Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro just bought a 98 c43. It sounds like a beast. Here's the deal, he wanted to race shortly after he bought his car so I went along with it. I have a 00 clk 320....not to fast. We were both in awe of the sound of the c43 but were not impressed by it's performance. We raced from a dead stop to about 100 a number of times. We stayed almost neck and neck with the c43 pulling ever so slightly away. At 80 he wasn't even a full car ahead of me.

His car seems to run the way it's supposed to and it purrs like you wouldn't believe. The 43 has almost exactly 100hp on my clk...it should toast me. What is going on? Is this normal for the c43, and if so, what can do to make this machine perform like it sounds? Thanks.[?]

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
If BMW put a 4.3 litre engine in a 3 series, you can bet no insurance company would touc...

If BMW put a 4.3 litre engine in a 3 series, you can bet no insurance company would touch it.
When Mercedes put a 4.3 engine in a C, they are building quality with torque where it is needed - in the mid range. The rest is geared down for 'normal' driving.
Thats the difference between MB and BMW.
Your CLK is nippy with the V6, but try having the same race with four up plus luggage, and start the race on a rolling 30mph - your CLK will be in his exhaust vapour!

Now, with this quality, you have plenty to safely play with, good brakes and a superb tough V8.
Try supercharging it - an instant 420hp, add a good chip, 450hp. Change the final drive and you will have 0-60 in 4 seconds, unlock the top speed limiter and 170mph is quickly reached.

But dont do this - a C43, next to a c55 is a classic MB, one of the best models made...

Or, I'll go better than Dan - swap my 280 Kompressor 310 hp for it, it will leave your CLK, then we will have a happy cousin and a happy me as 43s are like hens teeth over here...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply

I didn't mean to upset you, or imply that my 320 is anything special...cause it's not. My question was simply put....why? We are both curious. I had told my brother the exact same thing, "try having the same race with four up plus luggage" and then lets race again. All I have to do is listen to the c43 and "know" it has power without even seeing the specs on it. Oh, about the supercharging thing, we're already ahead of you on that one....we're in the processing of charging both of our cars. His will have around 430hp and mine about 320. We will post our results on each board. Thanks for the input.[:)]

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Upset? Me? nah.
Why? its something to with German culture, bimmer drivers want more buzz ...

Upset? Me? nah.
Why? its something to with German culture, bimmer drivers want more buzz but when they graduate to MB, they take a more quiet approach to life...unless anyone has any other ideas...

Supercharging is the best mod on a MB V6 or V8. but to get the best performance look at the final drive ratio as well. Reduce it no more than 10% (expensive tho) and all those extra hp eat up a standing quarter. Or, if you want the odd race only, then have a set of spare 17 wheels with very ultra low profile tyres and ignore the higher speedo readings.

What Kompressor do you propose? I looked long and hard plumping for a cold air one, more expensive, but less pressure, consequently less strain on the lower end. Let me know how you get on?

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
Re: Upset? Me? nah.Why? its something to with German culture, bimmer drivers want more buzz

What Kompressor do you propose? I looked long and hard plumping for a cold air one, more expensive, but less pressure, consequently less strain on the lower end.
Sounds like you need a Kleeman.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Custom setup

We are both planning to use a 4th generation Magnuson (eaton) twin screw charger. Probably the mp90 model. I plan to boost my 320 at 4pst while he is taking the 5psi pressure with a different pulley diameter. We have a master mechanic making the prints for the mounting brackets and his SC is on the way. We are mimicing proven method from other manufacturers at a considerable discount....about 5k less than the lowest price....10k. I am going to see how his turns out first then I will follow suit. I'll keep everyone on both forums posted, I might even be able to get other members car charged if they want to do it for half the price.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
As we work in metric over here, I am rusty on psi - but 4 or 5psi sounds good. Half a BAR ...

As we work in metric over here, I am rusty on psi - but 4 or 5psi sounds good. Half a BAR ( I think about 7psi ) puts a 15% strain on the bearings which is well within the MB design limits so you should not be leaving a trail of con-rods and pistons behind you..

Appreciate the cost element, but Dan is right, Kleeman have a great package, ready made to bolt straight on, the 43K package is a brute. I have seen an E430 with it fitted which really goes well, and the slight kompressor whine blends well with the 430 sound.
I have not driven a 320 with a Kleeman unit, but if like the 280, you will feel the difference in a big way!

I'll watch out for your results...

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
are you sure your brother knows how to drive (no ofense) because i raced a 2002 clk430 and...

are you sure your brother knows how to drive (no ofense) because i raced a 2002 clk430 and at 100mph was far in my rear view mirror or maybe the c43 its fake or garbage and your brothe got ripped off.

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
Yup, for my money I would go with the Kleeman.

Atleast you would have a warranty when y...

Yup, for my money I would go with the Kleeman.

Atleast you would have a warranty when you blow up your engine[:D] Kleeman, Carlsson, Brabus, RennTech, Lorinser, all offer warranties to back up their cars.

I admire youridea of building your own, but sometimes you have to put sometimes you have to do it the right way, and that cost money. I would trust engineers over a 'master mechanic' anyday.

I am not trying to be an ass, but what kind of mechanic is he?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He knows a little bit about driving. He been racing everything since he could walk. I'm ...

He knows a little bit about driving. He been racing everything since he could walk. I'm telling you, it's the car. Thats why we think something is not right. His car should have blown me away.

Let me ask you this: If one car has 100 more hp than the other (which is approx. 1/3 more power than my clk) if both people floor it and go in a straight line, who should win...with no comparison?? How much do you need to know about driving to put your foot all the way down when the light turns green? These cars drive themselves in a straight line, traction control, etc.

BTW, it is definitely a c43 the title says it, carfax says it, and i day it, all you have to do is listen to it. The only thing I can think it might be is something wrong with the transmission, maybe it's slipping or something. I doubt, however, this is the case because the guy my brother bought the car from bought it from the dealer only 1000 miles before. The mercedes dealers are usually pretty good about not reselling junk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts