Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 clk convertible, i recently bought it. The top got stuck on me half way, i ended up forcing it closed and since then it wont work at all. I tried opening it manually and closing it to see if it resets it but that didnt work.

When i release the top the windows go down the light turns red and then when i press the button to let the top down the light stays red for a few seconds and then starts blinking. The roll bar is down but i can't get them to go up with the switch. When i press the button for the rollbar i hear a clicking sound coming from the back but thats about it.

What should i do? i really am trying to avoid the dealer cause of there ridiculousness prices. please help

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Maybe disconnecting the battery for about 15 min would help?
I find that sometimes that resets a lot of stuff?
(make sure you have the radio code!)

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the fuses and they were good. I haven't tried disconnecting the battery cause I read somewhere that disconnecting the battery can cause other things not to work properly but I'll give it a shot.

And I also want to replace the relay cause I heard that it can go bad and cause the top not to work

·
Registered
02 clk 55 cabriolet
550 Posts
I checked the fuses and they were good. I haven't tried disconnecting the battery cause I read somewhere that disconnecting the battery can cause other things not to work properly but I'll give it a shot.

And I also want to replace the relay cause I heard that it can go bad and cause the top not to work
Sounds like classic relay failure. Its a pain to get to but just swap the top relay with your fuel pump relay to verify operation

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
i have a 2000 clk convertible, i recently bought it. The top got stuck on me half way, i ended up forcing it closed and since then it wont work at all.
Perhaps that will teach you NOT to abuse a complex piece of kit made up of hydraulic, mechanical and electronic components. So, without knowing how the roof works you decided that brute force was the best way forward. Good luck with your future with this car...:)

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps that will teach you NOT to abuse a complex piece of kit made up of hydraulic, mechanical and electronic components. So, without knowing how the roof works you decided that brute force was the best way forward. Good luck with your future with this car...:)
I HAD NO IDEA HOW THE SYSTEM WORKED! and the sky was getting ready to rain i had no choice.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
If manually opening or closing the top make sure you release the pump pressure by turning the screw located inside the white cone counter-clockwise. Instructions for manually operating soft top is in your manual. Did you make sure the vinyl cover inside the trunk for the soft top is pulled all he way back and hooked? Reason: There's a plastic lever switch in the track of the cover to the right (looking in the trunk from rear) that needs to be engaged (pushed back) or the top will not work.
Also make sure the screw inside the white cone is turned clockwise for the pump to work as well. You'll know if the screw is turned properly because when the screw is turned in the non-manual mode it is nearly impossible to raise or lower the top manually.

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
If manually opening or closing the top make sure you release the pump pressure by turning the screw located inside the white cone counter-clockwise. Instructions for manually operating soft top is in your manual. Did you make sure the vinyl cover inside the trunk for the soft top is pulled all he way back and hooked? Reason: There's a plastic lever switch in the track of the cover to the right (looking in the trunk from rear) that needs to be engaged (pushed back) or the top will not work.

i agree with tbsi430, i had broken the handle off the roof so i just replaced the roof handle mechanism on my clk and went to use the roof and found it wouldnt come down. after the initial disappointment of spending big money on the mechanism, a bit of calming down and rechecking everything it was just the cover in the boot that was undone.

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the sensor in the back is clicked closed, i also zip tied it down just to make sure after closing the cargo cover. still does not work i have a guy changing my convertible top this week cause i have a leak that scotch guard and cylicone spray would not fix. He said he will look into getting the top working. i do have a convertible cable broken but that shouldnt prevent the top from atleast opening half way.

it seems like alot of people have had hydrolic pump issues, it seems like its enough people for MB to have a recall on them but that would never happen

·
Registered
02 clk 55 cabriolet
550 Posts
Ill say it AGAIN... check the relay! The rollbars and the top both get power from the same place... THE RELAY. If neither are working and you are getting a slow blink on the switch, chances are its THE RELAY. The click you are hearing is the relay activating but if the contacts are burned, it wont complete the circut. Swap it with the fuel pump relay to confirm, and it will cost you nothing but time if that is not the fix.

Keyhole is right about not forcing things on the top. Some parts are very delicate and PRICEY!! Practice the manual method before you need it and save yourself the headache. It's easy, simple, and chances are will be needed some unlucky day.

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill say it AGAIN... check the relay! The rollbars and the top both get power from the same place... THE RELAY. If neither are working and you are getting a slow blink on the switch, chances are its THE RELAY. The click you are hearing is the relay activating but if the contacts are burned, it wont complete the circut. Swap it with the fuel pump relay to confirm, and it will cost you nothing but time if that is not the fix.

Keyhole is right about not forcing things on the top. Some parts are very delicate and PRICEY!! Practice the manual method before you need it and save yourself the headache. It's easy, simple, and chances are will be needed some unlucky day.
How do i get to the hydrolic pump so i can check the relay?

·
Registered
02 clk 55 cabriolet
550 Posts
Its under the inspection plate at the back of trunk. bout 20 or so 10mm bolts and a few other things to move out of the way. Start the manual sequence for easiest access from the top. With the top cover in the open position, move the back window up and you will see the large plate you need to remove under the luggage cover. Relay will be right next to the pump. Fuel pump relay (If you want to double check) is located in the fuse block on the pass side under the trunk lining. Go slow and you'll be fine. Watch your clearances moving things in manual mode though. You can damage paint if your not paying attention.

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I had the Relay swapped with the fuel pump and the the top and headrest started working again!!!! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts