Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 02' CLK 430 & love it! Drive's like a dream but I was wondering if anybody knew the standing mile time and unlimited top speed? With the limiter mine reaches 138 mph easily and stops there. There's a company in Germany who said they could reprogram it & it would go up to 169 mph with a 17 hp gain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have stock AMG 17s with 245/35-17 & 255/55-17 in the rear. I know the tires are wider than stock.
I recently was doing donuts in the rain in an empty parking lot & my speedo reached 155ish before letting off. :D How is that possible when I can't pass 138 driving in a straight flat road? Was it just confusing the cpu?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You can take your ECU out and send to a chip tuner like INMotionusa, PowerChip, Speedtuning etc., etc here in the states and accomplish the same thing as the Germany company. Each company claims different hrspwr and torque increases and charges different prices(of course). I used INMotionusa several years ago when the price was REALLY reasonable. Noticed good seat of the pants dyno improvement in performance and, 31mpg on the highway at 65mph on my 99/320. It was definitely worth the $200 I spent. INMotion Tuning® USA Mercedes Tunings

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inmotion USA seems great! Thanx for the link! I'll call them tomorrow. I'm getting 26.7 right now at 80 mph (yes I speed a bit & that seems to seem the best speed for mpg haha) & if I could get around 30 I would be really happy! I'm also going to eventually upgrade the exhaust, Intake & hopefully get my headers ported & polished. All of those with the ECU should put me around 34. Doing all of those & a bit more to my dad's Hummer H2 we raised it from 6mpg avg to 16 mpg.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You can take your ECU out and send to a chip tuner like INMotionusa, PowerChip, Speedtuning etc., etc here in the states and accomplish the same thing as the Germany company. Each company claims different hrspwr and torque increases and charges different prices(of course). I used INMotionusa several years ago when the price was REALLY reasonable. Noticed good seat of the pants dyno improvement in performance and, 31mpg on the highway at 65mph on my 99/320. It was definitely worth the $200 I spent. INMotion Tuning® USA Mercedes Tunings
That's funny they seem to be allot like and have the same numbers as this UK place.

Mercedes Ecu Remapping by Remap Science

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Inmotion said it would be $400, price went up just a little bit. Haha
Hopefully these other guys will b cheaper.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gino, before you spend too much, there's several threads here plus other websites I've visited that go into specific detail showing reprogramming the ECU and that other stuff does very little. Note Williams 707 lives in Yokohama. I have no reason to doubt what he says but I don't think it has much relevance to our US spec cars. Don't believe the hype, these companies are just trying to sell you something. Especially the ECU and air cleaners, actual dyno testing shows squat for those two. All reprogramming the ECU does is remove the limiter and quicken the throttle response but it produces no HP gain at all. Maybe a bit better mileage, don't know but going from 26 to 30 on a 430 AMG with the way you drive? Are you sure you're really getting 26 or is that just what the display says? You can't really compare what somebody gets with a 320 either. Completely different drivetrain.

It's your money and it's fun to modify your new toy but you have to look at actual dyno or track numbers, just going by how it feels means nothing because the computer will change throttle and tranny shifting response just by how you drive. If you're stuck in heavy traffic for several days driving your grandma to the doctor, the computer will soften up the characteristics and you'll think what happened to my little hot rod but a few more days of your normal racing around and it's back to what you want.

Here in California we can't go radically changing the exhuast system because then the cars won't pass the smog check without spending really big money. Maybe down there in Arkansas they don't have that, they just want you to be able to outrun them thar dastardly revinooers.;)

For those not in the US, that's the Internal Revenue Service. They have a history of busting good ole boys out in the woods making illegal moonshine. Lots of legendary car chases.

Bob

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
So far the only difference I know is that my Japanese CLK does not have ODBII or Primary CATS. Not sure what else is different.

The first time I did the ECU Tune with PowerChip I lost allot of HP but gained some good Torque. Luckily I did a before and after dyno so I was able to get a full refund. A little over 1 year later PowerChip came back to me with a better ECU tune where they increased my HP by +20. First time the ECU was sent to PowerChip US and the second PowerChip AU which seems they do a different tune. With that said, there must be some differences.

Unfortunately not allot of people are doing a before and after dyno to gauge actual performance results. I try and do a before and after dyno before all performance mod changes and recommend others do the same.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Der, dader Daar der

I recently bought an 02' CLK 430 & love it! Drive's like a dream but I was wondering if anybody knew the standing mile time and unlimited top speed? With the limiter mine reaches 138 mph easily and stops there. There's a company in Germany who said they could reprogram it & it would go up to 169 mph with a 17 hp gain.
CLK 430 AMG, 138 mph, AR.... I'm not gonna say it but yeah. I'm definitely thinking it

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jazzmammal, I'm really not very found of getting my computer reprogrammed by anybody unless I pull my car into there garage but I can't find any computer programmers for it. I know those work great & I believe racing chips & things that trick ur computer are not worth it. Like my dad's H2 we got a Hypertech programmer & gained 20 HP, 17 tq & about 2mpg. We also got it up to 128 mph compared to 98 previously (ran out of road) but he's also pushing 437 hp to the wheels.

And yea, my dash said I was getting 26.7 mpg while leaving the cruise at 82 mph. It says I get 25.4 at 70mph & 21ish city. One tank (16gallons) will normally last me about 400 miles with mainly highway use.

Yea Cali laws are really strict. I'm originally from San Fernando Valley so I know how it is over there. & we don't have emissions tests or anything over here so we can do just about anything to help us get our boxes of mason jars past these here revinooers. :p

I'm also going to make more upgrades like exhaust, intake if any besides filters which I have already changed, try to get my headers & intake manifold ported & polished, throttle body spacer if any & anything else I can find besides turbos or supercharges for now.:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far the only difference I know is that my Japanese CLK does not have ODBII or Primary CATS. Not sure what else is different.

The first time I did the ECU Tune with PowerChip I lost allot of HP but gained some good Torque. Luckily I did a before and after dyno so I was able to get a full refund. A little over 1 year later PowerChip came back to me with a better ECU tune where they increased my HP by +20. First time the ECU was sent to PowerChip US and the second PowerChip AU which seems they do a different tune. With that said, there must be some differences.

Unfortunately not allot of people are doing a before and after dyno to gauge actual performance results. I try and do a before and after dyno before all performance mod changes and recommend others do the same.

Hope this helps.
Yea it does, thanks Williams. I just checked PowerChip & I don't really feel like handing over $690 for 20 hp gain. Do any of you know anything about Speed Tuning? Speed Tuning They claim to get 300 hp from a stock? 279 hp for $299.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CLK 430 AMG, 138 mph, AR.... I'm not gonna say it but yeah. I'm definitely thinking it
What's so hard to believe about that? Arkansas isn't as bad as everybody comes to believe including my self before I moved here. I topped out my mom's SLK 230 to 148 mph & we got to 190 in my friends Porsche GT2, so what's so hard to believe about 138? & yes, we do have straight paved roads in case u didn't think we did. ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yea it does, thanks Williams. I just checked PowerChip & I don't really feel like handing over $690 for 20 hp gain. Do any of you know anything about Speed Tuning? Speed Tuning They claim to get 300 hp from a stock? 279 hp for $299.
With the increased mileage you will save money on gas that will pay for the tune.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Post Something Stupid, Reckless And Illegal, It Lasts A Lifetime

What's so hard to believe about that? Arkansas isn't as bad as everybody comes to believe including my self before I moved here. I topped out my mom's SLK 230 to 148 mph & we got to 190 in my friends Porsche GT2, so what's so hard to believe about 138? & yes, we do have straight paved roads in case u didn't think we did. ;)
OK, are you a Poser or ignorant ? Could you tell what your car is(nt) ? I want to see your reaction to what you post from others who know you have a plain Jane, Mercedes.

I've been to AR. Not an issue. Hope you can afford a reckless driving charge. Do cars get impounded for that in AR ? You don't need a Mercedes, you need a Bullet train :eek:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
OK, are you a Poser or ignorant ? Could you tell what your car is(nt) ? I want to see your reaction to what you post from others who know you have a plain Jane, Mercedes.

I've been to AR. Not an issue. Hope you can afford a reckless driving charge. Do cars get impounded for that in AR ? You don't need a Mercedes, you need a Bullet train :eek:
I would do anything to own a Bullet Train, they are awesome :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

How would testing my cars (limited) limits make me a poser or ignorant? Most true car enthusiasts test there cars limits, especially when there sport cars. I know we have LUXURY sport cars, but it's still a sporty car with a 4.3 V8 with 275 hp & 300 ft-lb torque. So whats so bad about testing the top speed, especially when Euro spec reaches 155 & designed for high speeds like on the autobahn? And if your relating to my 82 in a 70, I have to make a 2 hr trip to go from University of Arkansas to my home town, so I like to shorten the trip a bit.

Ok good, when I go to Cali, a lot of people over there ask me "isn't AR a state?" when I tell them I live here.

Only problem with bullet trains is that u can't drift in them :p But I wouldn't mind having a personal one with a spot to pull my cars in :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
How would testing my cars (limited) limits make me a poser or ignorant? Most true car enthusiasts test there cars limits, especially when there sport cars. I know we have LUXURY sport cars, but it's still a sporty car with a 4.3 V8 with 275 hp & 300 ft-lb torque. So whats so bad about testing the top speed, especially when Euro spec reaches 155 & designed for high speeds like on the autobahn? And if your relating to my 82 in a 70, I have to make a 2 hr trip to go from University of Arkansas to my home town, so I like to shorten the trip a bit.

Ok good, when I go to Cali, a lot of people over there ask me "isn't AR a state?" when I tell them I live here.

Only problem with bullet trains is that u can't drift in them :p But I wouldn't mind having a personal one with a spot to pull my cars in :D
Not sure how many people have actually seen or been on a Bullet Train but I just want one to have some wild parties with some hot chicks running around on. :cool:

·
Banned
2,004 Posts

Posting in your sign on your car is " CLK 430 AMG" is poser ignorant.

Posting you drove on State highways which could have caused serious damage or injury to others is criminal. For your sake I hope you get caught before you hurt someone else. It's illegal and as bad as driving drunk or smoking crack.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts