Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 CLK 200 Kompressor
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I know that I'm probably not the first one here to bring that up, but I'd appreciate some opinions anyway.

I have a 1997 W208 CLK 200 Kompressor that has developed a misfiring issue. I got the car a few months ago with 182,000 km and has since put almost 4,000 km on it. At some point, I started noticing that the car visibly lacks power, chugs gas like crazy and simply stutters under load. There aren't any issues when driving it smoothly and giving it less than half a throttle, but if you try to punch it, it just starts dying after kick down or at around 3,000 RPM. I don't know how to explain it well, but basically the car just starts stuttering, hesitating, the RPMs jump up and down and the car starts engine braking. The engine sounds like it's coughing and there's an occasional backfire or bang in the exhaust, after which it sometimes starts revving and accelerating as it should.

I took it to my local mechanic, and so far we've done the following:

• Changed the oil and all filters, including the fuel one.
  • Checked if the fuel pump was working - the pressure at the engine was okay.
  • New spark plugs and ignition coils.
  • Checked the coil wiring - seemed okay.
  • Cleaned the MAF.
  • Cleaned the throttle body.
  • Cleaned the fuel injectors - the performance improved, but it still throws up the misfire error.
The diagnostic consistently shows the misfire on Cyl. 1 and 2, so I'm guessing it's probably not a compression issue? I also bought the car with the cats removed (not proud of that, I know), so I have some suspicions about the O2 sensor. As I'm writing this, my guy is looking more into the MAF and whether it actually works properly, as well as the wiring harness. I also noticed a few electronic quirks, so I have a bad feeling about the wiring - e.g. sometimes the electric seat controls work backward when the headlights are on; there is an electric humming/whistling noise coming from the speakers that intensifies with the throttle pressed.

Nevertheless, does anyone have any ideas about what else the problem could be? Or has experience with a similar issue?

The car is in overall really great condition - and I want to keep it that way!

Thank you in advance!

P.S. Pic for attention ?

·
Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
435 Posts
At a guess it might be the MAF. I'd fit a new (Bosch or Pierburg) one regardless - just the sensor, no need to buy the housing with sensor. There's a good chance the car is still fitted with the original MAF anyway. And even if it's not the MAF, a new one will eliminate one major possible common fault.

·
Registered
1997 CLK 200 Kompressor
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At a guess it might be the MAF. I'd fit a new (Bosch or Pierburg) one regardless - just the sensor, no need to buy the housing with sensor. There's a good chance the car is still fitted with the original MAF anyway. And even if it's not the MAF, a new one will eliminate one major possible common fault.
Thanks! Seems like the MAF was the reason, indeed. We swapped the old one (Bosch, original factory one I believe) for a Pierburg and the car runs like a charm now.

Hopefully, the misfiring is gone for good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts