Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Boston...my first set of tires is on its last legs...what are the best options for:<br> <br> 1. Snow tires?<br> <br> 2. All season tires?<br> <br> If I need tires in Sept/Oct, should I get the snow tires put on and drive them thru April...?<br> <br> What kind of degredation in performance will I notice (any) between H rated and Z rated tires?

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
Re:

What I would suggest is hold off as long as you can ( late fall would be perfect) on getting new tires and then purchase dedicated winter tire for your OE wheels, and in the spring time get another set of wheels with dedicated sumer tires. This will give you the best possible grip, performance, and traction in all conditions. If you can not hold off until fall get some good summer tires for now and get dedicated winter tires in the fall

Luke

·
Registered
10 Posts
What about Michelin Pilot Sport AS's?

The gut at tirerack.com recommends them highly and says they'll be fine in the snow?

·
1,386 Posts
I agree they are very good for all-season tires but, I typically want the absolute best gr...

I agree they are very good for all-season tires but, I typically want the absolute best grip in all conditions and there is not a compromise (i.e. all-season) tire that can offer the level of grip I want for winter and summer use in one

·
1,386 Posts
I agree they are very good for all-season tires but, I typically want the absolute best gr...

I agree they are very good for all-season tires but, I typically want the absolute best grip in all conditions and there is not a compromise (i.e. all-season) tire that can offer the level of grip I want for winter and summer use in one

·
Registered
10 Posts
I may have this expensive car, but

I am not sure I will ever be able to tell the difference between tire A and tire B, let alone the grip?

How would the "ride" be different?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have michelin pilot sport a/s tires. I got them a few weeks ago. I tried them in the...

I have michelin pilot sport a/s tires. I got them a few weeks ago. I tried them in the rain and I really like them. The tread pattern isnt quite as agressive as the pilot sports. If you hold off til winter I can test them in the snow. I love them in the rain, and they ride awesome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I just got the Pilot Sport AS's!

First of all, the difference in new tires vs. old tires is HUGE...like a whole different car!

Despite the fact that I didn't need an alignment, the tread had worn to the point that the car was pulling...also steering was more difficult, because the tires weren't "flat/even".

Now it's like a dream.

I guess 18-19,000 miles is the limit: seems like 15,000 miles in more practical.

These babies are pretty pricey though: the whole set cost me $1,040 with tax, mounted and balanced, including tire insurance ($90...I know it's probably a waste, but it includes free balancing every 6 months too).

Whether I can survice with them in the snow or not...we'll have to see?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts