Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a long history with Audi Quattros, and before that, Saabs. My new clk cab is due in this weekend, and I'm considering using this as my everyday car this winter. Assuming I put four decent snow tires on the car, how well does the traction control system work in snow and/or ice conditions? I could use my wife's SUV on the worst days, but am I just asking too much of the CLK to be an everyday winter commuter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm planning on leaving the CLK in the garage...

I have a '90 Saab 900 SPG that, with snow tires, is great on snow and ice (you can't beat front wheel drive). I also own a '98 MB E320 that is terrible in the snow, even with snows. I driven it through two winters and can testify that the ASP and ESP systems work only in low speed situations and DO NOT work on black ice (despite what the dealer says). I'm trading the E320 in for a '02 CLK 430 in 2 days - I expect that given the CLK's bigger engine and lighter weight, it's performance on snow, ice (and maybe rain) will be even worse. I'm hoping for lots of sunny days (unlikely here in Cleveland!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem in Ohio snow

Live in Cleveland and drive a 01 CLK 320 cab.Used it last winter in the snow without any problems. It actually drives pretty well .I have no snow tires, just the stock tires and rims. The insulation from the hood is similar to a hard top. I plan to use it through the next winter, so unless you need a 'Zaboni'..(Hope right spelling) where you are located, and you don't have a 430 with performance tires, you should be fine.<br> <br> ADE!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts