Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my CLK430 with only 13k miles. I just got this ride and noticed that the steering wheel does not bounce back like all cars I have ever driven. If i turn the steering wheel all the way and let go of my hands, it will stay there while the car is in motion. Usually, the steering wheel should return on its own as the car is moving, with out assist. Is this a Mercedes trait? Thanks in Advance.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
The CLK has recirculating ball steering...

compared to the more traditional rack & pinion setup which IMO is better.

There is less driver feel with our setup and could be the reason it stays in position.

Rack & pinion is directly connected to the wheels' shaft so consequently follows the road.

·
Registered
08 gl320 cdi
46 Posts
The non-centering steering is very evident on my ml. A magazine mentioned that a factory s...

The non-centering steering is very evident on my ml. A magazine mentioned that a factory setting of zero caster was the cause of it. I don't notice it as much on my clk...I guess because I drive more agressivly in it and don't let go of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to ALL...

Yeah... it doesn't really give out that characteristic unless you turn it all the way.. then it just sits there.... but no problem as I was just wondering if this is a problem or a characteristic of a benz.

Now.. i gotta figure out what that funny noise is.. on the driver side wheel.. when i go over bumps and a slight angle... Anyone notice this? kind of a thumping sound...

Rob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts