35k miles one visit and on 18k miles the next time you brought it in.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
That is one of the main things CarFax will tell you. It often times has service entries as well as registration changes. Most entries have a mileage associated with them so it should be easy to see if the odometer has been tampered with.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
yannismd - 4/19/2005 1:25 AM

How can you identify that the slk you want to buy has the original miles that are written in the odometer?If somebody has turned back miles,is there any electronic memory that you can check and find out?
I have seen some low distance cars that look like wrecks and some Autobahn cars that look like new. I dont know if you pay more for distance or how the owner treated it.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
After a certain amount of time too few miles can actually be worse than too many miles. You begin to have issues with gaskets, and crap building up in the engine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Kirill - 4/19/2005 10:39 AM

carfax is useless in Greece
The location Kirill that you are registered under your username says "Lake In The Hills,IL" --- perhaps that's why the other member was mislead?

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
The location Kirill that you are registered under your username says "Lake In The Hills,IL" --- perhaps that's why the other member was mislead?
That's true - I am in Lake in the hills,IL, the guy who posted the question is in Greece - it says so in location. It just a reminder that we should just assume everybody on this forum is from US.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Kirill - 4/19/2005 11:43 PM
That's true - I am in Lake in the hills,IL, the guy who posted the question is in Greece - it says so in location. It just a reminder that we should just assume everybody on this forum is from US.
One of the things that makes the internet and boards like this a wonderful place is that you get a perspective from people all over the world. You can interact with people you would not normally come in contact with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts