Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - what is a good tool to remove the plug wires from the plugs? On another car (VW) it was attached to the prop rod and made pulling the plug wires a breeze.

Second - what are the OEM plugs?

Have a 2000 with only 26K and I have to replace the plugs next weekend. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,292 Posts
just curious why are you changing at 26k?

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to MB's service quide plugs should be replaced at 100K or 5 years - whatever comes first. I should be ok but I'm trying to follow MB's guidelines. At two per cylinder its not exactly "cheap" to do but why risk it? The first group of plugs should be easy to replace, its the back set towards the firewall that have zero clearance. Have to get a tool to remove the plug connectors and I'm just looking for advice as to which one people use that works the best.

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,292 Posts
Yeah its an expensive task, especially if its done at the dealer (wont do that) but its been covered in an earlier thread, try searching and you should find what you need

·
Registered
2000 CLK430
26 Posts
Do a search. You'll find some good advice. I did mine 2 weeks ago. It is tougher than plugs should be.

2 Vital tools for getting the boots off. A 17mm open end wrench for prying them off against the head. Get this too: http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=934

Only about $22. Your local parts shop probably has them.

Make sure you pull off the coil packs. They're held on by a single torx bolt. Don't drop\lose the bolt. Frees up a TON of room. I didn't think i'd be able to do the drivers side back ones. It's not quite as hard as it looks.

When you put the boots back on the new plugs, make sure you hear the click. It can be as tough as getting them off.

Having several different extensions for your socket helps too. A u joint would be nice too, although i didnt use one.

Took me about 2 1/2 hours and 6 beers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
00 CLK 430
405 Posts
snakoiler - 4/9/2006 10:52 AM

Yeah its an expensive task, especially if its done at the dealer (wont do that) but its been covered in an earlier thread, try searching and you should find what you need
ya, dealer charges 2.5 hours just for labor, which is ~ $235........$419 for parts & labor. the service guy told me to stick with the OEM Bosch plugs and stay away from the iridiums......

·
Registered
E-Class, SLK
412 Posts
McGary911 said:
Do a search. You'll find some good advice. I did mine 2 weeks ago. It is tougher than plugs should be.

2 Vital tools for getting the boots off. A 17mm open end wrench for prying them off against the head. Get this too: http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=934 .....

Good luck.
It is impossible to use the Lisle 51750 tool to pull the cable boot that is next to the firewall on the driver side.

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Damn, it took me 1 hour to do 8 of the 16....so, I just dropped it off at the dealer to do the rest and they just charged me an hour to get to the ones in the rear. If you bring your own plugs, it could be worth it.

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
I dont know what dealer you all go to but mine wants more than a grand to do plugs and wires. I did it myself last year and it was a PITA! Guess how much the stealer charged me to change a fuse, 150 bucks!

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430
98 Posts
2000 Clk430

Guys..... don't change your plugs unless you have to!!!!!! There are a bitch to do and it's pricy. You got 26k on your car, don't waste your time. SNAP-ON makes a tool to pull the plugs out. I have it, but there's no part number. Just call them or look online.
Stick with Bosch!!!!! If you guys noticed when you pulled out your cpu. (for the "chip" and if you even got the chip) It's made by Bosch. The electrical system is Bosch friendly. Stick with Bosch platinums. Trust me, good luck!

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,036 Posts
A stealership with a heart? I called my semi-local dealership (the one actually in Sacto is the worst one - hands down) to get a price on plugs/wires.

Talking with the guy - told me not to waste my money or gas. Go to Autozone and get the OEM plugs. Wires don't need to be changed.

This guy was actually the one to go far out of his way and fax me diagrams of the back end when I was doing the stereo....

It amazes me how hard it is to find service like this. I should bring that guy a bottle of Ciroc with all the $$ he's saving me.

·
Registered
00 CLK 430
405 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,036 Posts
I was told they're the Bosch +4... $6.99 at Autozone or Napa Auto (don't know if you have either of those chain stores out there)

CLKChick - to answer your question... as I'm sure you know, normal spark plug wires are usually around 18-24" in length. The wires for our car are very short as they go from the coil packs just above the plugs. The guy at the dealership (and numerous other places I checked) stated that the wires just don't really go bad. Unless one is causing a misfire or obviously ruined in some way, it's just not really needed or worth the money.

·
Registered
99 CLK320 (Also Known as Sasha)
21 Posts
Great..I only asked because I need a tune-up right now..and the guy I'm dealing with said I "probably" need a wire set also. So if its not needed..that money can go elsewhere! Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts