Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

This is what is happening to me. I own a 500CLK 2004 convertible since 2010 (100K mile).

Last week, the car suddendly refused to start when I turned the key. No noise, no nothing. After investigation, Mercedes Miami told me a control unit has to be changed for $2500... I didn't change it and for one week, I managed to start the car by installing a switch connected directly on the starter (through the fuse box).

Worked fine for one week.

Then one morning, I started the engine, put the gear lever on R, moved the car, then put it on D, moved the car again until the gate and THEN when I reaccelerated the car refused to move (check engine light went ON).

So, back to the workshop, a small one specialized in Mercedes, in Miami (not Mercedes Miami...).

I'm posting below what came out. A couple of error codes. The guy tried to change the TCU and was able to drive a couple of blocks, then the car stopped moving again.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO and need your experience and opinion.

Do I change the transmission + converter? ($4800)
Just the converter ? ($2000)

Or... do I TRASH the car???...... :(

Really, I need your help! :crybaby2:
THANKS

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I cant see all the codes in the etc but you may only need a conductor plate on the top of the valve body. It has all the speed sensors in it. If one is failing it will cause the trans to go into limp home mode. If any of those other codes have to do with any of the speed sensors in the trans then I would take a hard look at that. Has anyone dropped the pan yet to inspect for metal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@saaduk: nope he didn't check the oil line. Actually, he did not open yet the transmission.

@MBST: that should be an explanation, yes! My car is having a weird attitude for the last 2 weeks. First that key issue, then engine didn't respond one or two time when I accelerated. I push the pedal but RPM did not went up. And now this gear box (BIG) issue.

MBST, nobody opened the transmission so far. So I don't know about the metal particules in the pan.

The conductor plate you are talking about is located into the transmission? Am I right?

Is that a common problem on the CLK500?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes it is in the transmission but isnt that difficult of a repair. The valve body has to come out and it is attached to the top of the valve body. This can also be the cause of your no start condition as well. The park/neutral switch is also part of the conductor plate. Its more common than the trans slipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the RECORDS, changing the connector plate INTO the gear box DID FIXE my ignition key / starter engine issue :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts