Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, 1986 560SL
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the clock and the tachometer in my 560SL are not working. I am trying to determine if the module is bad on the cluster or if there is a fuse or ground problem preventing them from working. 40K miles on the car. What are the odds that they are both broken?

Is the tach/clock module the same on the 560SL as the 380SL? I could try and swap them.

I have swapped out all the fuses, but it never hurts to know where things are connected. I am trying to figure out if Fuse 5 or Fuse 12 provides power to it. My glove light is working and the turn signals are working. So I am thinking that the fuses are fine. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
90 Posts
I having the same issue with my 560SL. The tach works but pegs over past 7k RPM and the clock and the radio don't work. In my 88 the clock and radio fuse is #15 which BTW is discovered is missing.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, 1986 560SL
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I having the same issue with my 560SL. The tach works but pegs over past 7k RPM and the clock and the radio don't work. In my 88 the clock and radio fuse is #15 which BTW is discovered is missing.
I think my problem is different. I get no reading from the Tach or movement from the clock. My radio seems to be working.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
90 Posts
I think my problem is different. I get no reading from the Tach or movement from the clock. My radio seems to be working.
Yep, I'm think my tach issue is somehow related to the ignition module. Is that where the Tach connects to?

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,151 Posts
Guys suggest you start with the simple stuff and then work your way up the chain. Pull the steering wheel and then the instrument cluster...cluster is friction fit. While the cluster is out clean ALL the contacts in the back. Add a ground wire (or two). Nobby did a great write up on that...do a search. Reconnect everything and then let us know the results.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, 1986 560SL
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys suggest you start with the simple stuff and then work your way up the chain. Pull the steering wheel and then the instrument cluster...cluster is friction fit. While the cluster is out clean ALL the contacts in the back. Add a ground wire (or two). Nobby did a great write up on that...do a search. Reconnect everything and then let us know the results.
Sure, I will need to pull the cluster to clean it up anyway.

I was just wondering if there is a common ground or other explanation for the issue. I did the extra grounding on the cluster of my 380SL when I had jumpy needles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts