Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210) Currently 11,000 Miles
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the clock does not work on my 420SEL, I checked on eBay and see that I can get a complete W126 gauge cluster... having not seen the back of a cluster, can the clock be removed easily and re-installed into my cluster, or is it best to simply replace the entire cluster?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
The clock itself does not have to be removed at all, actually, in most cases because it may just need to be re-soldered or a new capacitor soldered in place of the old. I think this is the way it is setup, or it may just be my W123 mindset taking over.

Swapping the entire cluster may be easier, but it's considerably more expensive. Swapping just the clock can take care of the issue as well, and then there would be no messing about with a soldering iron.

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
The gauge units are basically 'pod' each containing the several gauges within that pod.

There are several good write ups and some great descriptive pix from AxelWullf if you search.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I bought my 83 300SD last year the clock didn't work. I bought an entire cluster on ebay for $15 plus shipping. It was from an SE or SEL, don't remember which and several years newer. I just pulled the clock out of the cluster and replaced it in my SD cluster and it has been running perfectly. Quick, cheap fix with a little risk.

Steve
300SD 83,000 miles

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210) Currently 11,000 Miles
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought my 83 300SD last year the clock didn't work. I bought an entire cluster on ebay for $15 plus shipping. It was from an SE or SEL, don't remember which and several years newer. I just pulled the clock out of the cluster and replaced it in my SD cluster and it has been running perfectly. Quick, cheap fix with a little risk.

Steve
300SD 83,000 miles
I've thought about doing the same thing; any step-by-step instructions you could share? I don't want to pull the cluster if I'm not able to change out the clock...

Thank you,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts