Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between CLKs that are sold in the USA and in Europe (for example, between CLK 320 Coupes)? In the official web sites I can not find any dramatic differences. USA does not seem to have Avantgarde and in America options are sold as packages...

As far as I can see, these differences do not have any effect on safety or pollution. However, I have noticed that it is impossible - or at least very difficult - to get a CoC (Certificate of Conformity) that would allow me buying a CLK in Europe and bringing it to the USA. If I buy the car in the USA, getting the CoC for Europe is not a problem at all.

The background for this question is that I will be moving to the USA. When moving back to Europe, it would be smart to bring a new CLK with me. If there are critical differences in between USA and Euro models I have to be forward thinking when buying the car.

-T

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are quite a few differences but the ones that may matter most are telematics type ...

There are quite a few differences but the ones that may matter most are telematics type stuff. Like tele-aid and phone pre-wiring. The euro car will probably pass a U.S.smog test but some of the emissions equipment is surely different.

The U.S. cars all have increased ground clearance, extra/different lamps, and different trim packages as you had said just to name a few

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: There are quite a few differences...

...The euro car will probably pass a U.S.smog test but some of the emissions equipment is surely different...
In other words, there are some emission-related extras, which are not required in Europe but are defined in the U.S. conformance spec? The car would pass pollution tests without them, but the equipment has to be there because of the law. The U.S. emission equipment is a superset of Euro equipment, and that's why I can bring a CLK from the USA to Europe without any problems, but not from Europe to USA. Right?

...U.S. cars all have increased ground clearance...
Do you mean all U.S. CLKs have a higher suspension than the Euro models? Or do you refer to the fact that I was not able to find an "Avantgarde" model (a bit lower suspension, sporty trims, and blue glasses) in the Mercedes USA web site -> U.S. models look like the Euro model "Elegance".

-T

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dont know if id call them emissions related "extras",Cause theyre not really extra the...

I dont know if id call them emissions related "extras",Cause theyre not really extra theyre just different.Like theyll both have cats and charcoal canisters but the U.S. versions have something different about them.Im not from Europe, so I dont know how hardcore they are these days about that stuff but here in NJ vehicle inspection has turned into a big fiasco in the last few years with the dyno machine to check emissions and a gas tank cap leak check.

The increased ground clearance is on all U.S. models. I think our DOT requires it to be a certain height, But maybe Mercedes wants it higher than that. But the option code is 482 and all our U.S. models have it standard.Even with sport packages[:)]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also Europe's "Avantgarde differs a bit from the U.S.version Avantgarde. Like some say "...

Also Europe's "Avantgarde differs a bit from the U.S.version Avantgarde. Like some say "Avantgarde" right on the shiftknob, sometimes europes Avantgarde gives you aluminum trim while ours gives you "black bird's eye maple"
On a 208 car a CLK430 would have code 954-Avantgarde, and also code 772 for the AMG stuff. Or a CLK320 would come standard with 955-Elegance or you could eliminate it with all of those codes(954 772) optional together not seperate.

Or on a 209 car a CLK500 would come with 772 and 954 standard but the CLK320's optional sport package is now 951 "appearance package" which now differentiates it a bit from the 500 with different interior trim and wheels.

·
Registered
CLK 320
9 Posts
I live in Dublin, Ireland and I can tell you from what I've seen ...

is that we get a much better deal buying a Mercedes from here (the U.S. I mean). I have a CLK 320, and it has many more standard features here in the U.S. then in Europe. For instance, the automatic climate control system is not standard, the sunroof is not standard, the phone and other fiber optic electronic stuff is much different. Honestly, I wouldn't waste your money buying a European CLK ... just buy it from here with European delivery.

·
Registered
CLK 320
1 Posts
You don't want to try to import a euro model to the US . . .

. . . because the US Dept. of Transportation must test and certify so many things (window glass, headlights, taillights, seats, seatbelts, smog equipment, etc.), and all these items must be labelled by the manufacturer with the DOT cert number. You will not be allowed to import a non-US specific model to the US. There are companies that will import the car for you, and replace all the window glass, lights, etc., but this will cost you at least $5,000-$10,000. The only practical course is to order a US model in Germany and have it shipped. Inquire through a dealer in Europe, they may be able to help you; but my guess is that you would have to have a US dealer order it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts