Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 E550 4Matic
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found an incredible deal on a 2002 Black/Black CLK55. My question is this: How is winter performance? Do I need snow tires? Does anybody have any experience with this car in the snow?

Thanks for the help!!
Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you know what tires come with the car? If it is the Continentals, you will definitely need new tires. On my car I got another set of wheels specifically for snow where I have the AMG monoblock wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks (I think they are the LMs but not sure off hand). Check with Tire Rack...http://www.tirerack.com for more information.

To answer your question, I definitely recommend either changing tires or having a spare set of wheels with snow tires only. The Blizzaks are actually decent in the dry too but you won't find any tire made for snow with the same dry handling capabilities with the possibly exception of the Michelin AS Sport which I am trying out now though I haven't seen any snow here yet.

Good Luck! JP

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in chicago too

I only wish I could afford a 55. I have a 320. Chicago winters; salt, ice, rain, wind,snow. My 320 is squirrelly enough on wet roads. Without the traction control it would be a death sentence. I can only imagine how much better over 110 more horsepower would behave. My car is parked as soon as I see the first hint of salt. Great in the summer though, and a looker too [:)]

·
Registered
2013 E550 4Matic
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks for the help! I picked up my new MB today and I am in love! Per your advice, I have ordered a set of Blizzak LM22's. (It is the only Blizzak that will fit the rims).

JDK

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
I want to trade for a 55 but no one wants a 430...

as for snow i dont think it will ...

I want to trade for a 55 but no one wants a 430...

as for snow i dont think it will go.. mine sucks in the rain and it has like 100 hp less. but then again i have 19's and lowered suspension

·
Registered
CL600
28 Posts
I have found an incredible deal on a 2002 Black/Black CLK55. My question is this: How is winter performance? Do I need snow tires? Does anybody have any experience with this car in the snow?
Forget it! You'll need a trunkfull of sandbags and snows on the rears, turn off ASR and switch to "W" mode. I tried to get out this past week in NY (we got 6-7") and coudn't even get out the driveway in packed snow.

[xx(]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts