Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Whatever car has the gas in it
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving a CLK in the snow? Good idea?

I am looking to buy a 2005 CLK320. 50,000 Miles. Black/Black. Coupe. Lots of toys. Looking to go from a 4Matic to the CLK. This car wil be my DD so it may see some snow here and there. How are these in the snow? What kind of tires are best? I know to keep it in "W" Mode and it will be good. I need to know since I am going to look at her on Thursday.

Any information would be great.

·
Registered
Whatever car has the gas in it
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really haven't had problems in the snow. Just get some dedicated snow tires and you should be fine.

Sounds good. I have to look at the car on Thursday so we shall see.:)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Last winter, my CLK, without snowtires was hopeless in the snow.... I was getting stuck on the slightest gradient - until I turned ESP off.

Our winters in the south of the UK are not generally bad enough to justify a set of special tires, just for a couple of days of bad weather.

·
Registered
2002 CLK320; 2006 CLK350 Cabriolet; 2011 E350 Cab; 2014 E550 Cab
262 Posts
I had snow tires for my 2002 CLK, which I traded in on a 2006 CLK Cabriolet. The day I picked up the Cab, it was snowing. I had a hell of a time making it from the dealership to the town in which I live, all the time knowing that the car would probably not make it up the hill I live on. Sure as hell, I had to end up calling the dealership, who sent a tow truck to jack my car up and deliver it to my garage. The moment I got home, I went on-line to Tire Rack and did a search on snow tires and rims for the 2006. They came, via UPS, two days later and I've not had trouble since. I felt that ordering both the tires and rims would be better than the normal twice-yearly tire mounting/dismounting routine, that would have to be done at a tire store, by someone who was getting paid minimum wage. After all, the Mercedes rims are not cheap, and I wanted them to look good for the whole time that I owned the car. It was a very good decision.

JJ

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
I bought steel rims and am getting Bridgestone Blizzaks WS70 mounted on them this weekend, went with the the original 320 size tire (205/55/16) just to have the advantage of the narrower tire.

I've read a few controversial replies in regards to driving this car in the winter. All I can say is this: "It's no different than driving a 2WD pickup truck in the winter, just lighter so you can stop better". I'm from the North, I know (proof provided below, lol). :D It doesn't matter what you drive, being careful and aware is key, enjoy!

Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 GLK350W4, 2006 E350, 1968 250SL
250 Posts
A very common question. With good snow tires you'll be fine. Even here in Minnesota.

If you expect snow regularly, just get them, period. It's a perfectly driveable car with snows, without, it's a waste of time and not safe (or fun).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drove with 17'' winters last year and it was hopeless. This year going with a 16''.. Hoping it makes a difference with more rubber and clearance..

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes CLK 320 Cabriolet
3 Posts
Driving a clk in the snow

I am from New England. I have a CLK 320 cabriolet. it is terrible in the snow. I usually grage it for the winter but this winter I had to drive it. Worse time in my life.

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
I am from New England. I have a CLK 320 cabriolet. it is terrible in the snow. I usually grage it for the winter but this winter I had to drive it. Worse time in my life.

What kind of winter tires do you have on it? My experience has been very good with the CLK in the winter. Mind you here we get a lot of black ice and our snow usually comes in unwelcome heaps all at once lately. Then again, I was raised in this crud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
without snow tires, the car is useless in even 2 inches of snow. I have a clk 500 that still has summer tires on, it won't leave the garage at even the slighest chance of snow.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes CLK 320 Cabriolet
3 Posts
I don't have winter tires - I usually garaged the car because I had another with front wheel drive. not anymore. even if there is a little snow, it is terrible. I love my clk and have no intention of getting rid of it. But this is a problem.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't have winter tires - I usually garaged the car because I had another with front wheel drive. not anymore. even if there is a little snow, it is terrible. I love my clk and have no intention of getting rid of it. But this is a problem.
Yeah, without winter tires I can just imagine the "fun" you would have had driving it especially for an entire winter season. :O

We have all seasons on my wife's FWD and it's sketchy at best, especially being 225's the front end floats way too much on heavier snow and the car can become unpredictable when the front wheels spin. Top it off with an ass end that's too light and you have a very unbalanced setup. I should probably throw sandbags in the back of her trunk but it would be a PIA.

·
Registered
528 Posts
LOL, yeah it's pretty much to the point :)

As far as winter tires go all said and done I was at about $1300 for rims and tires here in Canada. Probably a bit cheaper in the states. One thing I noticed was it took a bit of driving to break-in the snow tires, like close to 2000KM and they keep getting better. At first they were precarious on ice now they are awesome. The argument goes back and forth all the time about AWD vs FWD vs RWD. Every single platform has it's pros and cons (I love rear wheel drive in the winter and overall) the most important part of winter driving is being able to stop and that all comes down to the tires, brakes and weight. Good tires are worth their weight in gold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts