Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, 3 years old i am looking to repair the convertible to the clk manufactured in 2001.04.- w208-. Am from Romania and nobody repare here old models! My error code on star diagnose is [ solenoid valve Y56/3y4 "soft top bow closed"
Thank you for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
367 Posts
Hello, 3 years old i am looking to repair the convertible to the clk manufactured in 2001.04.- w208-. Am from Romania and nobody repare here old models! My error code on star diagnose is [ solenoid valve Y56/3y4 "soft top bow closed" Thank you for the help!
Hello Bogdan clk

It is usually achievable by a wrench handy CLK320 (A208) owner to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair their power roof system for short money (e.g. inexpensively).

During power roof operation, the roof's controller cyclically evaluates the status of a number of position/limit switches each stage of roof operation and if successful, the hydraulic pump's valve bock channels hydraulic fluid to an appropriate hydraulic cylinder (e.g. a ram), which is necessary to complete the opening or closing of the roof.

The STAR SDS diagnostic system actually uses the electrical actualization status of the position/limit switches to determine specific diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).

In your case, the Y56/3y4 "soft top bow closed' DTC indicates the stage of roof operation where the failure occurred, but not specifically what roof component has failed to cause the fault. It just means that, from the controller's evaluation of a position/limit switch, the 3y4 valve block solenoid has taken to long to actuate (e.g. determined by a watch-dog timer in the controller) and the system creases operation. At this time, some additional troubleshooting will determine the cause of the fault.

At this time, it appears that the controller thinks that your rear bow is not properly closed and locked, which can be checked and verified by disconnecting the 55 pin connector from the controller to see if a couple of the position/limit switches have properly actuated (e.g. just using a multi-meter set to read ohms to see if the contacts are open or closed). By the way, switches are quite reliable and if one is not being properly actuated, it's because the mechanism that triggers it, is the culprit.

You should also know that during 2001, MB made numerous significant upgrades to the W208/A208. On the later production A208 convertible, the hydraulic pump assembly, soft top compartment position/limit switch and controller were changed. The specifics of what upgrades your MY 2001 have, depends on the month it was built. That said, the VIN you entered into the MB STAR SDS indicates that you have the newer Y56/3yx pump assembly value block that only has 5 solenoids and not the former Y56/2yx valve block that used 7 solenoids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I have observed that you and mister Klaus you are the most connoisseurs! I bought al the back 4 switches! With whom i recommend to start? With another universal diagnosis i have the error code B1647 [ power solen.valve/ power window motor -//- => Ambient data

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Bogdan clk

It is usually achievable by a wrench handy CLK320 (A208) owner to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair their power roof system for short money (e.g. inexpensively).

During power roof operation, the roof's controller cyclically evaluates the status of a number of position/limit switches each stage of roof operation and if successful, the hydraulic pump's valve bock channels hydraulic fluid to an appropriate hydraulic cylinder (e.g. a ram), which is necessary to complete the opening or closing of the roof.

The STAR SDS diagnostic system actually uses the electrical actualization status of the position/limit switches to determine specific diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).

In your case, the Y56/3y4 "soft top bow closed' DTC indicates the stage of roof operation where the failure occurred, but not specifically what roof component has failed to cause the fault. It just means that, from the controller's evaluation of a position/limit switch, the 3y4 valve block solenoid has taken to long to actuate (e.g. determined by a watch-dog timer in the controller) and the system creases operation. At this time, some additional troubleshooting will determine the cause of the fault.

At this time, it appears that the controller thinks that your rear bow is not properly closed and locked, which can be checked and verified by disconnecting the 55 pin connector from the controller to see if a couple of the position/limit switches have properly actuated (e.g. just using a multi-meter set to read ohms to see if the contacts are open or closed). By the way, switches are quite reliable and if one is not being properly actuated, it's because the mechanism that triggers it, is the culprit.

You should also know that during 2001, MB made numerous significant upgrades to the W208/A208. On the later production A208 convertible, the hydraulic pump assembly, soft top compartment position/limit switch and controller were changed. The specifics of what upgrades your MY 2001 have, depends on the month it was built. That said, the VIN you entered into the MB STAR SDS indicates that you have the newer Y56/3yx pump assembly value block that only has 5 solenoids and not the former Y56/2yx valve block that used 7 solenoids.
Thanks for the quick response! I have observed that you and mister Klaus you are the most connoisseurs! I bought al the back 4 switches! With whom i recommend to start? With another universal diagnosis i have the error code B1647 [ power solen.valve/ power window motor -//- => Ambient data

·
Registered
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
367 Posts
Bogdan clk

DTC B1647 alone is insufficient, as there should also be 2 additional digits added at the end (in the form of B1647 xx ), where xx indicates that a specific valve body solenoid has not actuated or that the controller is not supplying power to operate the left or right rear window motor.

My suggestion would be to start at the beginning, to better understand where your power roof fails to operate correctly.

Following are descriptions showing the important stages of roof operation, that the controller uses when opening or closing the power roof.

Note: I show both as it's not clear if your problem occurs when the roof is being opened or closed.

What is the the last stage that operated normally as well as the stage that is not operating correctly?

Also. as explained in the document below, the condition of the lamp in the power roof's operating switch (e.g. located on the center console), shows some additional information regarding the status and function of the power roof, that could be helpful to properly troubleshoot what is occurring.

Carefully review the documents and advise further.

Did I understand you correctly......that you have already purchased 4 position/limit switches and want to know which one to start replacing?

If so, your trowing money out the window, as well as may not even solve the problem with your power roof operation. What first needs to occur is troubleshoot (e.g. identify) the faulty component, that is causing the DTC.

As previously mentioned, the basis of the power roof operation and the Star SDS DTC fault codes is based on evaluating the actualizations of the position/limit switches, which can be done using a multi-meter, which will show whether or not the switch has properly actuated (e.g. triggered) at a particular stage of roof operation.

Given your Y56/3y4 "soft top bow closed" DTC, my preliminary thought was that the controller is not permitting your rear bow to close and lock properly and the logical next step would be to investigate that the switches asociated with the rear bow up/down movement and lock cylinder operations. If a particular switch has not actuated properly, it does not mean that the switch is faulty, but more than likely, it's the mechanism that triggers the switch that is faulty and requires repair.

That said, I have another question. When you turn the key to position 2 or start the car, the lamp in the roll bar dash operating switch will blink for about 20 seconds and then turn off. Does it turn off?

The reason I ask, is that if the controller thinks that the roll bar is not fully lowered, to provide the required clearances, the rear bow is prohibited from being raised or lowered. Even though the roll bar looks lowered, the controller must see that the 'roll bar retracted' position/limit switch has triggered properly.

The key to repairing your power roof is just following the same logical progression that is programed in the roof's controller and eliminating possibilities, in a proper orderly one by one fashion.

Once finding the actual underlying cause, the reward will be an operational power roof that has been repaired for little or no money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bogdan clk

DTC B1647 alone is insufficient, as there should also be 2 additional digits added at the end (in the form of B1647 xx ), where xx indicates that a specific valve body solenoid has not actuated or that the controller is not supplying power to operate the left or right rear window motor.

My suggestion would be to start at the beginning, to better understand where your power roof fails to operate correctly.

Following are descriptions showing the important stages of roof operation, that the controller uses when opening or closing the power roof.

Note: I show both as it's not clear if your problem occurs when the roof is being opened or closed.

What is the the last stage that operated normally as well as the stage that is not operating correctly?

View attachment 2613965

View attachment 2613964

Also. as explained in the document below, the condition of the lamp in the power roof's operating switch (e.g. located on the center console), shows some additional information regarding the status and function of the power roof, that could be helpful to properly troubleshoot what is occurring.

Carefully review the documents and advise further.

View attachment 2613967
Did I understand you correctly......that you have already purchased 4 position/limit switches and want to know which one to start replacing?

If so, your trowing money out the window, as well as may not even solve the problem with your power roof operation. What first needs to occur is troubleshoot (e.g. identify) the faulty component, that is causing the DTC.

As previously mentioned, the basis of the power roof operation and the Star SDS DTC fault codes is based on evaluating the actualizations of the position/limit switches, which can be done using a multi-meter, which will show whether or not the switch has properly actuated (e.g. triggered) at a particular stage of roof operation.

Given your Y56/3y4 "soft top bow closed" DTC, my preliminary thought was that the controller is not permitting your rear bow to close and lock properly and the logical next step would be to investigate that the switches asociated with the rear bow up/down movement and lock cylinder operations. If a particular switch has not actuated properly, it does not mean that the switch is faulty, but more than likely, it's the mechanism that triggers the switch that is faulty and requires repair.

That said, I have another question. When you turn the key to position 2 or start the car, the lamp in the roll bar dash operating switch will blink for about 20 seconds and then turn off. Does it turn off?

The reason I ask, is that if the controller thinks that the roll bar is not fully lowered, to provide the required clearances, the rear bow is prohibited from being raised or lowered. Even though the roll bar looks lowered, the controller must see that the 'roll bar retracted' position/limit switch has triggered properly.

The key to repairing your power roof is just following the same logical progression that is programed in the roof's controller and eliminating possibilities, in a proper orderly one by one fashion.

Once finding the actual underlying cause, the reward will be an operational power roof that has been repaired for little or no money.
Hello,
I noticed that when the lever roof opens,the rollbar does not descendent with the windows! When the windows reach the red light starts to blink! I noticed that though The rollbar works correctly at the on-bord button.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update! Work,work,work(me)
At the closing cycle it stops at cycle 5>6. When it has to lift up,the pump goes but does not lift! Saw that N52 requires the temp inside! At diagnosis is shows me 80°C inside sensor B10/4! That would be the defect four the soft top???
Thanks.....

·
Registered
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
367 Posts
Hello,
I noticed that when the lever roof opens,the rollbar does not descendent with the windows! When the windows reach the red light starts to blink! I noticed that though The rollbar works correctly at the on-bord button.
From the document that describes the critical stages of roof operation, that occur when opening the roof, your have a malfunction at stage 2 (e.g. which may even be present at stage 1), that is stopping the roof from progressing to stage 3. Note: The roof operations in a stage must be 100% completed in order for the roof to proceed to the next stage.

Specifically, during stage 2, the front and rear open electrically (e.g. if previously closed) and the rollbar is retracted hydraulically (e.g. if previously extended). Note: At the completion of stage 2, the controller will know that the rollbar has been fully lowered, because the rollbar retracted switch was properly actuated (e.g. controller pin #16 will be set to vehicle ground).

Additionally, the power roof and rollbar operation is dependent on having proper vehicle electrical power and hydraulic system pressure.

Electrical power to the roof rollbar system is supplied by 5 fused circuits.

They are in position 15, inside fuse block F1, which is located in the engine compartment and in positions 10 - 13, inside fuse block F4, which is located in the trunk behind the battery.

When checking fuses don't rely on just what you see through the sight glass or just checking that voltage is present on both the input and output sides of the fuse. Pull the fuse and check the fuse contacts and socket for corrosion that will limit the current the fuse will pass. Note this is specially true on fuses in the F4 fuse box that are required to pass the high currents to operate the rear window motors, hydraulic pump etc...

Additionally, there is an inspection flap that's cut into the carpeting of the trunk's rear panel to check the level of the hydraulic fluid. Make sure it's between the marked minimum and maximum levels.

Update! Work,work,work(me)
At the closing cycle it stops at cycle 5>6. When it has to lift up,the pump goes but does not lift! Saw that N52 requires the temp inside! At diagnosis is shows me 80°C inside sensor B10/4! That would be the defect four the soft top???
Thanks.....
Diagnoses, using the stages of roof operation to is extremely useful because it follows and points to the same events that the roof's controller uses when opening or closing the roof (e.g. as well as Star SDS diagnostic DTCs). Once the area of where the failure is occurring, it's just a matter of some basic trouble shooting to pinpoint (e.g. typically finding an unusual limit/position switch setting) and then determining the underlying cause (e.g. malfunctioning hydraulics, switch, wiring etc.), that needs to be repaired.

In the past I also included a chart showing the actualization's of the position/limit switches, solenoids etc., required at each stage. To avoid confusion, because of the numerous upgrades made to the power roof system during 2001 production, they were not included. However, although the chart still works for later production models, with appropriate adjustments made for the upgraded components.

The initial phase of troubleshooting typically involves disconnecting the controller's harness connector, which allows you to check the position/limit switch actualization's against what is required before and during each roof stage.

Given what what you're now saying about the stage of failure, when closing the roof, I'll have a look later, to see that provides any additional information.

Since your does not operate correctly, the only way you were able to see what occurs when the roof is being opened, was to first manually position the roof in the open position, which as described in the practical hints section of the owner's manual, involves manually lowering the hydraulic pressure as well as opening/closing/unlocking/locking the rear bow and compartment cover. Before attempting power roof operation, make sure you restore full hydraulic pressure and set the limit switches for the rear bow and cover back to where the controller expects them to be.

The B10/4 in-car temperature switchover sensor is located in the N70 overhead control panel module (e.g. next to the rear view mirror, which also contains the dome lighting, rain sensor etc.). The module communicates with the N52 power roof controller via the CANBus and provides the chime that should sound upon each successful roof opening and closure and the purpose of the B10/4 temperature sensor is only to bypass (e.g. prevent) the air conditioning compressor from running when the roof is open.

BTW, 80 degrees C is extremely high and unusual, as I believe you're currently experiencing Winter conditions in Romania (e.g. nearer 0 degrees C).

·
Registered
8 Posts
From the document that describes the critical stages of roof operation, that occur when opening the roof, your have a malfunction at stage 2 (e.g. which may even be present at stage 1), that is stopping the roof from progressing to stage 3. Note: The roof operations in a stage must be 100% completed in order for the roof to proceed to the next stage.

Specifically, during stage 2, the front and rear open electrically (e.g. if previously closed) and the rollbar is retracted hydraulically (e.g. if previously extended). Note: At the completion of stage 2, the controller will know that the rollbar has been fully lowered, because the rollbar retracted switch was properly actuated (e.g. controller pin #16 will be set to vehicle ground).

Additionally, the power roof and rollbar operation is dependent on having proper vehicle electrical power and hydraulic system pressure.

Electrical power to the roof rollbar system is supplied by 5 fused circuits.

They are in position 15, inside fuse block F1, which is located in the engine compartment and in positions 10 - 13, inside fuse block F4, which is located in the trunk behind the battery.

When checking fuses don't rely on just what you see through the sight glass or just checking that voltage is present on both the input and output sides of the fuse. Pull the fuse and check the fuse contacts and socket for corrosion that will limit the current the fuse will pass. Note this is specially true on fuses in the F4 fuse box that are required to pass the high currents to operate the rear window motors, hydraulic pump etc...

Additionally, there is an inspection flap that's cut into the carpeting of the trunk's rear panel to check the level of the hydraulic fluid. Make sure it's between the marked minimum and maximum levels.

Diagnoses, using the stages of roof operation to is extremely useful because it follows and points to the same events that the roof's controller uses when opening or closing the roof (e.g. as well as Star SDS diagnostic DTCs). Once the area of where the failure is occurring, it's just a matter of some basic trouble shooting to pinpoint (e.g. typically finding an unusual limit/position switch setting) and then determining the underlying cause (e.g. malfunctioning hydraulics, switch, wiring etc.), that needs to be repaired.

In the past I also included a chart showing the actualization's of the position/limit switches, solenoids etc., required at each stage. To avoid confusion, because of the numerous upgrades made to the power roof system during 2001 production, they were not included. However, although the chart still works for later production models, with appropriate adjustments made for the upgraded components.

The initial phase of troubleshooting typically involves disconnecting the controller's harness connector, which allows you to check the position/limit switch actualization's against what is required before and during each roof stage.

Given what what you're now saying about the stage of failure, when closing the roof, I'll have a look later, to see that provides any additional information.

Since your does not operate correctly, the only way you were able to see what occurs when the roof is being opened, was to first manually position the roof in the open position, which as described in the practical hints section of the owner's manual, involves manually lowering the hydraulic pressure as well as opening/closing/unlocking/locking the rear bow and compartment cover. Before attempting power roof operation, make sure you restore full hydraulic pressure and set the limit switches for the rear bow and cover back to where the controller expects them to be.

The B10/4 in-car temperature switchover sensor is located in the N70 overhead control panel module (e.g. next to the rear view mirror, which also contains the dome lighting, rain sensor etc.). The module communicates with the N52 power roof controller via the CANBus and provides the chime that should sound upon each successful roof opening and closure and the purpose of the B10/4 temperature sensor is only to bypass (e.g. prevent) the air conditioning compressor from running when the roof is open.

BTW, 80 degrees C is extremely high and unusual, as I believe you're currently experiencing Winter conditions in Romania (e.g. nearer 0 degrees C).

Attachments

61 - 71 of 71 Posts