Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 clk430
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a renew kit for my cloudy headlite and foglite lenses. It did its job on the outside but come to find out its the inside of the lenses that need cleaning. Help on how to clean the inside of the lenses. I can't figure out how to get to them. Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
Done restorations to dozens of headlights before and not had too many issues of cloudy interior surfaces. Does it look cloudy or like water is trying to evaporate out? If it is water trapped that is great! Just drill a TINY 1/16" hole in a place you can't see very good and it will fix itself.

As with the claims of a can that cures the issue; I would be very weary. I take sandpaper and gradually polish out the plastic til you never could tell it was even cloudy to begin with.

Need advice? Ask.

-ZRT

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
You can't remove the lenses unless you are willing to put forth a lot of carefull patient effort. They really are not designed for removal. I only know this because I broke one of my lenses and tried to order just the lense and could not find one so I bought a used headlight and literally had to dig the good lense out. I would have replaced the whole headlight but the asshole I bought it from didn't tell me he melted the inside with high intensity bulbs. Anyway, I digress; the lense sits in a channel held in place by a very dense, "almost" hard putty. If you heat it up with a hair dryer(don't use a heat gun or you will fry the lense)it is easier to work with and, if you can find the right tool, a tool that you find acceptable, you can pry it away from the lense and pull the lense out. With that said, you can remove the lense if you are patient then put it back and then carefully pack the putty back into place. It is a real PIA but it can be done.

·
Registered
2002 clk430
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Sounds too involved for me to try. looks like my lenses are going to stay cloudy.

·
Registered
2002 clk430
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like moisture some how got inside and you can see a water line as if 1 time they were fille up half way with water. its deffinately the inside of the damn lense (my luck) thats cloudy. Any easy ways of cleaning the inside of the dum lense would be appreciated but it sounds like a real pita to do. Thx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts