Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. My front tires are both wearing off the outside tread much more aggressively than the rest of the tire. I noticed it at about 10K miles and took it into the dealer. The pressure was right on the money and they said that while it was wearing more on the outside it was within spec at the middle of each tread run. When I call my local performance tire shop they told me that every 430 and 55 that they have ever seen has been out of alignment. He also said that they routinely have to set the camber of the front wheels at a negative camber to even the wear. Any thoughts? With all of the tire spinning I never thought I would have to replace the fronts before the rears. Michelin tires

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It has nothing to do with alignment (providing your car is aligned...)

Anyone who drives a CLK relatively hard will have abnormal wear on the outside of the tires. There is no fix, but a few ways to prolong the life. <br> 1. Run all your tires at 36 PSI (compared to 31 front).<br> 2. Rotate your tires (side to side, not front to back).<br> <br> Because the tires wear bad, if you complain enough to the right dealer, you will get 1 new set of tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tire wear you are talking about comes from cornering hard! If you have directional tires you can not switch sides! If they are Michelin Pilot Sports they are directional.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most tires are wear from the inside because the factory set the camber negative for better..........

<br> handling but your, look like you have positive camber. you should set it to a little negative camber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: but you can switch the fronts for each other and the rears for each other, GB.

I can't imagine anyone risking damaging a wheel to dismount and remount a tire because of rounding of the corners of the tires. Once a tire gets in a wear pattern there is no way of stopping it,only slowing it down.The post read like all you had to do is take one wheel on the front and swap it with the other wheel on the front which is not so! I didn't want Scp55 to make a mistake and do this. Sorry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you really think it's that hard to change a tire.. "risk a whee." Get over it.

All work done in MB shops is warrantied, so if they damage it they would replace/fix it anyways. But seriously, taking your tire off and putting it on another wheel is not that difficult. Your wheels didn't come with tires on them, someone had to put them there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a camber issue, it's a clk issue. The clk is front heavy, and so it wears the sides

when you drive hard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Do you really think it's that hard to change a tire..

I forgot you are the one that sits in on place melting your tires while holding the brake. I did that with my parents car when I was 16. So burn another set off and tell us it's no big deel to change the tires. I bet the Mercedes service manager runs when he sees you, thinking what are you going to want for free. I am sure you have somthing else to say.I have nothing to say but when you are in North Carolina and a black CLK55 blows the doors off your 430 go back home and burn some more rubber off to build your ego back up. Discussion closed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts