Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little over 38k miles on my car and getting ready to buy a 3rd set of tires. I think the car came with Continental Pro Contact tires which were replaced @ 24.6k. They were replaced with Pirelli P Zero tires. Now at 38.4k I am looking at replacing the back tires because of wear. Front ones still look half way decent. I don't really care for the Pirelli's because they seem to follow every groove in the road and they didn't last very long.

95% of my driving is highway, back and forth to work.
What I am looking for:
all season tire
ride comfort
quiet
long lasting

I have always had good luck with Michelin on other cars that I have owned. Any one familiar with the Primacy™ MXM4 tires for this car?

I am really looking for recommendations from someone who has this model car, but feel free to chime in with your opinions.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
3 sets in 38.4k?

I have a little over 38k miles on my car and getting ready to buy a 3rd set of tires. I think the car came with Continental Pro Contact tires which were replaced @ 24.6k. They were replaced with Pirelli P Zero tires. Now at 38.4k I am looking at replacing the back tires because of wear. Front ones still look half way decent. I don't really care for the Pirelli's because they seem to follow every groove in the road and they didn't last very long.

95% of my driving is highway, back and forth to work.
What I am looking for:
all season tire
ride comfort
quiet
long lasting

I have always had good luck with Michelin on other cars that I have owned. Any one familiar with the Primacy™ MXM4 tires for this car?

I am really looking for recommendations from someone who has this model car, but feel free to chime in with your opinions.

thanks,
Mike

Seems like something is eating your tires...my 2008 CLK on original Continentals at 38k. Lots of thread left.
Maybe go back to factory tires?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,972 Posts
I replaced my P-Zeroes with Michelin Primacies. I couldn't be happier with them. They are smooth, quiet and have very good grip.

·
Registered
2008 CLK 550 Convertible
76 Posts
I tried looking those up at tirerack, but didn't see the Primacy name. Where did you get them???? My car came with older Pirelli PZero's on the front and new Michelin Pilot sports on the rear. I will probably be buying Michelin's for the front to match, but was curious about the difference with the Primacy ones...

·
Registered
2008 CLK 550 Convertible
76 Posts
I tried looking those up at tirerack, but didn't see the Primacy name. Where did you get them???? My car came with older Pirelli PZero's on the front and new Michelin Pilot sports on the rear. I will probably be buying Michelin's for the front to match, but was curious about the difference with the Primacy ones...
Nevermind, I looked up the name on tirerack and found them. They must not have shown up under my search by car model number (my 550).:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like something is eating your tires...my 2008 CLK on original Continentals at 38k. Lots of thread left.
Wow! I'd like to get 38k on tires for this car. I have always gotten good life out of tires on previous cars but not this one.
The Pirelli tires that are on there now were purchased and installed at a local MBZ dealer.
The front tires still look good. I would think highway driving would be easy on tires vs city stop ad go driving. I wonder what kind a warranty these Pirelli's have on them, since I only got approximately 14k out of the back tires.
I plan to purchase tires within the next 2 to 3 weeks. Maybe I'll see if the local MBZ dealer has or can get the Primacy™ MXM4 tires for me.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,972 Posts
I got my Primacies at Costco (about $950 all four out the door). As for tire warranties, these have a 40K mile guarantee, but that is cut in half for staggered wheel sized due to the inability to rotate. I think that is typical with most tire makers. Also, most performance tires don't come with any warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my Primacies at Costco (about $950 all four out the door). As for tire warranties, these have a 40K mile guarantee, but that is cut in half for staggered wheel sized due to the inability to rotate. I think that is typical with most tire makers. Also, most performance tires don't come with any warranty.
Thanks for the info about tire warranties, I didn't know that. As for Costco I am not a member. The reason I purchased the tires from the dealer last time, was because no one, including Sears, had tires in stock in the size that I needed. And I needed them quick because I had a flat tire that no one would fix, because the tire was worn. The Pirelli's I got from the dealer were $1360 including 4 wheel alignment and road hazard.

·
18,972 Posts
Actually, that's not a bad price. My local dealer advertises competitive tire prices, but I didn't bother to check them because I know they don't do the work themselves - they have a mobile "tire guy" that does it for them. I am just a bit skeptical of those arrangements.

·
Registered
2009 CLK 550 CAB, AMG-appearance pkg, Premium pkg, Comand Nav, ventilated seats, Keyless-go
48 Posts
I put Continental DWS on my wifes CLK 550 not to long ago and they have been great. The tires only have 5K miles on them, but so far they have been awesome. Expected life is 50K miles, but doubt the reas will last that long, tirerack folks stated I should see at least 20k out of the rears ans should get close to 50K out of the fronts.

·
Registered
2011 GL-450 2006 CLK-350 Cabriolet
69 Posts
I replaced my tires with Continental DWS, great tire but they succumb to potholes all to often. If you don't like Conti's then go with Michelin Pilots, it is a highly rated tire for this car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wanted to update this thread and thank everyone for their recommendations.

I had the rear tires replaced with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires. I purchased them through Mr. Tire. The front tires are still good for more mileage.

I wonder why it is that car dealer service shops and tire shops all put too much air in the tires. I always end up taking some out.

Mike

·
18,972 Posts
LOL, yes, even Costco who always seems anal about their tire jobs (only supervisors can torque the lug bolts) always improperly inflates my tires. I like to run mine between the "daily drive" and "100mph+" ranges. It seems to be a good medium between comfort and handling.

·
Registered
2004 CLK 320 Cabriolet
19 Posts
14000 miles with alignment at purchase and highway driving? Guess we now know why they're called Zeros!

·
BenzWorld Elitist
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts
I still swear by my Contis

As for tire warranties, these have a 40K mile guarantee, but that is cut in half for staggered wheel sized due to the inability to rotate.
Wow, first I'd heard of that. One more reason I can't stand staggered wheel sizes. As far as I'm concerned it's a marketing gimmick more than anything else. Unless you're driving a RUF 911 or something :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
I'm with the OP here. The CLK seems to eat tires...:)

My factory-fitted Contis only lasted for 26k miles. I replaced them with Conti 2s which seem to be having the same wear. My previous Toyota Celica would get 40k miles from a set of tires...

·
Registered
2008 CLK 350
21 Posts
Need tire suggestsions

Hello,

I need to replace my rear tires. I currently have continental. I would like an all season tire that will give me a smooth and hopefully somewhat quiet ride. I would like to avoid breaking the bank as well if possible!

I have a 2008 clk 350.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Johnette

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
39 Posts
Hello,

I need to replace my rear tires. I currently have continental. I would like an all season tire that will give me a smooth and hopefully somewhat quiet ride. I would like to avoid breaking the bank as well if possible!

I have a 2008 clk 350.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Johnette
Im in Kansas, with snow/ice winters and summer heat....Continental DWS Extreme's are awesome. I have about 15k on them now and tread is still ~80% on rear 90% on front, quite/soft ride. Just a great all season tire

·
Registered
2008 CLK 350
21 Posts
Tires

Im in Kansas, with snow/ice winters and summer heat....Continental DWS Extreme's are awesome. I have about 15k on them now and tread is still ~80% on rear 90% on front, quite/soft ride. Just a great all season tire

Thanks Tobes! I'd been waiting on feedback on this as I had no clue which tires would be a good bet. I know Continenal has pretty decent prices too for what I hear. I will definitely start looking at these.

Johnette

·
Registered
2011 E550 4MATIC and 2006 CLK350
81 Posts
Tires

Well I just replaced my Michelin Pilots on my 04 E500 4Matic with Mitchelin Primacy MXM4's and these are really smoother and give me better mileage. Just finished a 1000 mile trip from Maryland to Toronto and the ride was unbelievably smooth. For my wife's 06 CLK350, I changed the Bridgestone with Toyo Proxes 4 and so far they are giving a smooth ride.

The Michelin tires I purchased from a palce called Discount Tires 2 go. At first i was a bit sceptical as I never heard of them, but American Express confirmed that they will back me up should I have a problem. The tires were delivered as promised and were about $40 a tire cheaper than Tirerack.
The Toys were purchased locally as they were only approximately $140 a tire.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts