Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've a 2004, CLK55 with 95k miles, I'm going to be selling it at some point in the next 3 months due to a need for something more sensible.

Last week the brake replacement light came on and sure enough the place I took it said there was only about 1k of driving left on it.

Are there any solutions that would help me get another 3/5k miles out of it to drive safely and sell rather than investing 4 figure sums now, just when I least want to spend money on it?

I think the cross drilled rotors are the big cost- could I just get new pads and sensors? how much should that cost in LA?

I don't want to do anything unsafe or that's going to create problems for the next owner.

Thanks
Tom

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
If it needs new pads and rotors, there's not much you can do that would be safe other than replace them. It sounds like DIY is not an option? Maybe you could find a friend with some mechanical skills to help you. You should be able to replace the brakes all around for well under 4-figures, maybe even under $500 (plus a six-pack for the friend, of course).

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Hi,
Last week the brake replacement light came on and sure enough the place I took it said there was only about 1k of driving left on it.
Tom - the brake wear warning light on your Instrument display simply warns that the pads (either front/rear) are nearly gone. It says nothing about wear on the rotors. Your mechanic would have removed a wheel (or two) and taken a peek the visible area of the brake pads to confirm the alarm display. To fully check the rotor condition he would have had to get a caliper gage (micrometer) on the rotor surface to check for minimum thickness of metal and possible cracks between holes. I wonder if he did that?

So you may not need a total pad & rotor changeout - you may get away with just changing the pads - if the rotors are still within specification. I can supply the thickness numbers if required.

Please add your profile with model/year/location, as this often helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, as you can clearly see I don't know that much about cars.

I took the car to get a general quick check and while it was raised up to check for any other problems they looked at the rotors quickly ( they did not removed any wheels, let alone measure anything) as part of this they said they could "probably just put on some new pads" for a bit and replace the sensors.

I think the cost they quoted for this was $200 - does that sound fair?

another place mentioned the same for $600? !

Have added some more details to profile.
Thanks for your help.
Tom

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I have no idea of US labor costs.... but $200 is too low. The parts will cost more than that for 4 wheels.

Prices quoted on Parts.com for your 2004 CLK 55 are:

a) front pads (pair) = $72. dealer cost = $100. x2 for both front wheels.
b) rear pads (pair) = $57. dealer cost = $80, x2 for both rear wheels.

I would expect a decent tech could change each wheel's brake pads in 15 minutes each. Use a reliable Inde. You don't want to trust your life to a cowboy....

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
Yes, $200 is too low. That's generally just he per-axle labor charge - parts would be extra. The prices Keyhole quoted are for OEM pads. It's probably use aftermarket parts which would be better (less dust) and cheaper. Still, I'd be surprised if you coudl get all the pads replaced by a mechanic for less than $600 which to me, after doing literally hundreds of DIY brake jobs, is still highway robbery. I can replace the pads on most any car in less than a couple of hours in my garage with a floor jack. A trained mechanic with a good lift and proper sop tools should be able to beat that easily. It's too bad you live so far away - I'd help you do it for the lowly price of a bottle of Johnnie Walker. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts